“Nice hotel in Good location Excellent restaurant”

The Crescent Townhouse
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
London
“Nice hotel in Good location Excellent restaurant”
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I was overall quite pleased with the Crescent Townhouse hotel. The hotel is in a fairly central location in Belfast between Victoria Street and Central stations although the street where it is located is not particularly pleasant, it's all full of pound charity shops.

The hotel is in a very nice building. When you first get in, you don't get a very good impression becaus the reception area is small and often unattended but the rooms are very spacious and well furnished. The main problem I found with the room was the size of the TV screen, the rooms are quite large and such a tiny screen placed right at the other side of the room makes very difficult viewing.

I had dinner at the hotel and was extremely pleased with the quality and presentation of the food. The breakfast was rather disappointing specially after such a fantastic dinner the evening before, I was certainly expecting much better and I found the choice to be rather poor. There were a few cereals that you could help yourself to and a menu with a few other items (eggs, porridge and fruit salad) that you could order. I ordered a fruit salad and had to send it back to the kitchen because it was old browing fruit. The poached eggs were almost hard boiled eggs which I was kind of glad about after seeing the condition of the fruit. The didn't have any herbal teas all their juices are from concentrate, so, not pleased with that but the rest was excellent value for money.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank marujilla80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Meath
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Just returned from a hen party one ngt stay at this hotel.Six of us in the group.Can't say enough good about our whole experience.Such a friendly city,from the time we hopped in the cab @ the train station to coming home,everyone we met so friendly, helpful & informative.Firstly the hotel kindly facilitated us by taking in our bags,as we landed in the city @ 10am on sat morn & didn't want to haul our luggage around with us while we went shopping.My double room was 101,you have to go through the library to get to rooms on 1st floor.A lovely quiet & quaint area (like a posh sitting room really, very homely), to even sit and read the paper or write a postcard or meet up with the rest of the gang.Bedroom was quirky with small interior staircase down to the bed level,lovely plush carpet,decorated in very rich & warm purple.Had wetroom in our bathroom to have power shower in with lots of molton brown accessories.Tonnes of closet space,kettle with tea/coffee/biscuits,2 bottles of complimentary water,iron & ironing board & safe.Only thing missing a hairdryer (if u were stuck & 4got bring ur own) & possibly a small refrigerator.Had choice of dining in hotel bistro or the bar.We opted for the bar and weren't disappointed.Great selection on the menu.For 3 starters,6 main,3 desserts,3 bottles of wine & couple of vodkas we paid 140 STG, which compared to rip-off euro prices down south was an absolute steal!The food was delicious & very attractively presented.The service was first class and we were extremely well looked after by an older gentleman,whose name I cannot recall,but he was very happy to recommend pubs/areas to go out after our meal.He also suggested that if we wished to stay local, he'de organise for us to be put on the guestlist of the niteclub the hotel runs around the corner (The M Club).We gladly took him up on this offer.We found ourselves passing out a very long queue to get in,we were warmly received by the doorstaff & didn't have to pay,were told to head up to the VIP section on the top floor & we spent the rest of a really great nite there.They even welcomed us into the res. bar back @ the hotel afterwards, even though they were cleaning up for the nite & we stayed on for a few more drinks before calling it a night in the early early hours.Excellant breakfast to be had the next morning in the restaraunt,included in the price of the room,which @ 75stg per room with 2 of us sharing,worked out really cheap. With regard to location it's no more than 10-15 min walk 2 city ctnr.The beautiful Queens university & pubs/clubs/restaurants all on hotel's doorstep.One taxi was sufficient to get us all with our bags in2 town going home @ 10 STG, it worked out really cheap.Would highly recommend & will be to friends and family.Will def return myself, bring hubby-2-be & book ourselves a suite.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Grufty
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 9, 2008

A long weekend in Belfast in December is a great idea - the shopping is great and the German Christmas market really adds to the festive atmosphere. This was my second year to visit over the first weekend in December. Last year I stayed at the Tara Lodge (fabulous), but this year I decided to try somewhere different.

I picked the Crescent Townhouse as it seemed to be of a similar standard to the Tara Lodge, and is located just around the corner from it. However, two properties could not be more different.

On arriving at the Crescent I was impressed by the exterior - a Georgian type townhouse. The small reception is located between the entrances to the bar and the Metro restaurant. Check in was fine, though there is no lift and we had to lug our bags right up to the top floor.

Good first impressions vanished however, the moment we opened our bedroom door. The spacious room was dimly lit, with a tiny double bed, unbelievably small tv and a VERY pungent odour of cigarette smoke. I then noticed that our room was labelled 'designated smoking room'. This irked me as I hadn't requested a smoking room - though I wouldn't have been hugely bothered if we had been allocated one, as rooms do tend to be aired after each guest. But this room smelt like a party had been held there - a party which went on for weeks. And as I had a heavy cold, the last thing I wanted was to continually inhale stale smoke.

My disappointment was compounded when my boyfriend turned on the shower (a fitted shower over the bath) and informed me that there was very little water pressure. I went in to check and discovered that there was in fact only a trickle of water coming from the shower, with a minimum of pressure. Definitely not enough to shower or to wash one's hair, and the shower-head was also not removable.

I decided to go to the reception immediately and mention our problems as I was sure that there would be an easy solution - perhaps someone would offer to air the room, or get a plumber out to look at the shower. However the young woman manning reception treated my enquiry with disdain, and informed me that the smell was my own fault for not booking a non-smoking room, and then stated that "no one else" had ever complained about the shower, which I found very hard to believe. She did however offer to show me the only other room available that weekend, their disabled room. I viewed this room but decided that it would not be suitable for us, given that it was much smaller and also fitted with all of the items which make a disabled person's life easier - rails on the wall, a special shower, no bath etc. Once I turned down this room, no other attempt to help us was made. I asked the receptionist to be sure to let the manager know of my complaint and I returned to our room feeling very let down, and contemplated checking out but realised that our options would be very limited on a busy Friday in Belfast.

Things improved slightly the next day - after housekeeping serviced the room the smell dissapeared which made the room a lot more pleasant. However the shower never improved and I had to spend £20 on a wash and blow-dry as there was no way to wash my hair in the trickle of water from the shower.

During our stay we ate in the Metro restaurant which I could not fault - a high standard of food and impeccable service. We also had a drink in the bar which seems to be quite popular locally.

On checkout on the Monday the daytime receptionist asked was everything ok with our stay? I told her again about the smell in the room and the shower - she seemed to already be aware of our previous complaint and said that a plumber was coming that day. Sadly this was of little use to us as we had already spent our three nights at the hotel. Given the acknowledgement of the problem it then disgusted me to be presented with the bill and to see that there had been no discount to make up for the lack of a functioning shower during our stay. We paid and left, being sure to tell the receptionist that we would be returning to the Tara Lodge on our next visit!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Bathroom inadequate - shower not functioning properly. Room also not fully aired - reeked of smoke.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheSnakeCharmer
Co.Antrim N. Ireland
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We went to the opening concert of the Queen's Festival in the Waterfront Hall last Friday evening and on Saturday enjoyed a performance of 'Juno and the Paycock' at the Grand Opera House. We choose to stay in the Crescent as it is in a very central position in Belfast city. We were a bit anxious about the noise level as this seemed to cause some concern to other guests who had stayed there but we can honestly say we were not disturbed at all. Our room - 101 - was on the first floor directly opposite the Empire which is a bar and comedy club place frequented by lots of young people but the double glazed windows and the heavy curtains worked a treat and we heard only a little muffled sound and definitely not enough to cause a nuisance.

The room was fine but a bit dark - lights were needed at all times. However it was well supplied with a hospitality tray which included bottled water and biscuits as well as the usual tea and coffee. A nice touch we thought. The Molton Brown toiletries were welcome and very generous, providing mouthwash and body lotion as well as shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap and shower cap. The layout in the bathroom was rather strange with a large shower and sink but no storage space or hooks. In fact the free-standing towel rail was not IN the bathroom at all but immediately OUTSIDE the door, in the bedroom!

Breakfast was rather a hit and miss affair with a very limited choice of cereals and fruit juice. There was no fresh fruit or bread on offer and we had to ask for toast. The cooked food was tasty and well enough presented and the staff were just ok. We had intended having dinner in the hotel but were put off by the breakfast experience and went to Speranza's on Saturday night. The food there was delicious as was the meal we had in the restaurant in the Waterfront Hall on Friday. We would thoroughly recommend this as a place to have a meal, especially before a concert. Staff were pleasant and helpful and at £16.95 for a 2 course meal it was very good value.

Would we stay here again? Yes I think so but there is room for improvement.

• Liked — central position, abundance of good quality tolietries
  • Disliked — light switches very inconveniently placed, room always dark
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for one night only, thankfully. We booked an executive room and were given the Chelsea suite, a large room with a large bed, attractive décor, flat screen TV (but not many channels). Bathroom also large, and appears to have been renovated quite recently, however, the grouting in the shower cubicle was mouldy already. Which is actually easy to clean away but maybe is not a priority for the staff... The reception girl did not smile at any point, either when we arrived or left. And she certainly didn’t ask if we had enjoyed our stay…. The breakfast waitress was just as miserable, and seemed to rather be somewhere else. The Ulster fry was greasy with the blackpudding dry as bootleather, it had clearly been lying on the hotplate for some time (and we were the first guests for breakfast that morning). Just forget the breakfast and go somewhere else.
The worst part for us however, was that the hotel has a public bar (Bar 12) which turns into a disco on Friday and Saturday nights. And Bar 12 is located, guess it, right underneath the Chelsea suite…. If you would like to be able to get some sleep then don’t stay in this hotel, on a weekend at least. The disco was so loud the bed actually vibrated with the music (so earplugs did not help either). And all the screeching students were standing outside the bar underneath our window smoking all night and shouting, as drunk students tend to do (Victorian single glazing, so it didn’t make the blindest bit of difference closing them). I am not a light sleeper and in my opinion noise in a hotel is something you have to accept, if it comes from a place next door or opposite, which the hotel cannot control for. If it comes from within the hotels premises then it is something completely different. I am sure this bar is a great source of income for the hotel, but then it should be combined with proper soundproofing and double glazing, so as not to disturb the paying guests, who also provide income for the hotel. I don’t pay good money to stay in a hotel and be kept awake all night. We are already planning our next visit to Belfast, which is a great city, but we will definitely not be staying in this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Being kept awake all night, miserable staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happybongo
London, England
Reviewed August 30, 2008

The reviews are a little generous in my opinion. Some of the rooms and bathrooms needed some maintenance, my room stank of stale smoke even though I asked for non-smoking and the breakfast service was simply poor. It could be great but just didn't hit the mark for me.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Lolalula
County Antrim
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here on Friday 25th July and I have to say that it was a beautiful experience. We have probably stayed in all of the hotels in Belfast, including, Tensquare, Malmaison, Radisson, Hilton etc and The Townhouse was one of the favourites. We chose to stay here as we fancied a night out in Belfast without the hassle of getting taxis home.
Upon arriving there was one hiccup in which the room key did not work and this seemed to be the case for a couple of other guests, however this was dealt with immediately. In room 101 there is a lovely touch of a small stair case leading to the average sized bedroom. Massive wardrobe and full length mirror. Purple drapes, flowers and decoration with an amazingly comfortable bed. The bathroom is lovely and there are plentiful towels and Molton Brown Toiletries. Coffee, tea, biscuits and water were waiting which I thought was a nice touch. However there is no mini bar which was one down side. This room also looked out onto the street and for some people who do want noise this may be a problem. However we had no problems and actually loved looking out at the hustle and bustle.
We decided to eat in the restaurant and it was lovely, the service was excellent and friendly. After we decided to go to the club next door which was not packed and we enjoyed our night. Breakfast choice was limited however this did not bother us and my boyfriend loved the omelette.
I have to stay that we would not hesitate to stay here again. We usually stay in the premier inn when wanting a night out in Belfast however after this experience I think that we may become regulars at this hotel. The weekend deal was amazing value and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — No mini Bar
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HotelLove