“Lovely rooms, handy location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dukes at Queens

Dukes at Queens
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin
“Lovely rooms, handy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

Glad I picked this place for a surprise weekend away with the Mrs.

Nice staff, really nice clean & quiet room, good breakfast. The bar lets the place down a little, it's a bit ordinary, & the reception area looks a bit temporary, but all this is more than made up for by the rooms. Unusually for Europe, it was more expensive on the hotel's own site than thru an agency, so we used Expedia or somebody.

We dined at Beatrice Kennedy restaurant round the corner - also excellent. I reckon we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Broadens_the_mind

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ulster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Recently stayed there for 4 days. A really beautiful hotel. Arrived early and allowed to check in there and then. Reception staff more than helpful. Lift to rooms behind reception. Room fantastic, decor beautiful and serene, widescreen tv, no irish stations though. All extras in rooms, even an ipod docking station, speakers in ceilng. You would nearly want a tour round the room! Bath is huge, taps in the middle so you can really relax, there is even a heated mirror in the bathroom. Air conitioning in the room, really effective. Shutter blinds on the windows, something different. Room service is very good, they change your bed every day, fresh towels supplied also. No parking though, car broken into. Reception staff said area was safe when booking. Right beside college. Within easy access of town. If you want to do red bus tour, reception furnish you with tickets & they order bus to the door of the hotel that brings you to the starting point. Restaurant poor, not a nice cosey area for a quiet meal. Air conditioning above some tables that makes food go cold. More like a pub menu than a restaurant menu. Nice restaurants within 2 min walk. Pub is only available in the restaurant & you feel you are in the way of staff setting tables for breakfast. The nicest hotel I have stayed in ever & I have stayed in lots. Modern but neat . Only downfall is no parking.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kildare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends for a Saturday night. We paid £90 per room B&B. The hotel has a lovely wrap around veranda with nice wooden furniture which was lovely to sit at and have a drink and watch the world go by. The rooms are huge with an equally huge bathroom complete with shower, seperate bath and funky sink. The bed was also huge and was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The cold breakfast buffet wasn't huge, but they provided a delicious cooked breakfast designed to feed a man with a huge appetite. We had a few drinks in the bar onthe Saturday night and they had a guy playing the guitar who was really good.

Note to Sat Nav users - it doesn't come under the hotel section so you will need to put in the address.
I have two young children and I will definitely come back and stay in the hotel with them, as the spacious room would more than accomodate us with a spare bed and a cot.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

We had a one night stay in Belfast and opted for Dukes at Queens. We were greeted warmly, had a spotless room with everything you could want. The bathroom was huge with a separate bath and shower. We took advantage of a Monday to Thursday offer in the bistro of a set price menu including wine and the meal was fantastic, both value and quality. The only slight problem was parking onstreet round about, but that was only because we arrived before the people who park in the area during the day for work had gone home. After that there was plenty of parking on the road outside. Only wish we'd been able to stay an extra night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reading, berks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

Loved my stay at Duke's. The room I had (for single occupancy) was massive - huge double bed (a queen, I think), crisp white bed linen, massive Loewe TV (40 inches?) with built in surround sound and iPod dock, big monsoon walk in shower and a bath big enough for two.

Service on the front desk was good (the lovely Shilpi even knew who I was when I arrived without looking my details up). Nothing was too much trouble.

Location is nice if a little way out of town, in the Botanic Gardens area of town (so a little way from the shops) but this makes for a nice quiet stay in a busy city.

I booked a total of five rooms (I stayed 2 nights, my friends just one night) and we pretty much had a wing of the hotel to ourselves. The rooms weren't all as big as mine (room 111 in particular was set to the side and was a little dark) but all were beautifully furnished with dark wood, smart patterned carpet and leahter (ette?) chairs and accessories.

We got a room rate of £70 per night RO for single occupancy (£80 for double) which I thought was excellent value (compared to the alleged rack rates of £159 upwards). Bar drinks were a little steep but not too bad. Plus the bar stayed open for as long as we want it to - important in a city where pretty much everything shuts at 11pm.

All in all an excellent hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

The hotel was wonderful! We were only there one night, but we loved it. The room was great- comfy bed, nice bathroom, did I mention there was an IPOD docking station with surround sound in the room. Complimentary coffee in the room. Breakfast was also included and it was delicious! It is a good location too. Close to the train and bus station as well as good places to go out. You could walk or take a cheap taxi.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Jhb, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

Wow!! What a hotel!

It is not often that I feel guilty paying a discounted rate at a hotel....this is the exception. As an International Manager based in South Africa, I travel extensively and stay in hotels all around the world - this is definitely in my Top 5! I stayed a Sunday night so paid GBP 70.00...with breakfast!

I actualy asked the lady at reception if I had been upgraded my room was so nice (I had not)! Huge TV, stacks of channels, a super comfy bed, iPOD docking station with a speaker in the ceiling, ultra stylish bathroom, airconditioning. free wifi, in room safe and less than 5 minutes from the centre of town!!! What more could you ask for!

I am surprised by the one or two comments regarding the staff - they were BRILLIANT!! They gladly accommodated me the whole of the next day (after I had checked out!) in the hotel lounge where I had 2 meetings back to back.

Trendy, chic, clean, modern and just the right amount of personal!

Well done - if only more hotels woud follow their lead!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business