“one of the best”

Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
northampton
“one of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here 10th - 13th April and what a stay I had the moment I walked in the doors I was made welcome by all the staff.
Was there for my sisters 70th birthday which she had at the hotel the food was first class the rooms spotless and the ulster fry in the mornings was also 1st class,
thanks again to all the staff for our stay planning to go again next year

Room Tip: would recommend this hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I must admit, its a nice hotel, but if I was returning to Belfast I wouldnt stay here again. Decor is very nice, hotel is clean. In the bar, we were served by two different waitresses one of which I think was a manager - they were both very nice, polite and the service was very efficient, however I thought the bar staff were bored and uninterested in serving - kind of dragging their heels alot. Food quality was very good - we had no problems with the dinner or the breakfast. There was a great selection on the breakfast menu.
I did not sleep well in this hotel. My bed was badly damaged on the base and I got up the following morning with a dreadful pain in my back. My two friends slept better in their beds. We had such a long day and had already had showers and in our night clothes before we noticed that the bed was damaged - it was too much effort to change rooms at that stage and quite late. I did mention this to the lady at reception when we were checking out and she had said they would have moved us if we had reported it. Overall we didnt really like the atmosphere in the hotel - we just didnt feel welcome.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Try to be very upmarket but they don't pull it off. The staff need to react more with the customers, they are very stony face and I think their trained not to smile. People moaned about the bar food.
we had a meal and tried to catch the staff eye and yes there are plenty of them but all they have to do is ask if all is OK they don't need to go over board just ask. I had to go to the bar and ask them to send over someone, and buy the time it was sorted my food was stone cold. They do lots of weddings and conference party's so we are not at the top off the list. Breakfast is ok but again food cold and small Small Portions. all pre cooked would be better doing it all buffet style. I have better food and staff in the Premier Inn next to the Odyssey.

Room Tip: Pick one at the front better view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I visited Belfast for our first wedding anniversary and wanted something a little bit special. I so wish we had listened to my friend and stayed in the city centre as this hotel was the worst nights sleep (if it can even be called that) ever and really spoilt our second day in Belfast as we were shattered.

My husband wanted to book a hotel that was a bit special and this hotel fitted the bill as it had a jacuzzi bath in one of the executive rooms. We had left our home at 5am for a flight and been out and about in Belfast for the day (a quick £7 taxi ride out to the hotel) so we were looking forward to a nice chilled evening in our hotel. Our first impression was it was a lovely room and we planned to have dinner in the hotel.

My husband went through to pop the bath on and was looking forward to having a relax in the bath and watching some telly. The TV in the bathroom would come on but there was a message in the middle of the screen which was impossible to remove so watching it was pointless. There were instructions in the room folder of how to retune the system but after 20 mins, frustrated and tired we gave up (it was about 6pm by this point so a very long day). Had we been staying a couple of nights I would have gone downstairs and asked for someone to come and sort it but the last thing we felt like doing was having to get redressed to get the TV sorted so we left it at that. The room was pretty warm so we had the windows open to let some air through.

We had dinner in the hotel and we really enjoyed the food. However, I am pretty certain we were overcharged but I only realised this after having signed the slip and gone back upstairs (my own fault, I was too tired to check it). It was only a couple of pounds but in hindsight I should have queried it as we did give a decent tip for dinner.

Problems began when we returned to our room. The room had cooled slightly whilst were out so at first it was ok. However as the night continued I can only liken the heat in the room to that of a sauna/old peoples home (basically imagine having all the heating on in your house and slowly dehydrating all night long) There was an aircon switch near the door, it blew slightly cooler than the ridiculously hot air out at about the speed of a hairdryer on its lowest setting - my hairdryer on coolshot is probably more effective to be honest. We double checked and all the radiators were off. Having lay under the bedcovers for all of about 2 mins we then spent the rest of the night laying on top of the covers.

We "slept" for possibly a couple of hours all night, most of which was interrupted by having to get up for a drink constantly as it was so hot. Finally to top off the worst nights sleep we have ever had (and we have had warmish rooms abroad on holiday) an alarm went off outside at about 6:20am and continued for about 10 mins. To block the noise we had to shut the windows - we may as well have been in a small oven all night.

We went down to breakfast exhausted and ate as quickly as possible as both of us were still very warm and then checked out shortly after. The young lady on reception Linzi had kindly booked us a taxi to take us to the city centre and we couldn't wait to get outside into some cool air.

On checking out I don't think Linzi asked us if we had a nice stay, she seemed more concerned with us paying our dinner bill. I didn't bother bringing up about the possible overcharge for dinner as I was more concerned about the lack of sleep we'd had and didn't want to be overly difficult. We have never complained in a hotel before but we were so annoyed at our lack of sleep that I did inform the young lady Linzi that the TV wasn't working and then went onto to say the room was very hot. Indifference would be the best way to describe her reaction - she actually queried if we had pointed the remote at the TV properly which was patronising and then said she would make a note of it (and she appeared to write it down). I then also mentioned to her that we had "slept" terribly as it was very hot. Again she showed very little (ie no) concern and said she would get someone to look into it.

Given her complete lack of concern or apology that we had a terrible night we haven't bothered to contact the hotel. Front of house staff should be the first point of call to put things right, If this is their attitude I very much doubt writing to the hotel to complain would make any difference. There was no apology or any offer of how to she could have made us feel better about the experience. It is a shame as the hotel itself is nicely finished but completely does not serve its purpose (or at least for us it didn't) as a place to SLEEP!!

I don't normally struggle to sleep at night nor do I find rooms warm with the exception perhaps of the odd night abroad (with day temps of 35+, Belfast was nowhere near this!). I would challenge anyone at the hotel to sleep soundly in room 206 as it is like an oven. It put a downer on our anniversary as we wished we'd now booked a significantly cheaper room in town. We wasted money on this room. It will however, be remembered as the worst hotel we've ever stayed at. We can live with slightly poor cleaning, mediocre food, non fluffy towels and firm mattresses but a room which is like a sauna is a definite no for us. The only reason we're giving it 3 stars is for the food, otherwise it would have a 1 or a 2.

Room Tip: Avoid room 206 its like an oven
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Enjoyed my two night's stay here. Large bed and acres of room. Lost count of the number of double sockets! Everything clean and shipshape just as you would expect. Bar is relaxed and well maintained. Didn't have breakfast or dinner so can't comment on the food.

Room Tip: Ensure you specify a smoking or non-smoking room when you book.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

When in Belfast I always stay at The Park Avenue. It's relatively close to George Best Airport and a short taxi ride into the City Centre. The rooms are well appointed, the staff are friendly and the breakfasts are fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Hadn`t considered this hotel as it was outside the city for shopping & nightlife, the smoking rooms are a bonus & free parking a major plus, short taxi ride to centre which makes up for the costly parking charges at some of the more central hotels. The staff are excellent, attentive,courteous & nothings too much trouble to help with all your needs. Have stayed in two different rooms & have had no problems with, comfortable beds extra pillows etc. Will book again when returning to Belfast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple