“I would not stay here again”

Beechlawn House Hotel
Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here on Friday 24th august 2012 for my brothers wedding party. On arrival I was given room 212 which is a smoking room which I had not requested. Room seemed fine until i went to wash my hands and couldnt get the tap to turn of so I tried pushing it down and got it turned of. Later in the evening my friend was washing her hands and the top of the tap flew of and water gusshed all over the bathroom at such a force. The bath room was totally flooding rapidly, at this stage we had to leave the room and the hotel manager was trying to get it stoped. I then had to move rooms with the help of my friends moving my stuff from my room. My best frieds shoes were totally ruined. One of my friends mentioned that her boyfriend was a plumber and the hotel manager asked would he be able to get it stopped. Her boyfriend eventually got it stopped at which stage he was soaked. The next morning I got up and the toilet wouldnt flush and the shower was not working which meant I couldnt get showered or anything before breakfast. I went to the hotel reception and explained my shower was not working and the toilet wouldn't flush which i was told yes no ones is working, it should be on soon. When I went to breakfast their was only one girl serving breakfast which meant we had to wait over half an hour to order our breakfast, which was not worth waiting on as the bacon was very salty totally over cooked and floating in fat and not value for money at all. We had to wait again on toast which was cold. I went back to my room still with no shower or toilet working so i had to check out by eleven. So I went to reception to check out and everyone had been given 20% off their bill due to the toilets and showers not working. I explained to the girl on reception I wasn't happy due to all the inconvience I had. She said well you got a new room and help to move I explained it was my friends helped me to move. I then asked to see a mananger who told me I could get a shower now (which was 11 am and i had to check out by 11am and was all packed). I explanied I wasn't happy about paying so much for all the inconvience I had he explained to me he couldn't do anything else and I would have to pay it and some one would ring me, so I paid the bill and left. No one rang me so I rang on the sunday evening and was told by the same manager that the girl I needed to speak to wont be in until Tuesday so i left it to 9pm on tuesday night and rang. I was then told there is nothing more can be done I explained to the manager it would be nice if the managment had the decency to stick to their word and phone me back. I also explained it was my friends boyfriend who got the water stopped to which he told me he wasn't asked which he was. I would love to have seen how much more flooding damage would of been done and the cost of calling a plumber out. I was very irrate at this stage and said is there absolutely nothing else I can do then thats just it? He then explained all I could do would be to write a complaint to the hotel owners. After the phone call I thought really what is the point if they cant phone me back there not going to write back. My workplace had been considering going here for our christmas dinner as they had got information sent out to them as they do every year. After hearing about the way I was spoken to and treated my boss has decided to go else were. I would not reccommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank adele91
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Beechlawn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

On behalf of the Beechlawn House Hotel, I wish to respond to your review.
At the Beechlawn House Hotel we pride ourselves in providing a very high standard of friendly, professional and attentive service, excellent food and beverage, in clean and comfortable surroundings.

On investigating your review in great depth I would like to make the following comments:
a. Your booking for 24th August 2012, was made a few months earlier on 6th February and a smoking room was requested and booked for you by someone of the same surname as yourself and the room number you were in was 214.
b. Once again, we would like to offer our sincere thanks to your friend’s boyfriend for offering his assistance in stopping the water leak.
c. When moving you to another bedroom opposite Rm 214, two of our duty managers assisted by carrying your two pieces of hand luggage and you assured them that everything was to your satisfaction. Our receptionist did ask if there was anything damaged, and again you said that everything was fine.
d. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the food and service you received for breakfast. It is unfortunate that you did not mention anything at the time, as we would have been more than happy to rectify the problem there and then.
e. The showers in the four rooms affected by the isolation of the water leak were all back on at 10am, and check out time is 11am. As with the other guests affected, we asked if you would like to use another room to shower or wait until 10am for the problem to be fixed.

I would like to commend my managers on their initiative of offering 20% discount to the guests in the four rooms affected, and I am sorry that this is not to your satisfaction.

Assuring you of our best intention at all times

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Payed 75 pount stg last night for this room. Although it was a smoking room that we settled for as 2 no smokers there is no excuse for having damp patches on the ceilings and flies dead and squashed to the walls.. The breakfast stated clearly what was on offer on your plate and im home and still waiting on my beans. the bead was 2 single beds together and very uncomfortable. We made it our business to stress how vile the room was and still she had the cheek to charge us full whack. wont make that mistake again. Really annoyed seeing as it was our first time in Belfast.

Room Tip: book another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Martina L
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Beechlawn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

On behalf of the Beechlawn House Hotel, I wish to thank you for taking the time in leaving your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with your room and that your stay was not to your satisfaction.
As you arrived at the hotel, not having made a reservation, the only room available was the smoking room which was subject to a £10 surcharge. We recommend that bookings are made in advance, in order to receive the best choice of bedroom.
I would have to disagree with regard to your review of your bedroom. Our cleanliness is of the utmost importance to us. Following your review, I inspected room 213 personally, and did not find any evidence of your criticisms.
We do strive to achieve first class and friendly service, excellent food and beverage, in clean and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers.
Assuring you of our best attention at all times

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I love this hotel and stay here whenever I come home to Belfast. The rooms and beds are great, the bar and lounge are an outstanding and you can't beat the food. But what I love the most is that the staff are amazing. Donna at reception goes above and beyond and Anna in the restaurant is lovely. Don't let the location of this hotel put you off staying here, it is very easy to get to wherever you want to go.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KathyBasehart

On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for choosing the Beechlawn House Hotel for your trip to Belfast, and for taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments; in particular it gives our Staff great encouragement when their professionalism and hard work are recognised and appreciated.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Busy restaurant in this hotel. Got a seat easily but were ignored by staff for the first few minutes. When we did get a staff member to serve us she was very pleasant.
The food was poor. The chips were discoloured, the salad tasteless, the batter on the fish was soggy and the french fried onions were drenched in fat.
Not good value for money. £19.95 for burger, fish, 2 portions of chips, which we didn't eat and 3 french fried onions!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mariaoneill3

On behalf of the Beechlawn House Hotel, I wish to thank you for your custom and for taking the time in leaving your comments. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with your meal. As far as we are aware you did not make any complaints at the time, and therefore we did not have an opportunity to rectify the problem. As a policy our staff are trained to ask if your meal is to your satisfaction.
I can assure you we do encourage constructive criticism at all times, as we are totally committed to achieving first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Have been here for family meals from time to time. Not a fan of the place. The staff can be unfriendly and the food is of poor quality. It's almost as if they have went to the nearest supermarket and selected food from the frozen food section. The food has never been great (especially for the price). Unfortunately other members of our family enjoy it and we have to endure more poor meals/service.

If it was up to me I wouldn't be back as there are far better quality places to get something to eat at a cheaper price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank gingenlou

On behalf of the Beechlawn House Hotel, I wish to thank you and your family for your custom and for taking the time in leaving your comments about your visit and I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the food you received. Our waiting staff always check back during a meal to make sure everything is to everyone’s satisfaction and as far as I am aware there were no complaints received from your party, if we had of been informed then we would have happily replaced or offered you an alternative menu item. I can assure you that the food is all freshly prepared by our chefs, and certainly not bought in as frozen food.
We do encourage constructive criticism at all times, as we are totally committed to achieving first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in pleasant and comfortable surroundings. When your family next visit, please contact me directly and I will endeavour to make your next visit more enjoyable.
Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

A mid week trip to Belfast on business and we stayed an overnight at the Beechlawn Hotel. We had a lovely room facing out onto the front of the hotel. A meal in the bar /lounge area was excellent . Cost of stay for 2 with breakfast was £59.00, superb value. Good location to stay if you wish to be outside of the city but within very close distance. Staff are always very friendly. Great value.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front with the evening sun on your balcony is very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for choosing the Beechlawn House Hotel for your trip to business trip to Belfast, and for taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. It gives our Staff great encouragement when their professionalism and hard work are recognised and appreciated.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Been staying on and off here since March, the hotel is not the most modern and up to date in the world,
Old CRT telly's (not flatscreen to you youngsters out there) but I've been to some big 5* hotels in Las Vegas and they still use CRT's as well!,
The shower could do with a power increase, I'm a manual worker and a trickle ain't going to get some of that grime off, ended up having baths to soak the grime out,
Depending on the room, which are very clean, you get it may look like a big massive king/queen, 6footx6foot, bed but it is two singles stuck together, and in some a normal king, one bad thing about the rooms is lack of coffee/tea/sugar/milk, I had to buy my own at tesco's but then again I do drink a lot of caffine!
Some rooms look to the back and if you work nights and don't mind the gentle thunder of what seems like a million and one beer bottles being emptied at 9am then ask for those rooms.
service, but front of house and kitchen staff, can bee slow but we found that it was all to do with who and how many other users were using the hotel. Our main compiant was the price of the cola/lemonade £2 for 200ml or £4 for less then 1 pint of flat pop a pint of beer cost less!, if you have kids or driving you might want to sneek in a big bottle of rola cola.
The staff are normally a good laugh, depending on the other guests, grumpy guests =grumpy staff!
The free wifi is nice, esp when loads more big name chain hotels charge a arm and a leg for it, can be a bit slow but if 40 users are trying to get on line at the same time the system will be slow.
Recomendable....yes, very near to the train station for Belfast and Lisburn, buses even closer to the hotel, and if you are realllllly bored and can't be bothered try going round the local Tesco's and serching for the booze isle!!!! hours of fun and fustration!!!

Room Tip: don't ask for a pint of cola/lemonade etc £2 for 200ml!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for choosing the Beechlawn House Hotel for your business trips and thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
At the Beechlawn we endeavour to offer the best value quality stay. All feedback both positive and negative is investigated and acted upon to ensure we are offering our customers the best possible service. I would like to respond to some of the issues you have outlined above:
We do supply tea, coffee, milk and sugar in all the rooms and are more than happy to replenish on request.
Our pricing structure for food and beverage is not only comparable with other hotels and restaurants, but in many cases we are better value.
I have looked into the emptying of bottles early in the morning and as this was an unusual occurrence, it should not happen again.
I do apologise for any inconvenience and would ask that you please contact me directly on your next visit and I will endeavour to make your next stay more enjoyable.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you in the near future.