“What a wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dukes at Queens

Dukes at Queens
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
los angeles
“What a wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Dukes on a recent trip to Belfast and were totally charmed. It's a cute boutique hotel located in a great part of town with very modern rooms (best shower we had on the whole 3 week trip) and a hip little restaurant downstairs. The location was perfect -at first we weren't sure if staying in the Queens College area versus downtown was the right way to go but the area was vibrant and buzzy with lots of restaurants (since its a college area many were very reasonably priced) and coffee shops. But what really made it special was their staff, especially Jennifer at reception. She was sweet, very helpful, efficient and went out of her way to make sure we had a perfect trip. I wish I could take her with me to the Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons I work with to show them what real hospitality means. Andy was also a doll, making sure everyone was taken care of at breakfast and had a great sense of humor. I would never stay any where else in Belfast, it was a fabulous experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here mid-week to save us a trip home one night after work. We booked a luxury room, Room 202, and it was large, well equipped, a sparklingly new bathroom, modern light colours, toiletries and lots of fluffy towels. Large flat screen tv, great view down Botanic avenue, a bit noisy with the bin-men at 5.30am. Bed was extra large and extremely comfortable, lighting in the room was good. Separate seating area in a little annex with shutters on the floor to ceiling windows. Breakfast was self-service continental or a la carte cooked. service was quick and server very friendly and cheery for 7.30am. Reception staff lovely, friendly, asked about our day ahead, seemed genuinely interested! One downside is parking - this is around a popular restaurant and bar area, so you need to be quick to park your car! straight out the front door of the hotel are several good restaurants, and lots of take-aways, a good few bars, nightclubs and a cinema about 7 minutes walk. Queens University is literally just around the corner. Location is really very good for night life. The main shopping area is a short taxi ride away. We will continue to use this hotel if we need to stay in the city overnight and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 202 is large but can be quite noisy from the road outside.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I had a very enjoyable weekend at Dukes at Queens Hotel. It is in a quiet student area of Belfast but very easy to walk into the town centre.

The food is very reasonable and of a very high quality the meal for two with a bottle of wine is great value.

The rooms were decorated to a very high standard, we had a problem with the tv in our room and the guy on reception quickly rectified the problem and moved us to another room, bigger and better than the one we had, which we really appreciated.

I would like to thank all of the staff for making our stay very enjoyable, good luck with Movember donations!!

Room Tip: Rooms above the bar area can be noisy on a friday or saturday night as there are live bands , which...
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Last night I was at Dukes and had the meal for two.
The meal was very good and we had a great night.
However when I got home I realised we had also been charged for dessert. I looked at the menu on line today and indeed it says on bottom
“Starter & Main Course or Main Course & Dessert”
After our main course we were asked what we wanted for dessert and I didn’t check the small print at the bottom, nor did the staff say this would add over 30% to the cost.
I think its misleading and somewhat spoiled the experience. This should be pointed out by the staff clearly, and it wasn’t.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I won't go in to the details here but I have marked this hotel average because of the service from the staff on duty at night on the door and in the bar (the staff at reception were fine). This was a birthday treat gone wrong and whilst I gave the manager every opportunity to recover the situation my issues were very poorly handled. The rooms are very good, lovely spacious bathrooms but the restaurant lacks soul and the bar area decor is an acquired taste.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sonja O
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Booked on line for a special trip for my wife and I to see Andrea Bocelli in concert at Odyssey. First social trip to Belfast, both having been on work trips before. Hotel easy to find, but no parking facilities could be a chore, however I got lucky and had same space on road for three days running. Staff must have been on a charm offensive, they never stopped smiling and really were most helpful and charming, such a change from surly po-faced receptionists at previous hotel.
Hotel had allowed my wife's old friend, not seen for over 10 years, to place flowers, chocolates, wine and presentation box in our room beforehand and therefore they knew who we were and why we were there the minute we walked in the door, loved it, personal without being smarmy.

The room was great, BIG LED TV! I like it, 19" credit card sized TV's in hotel rooms are mean and penny pinching and pee me off. Bathroom only had shower which was a bit of a downer, but (doorless) shower was big, powerful and hot, luverley!!! Bed was soooooo big, wife and i were telephoning each others wine order, hee hee..

Having own Air con unit was great as we like a "cold" bedroom, equally in Winter as well as summer, so this would be a big bonus at any time an any hotel.

Minor details needed attention, which would have tipped the balance to 4*plus....small hole in wall by bed probably due to suitcase knock, one LED reading light was broken, laminate on bedside table was peeling. Minor stuff that if rectified would maintain the quality and be indicative of true care and attention to detail.

Decor rather "modern/contemporary", lots of purple and red, and a little dated but it works...bar was gaudy to say the least, a real tarts boudoir but having said that well executed, and consistent, not just thrown together and really just a love it or hate it experience.

Although we didn't eat there the menu looked enticing and food I saw being served to customers looked pretty good and prices realistic. Drinks prices same as pubs, so no quibble there at all.

Breakfast was adequate, nice simple cold choice, freshly cooked Irish and various other hot options (eggs Benedict was a great choice) all promptly served. £85.00 B & B per night was great value for a place with some character, comfort, smiley faces and a friendly atmosphere. We will book in again next year and look forward to it....

Room Tip: Get King Superior with bay front room. Big Bed, Big TV, room to move around or sit and have a drink...
Birr, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stay in Belfast regularly but had always overlooked this hotel in favour of the more well known hotels in town. However, this time, most of the usual suspects were booked out or had outrageous rates, so bit the bullet and booked 2 nights at Dukes. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, well appointed and had individually controlled heating. the bed was large and very comfortable. The TV was a 37" plasma with a decent selection of channels. There is free WiFi but the signal was very weak in my room. However, once I used a DSL cable, I had no problems connecting and the speed was more than adequate. The bathroom was spotless, had a large walk-in shower and a bathtub. What really stood out in this hotel was the staff. They were effortlessly friendly and helpful. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble...on my first night I asked where the nearest ATM was, the lady at the front desk gave me directions and pointed out that it was raining. She then opened her handbag and gave me her own umbrella to use. The staff and management of the hotel should be so proud of the service they provide....this will now be my hotel of choice in Belfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business