“What a gem!”

Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Johnstone, United Kingdom
“What a gem!”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This hotel was fantastic and the rooms were modern, well equipped and were above all extremely comfortable. Would recommend for anyone coming into Belfast. As a single woman travelling on business the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
Breakfast had a great selection and was a great start to the day.
If you want to pamper yourself even more would recommend paying little bit more to upgrade to suite!
Will definately be back and will recommend to all friends and colleagues going to Belfast!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed 3 nights in a Superior Room on 3rd floor for birthday getaway. Room itself was reasonable; 2 VERY nice and comfy single pillow top beds joined to make king size, air-con, small flatscreen, wardrobe, average quality furnishing (desk, side table, few chairs, bedside tables etc), and medium sized bathroom with tub.

Room was quite clean, only points to note were dirty bolster cushions on the clean and well made bed, lots of soap scum run off on underside of sink (quite unsightly and noticeable when having a bath) and a small stain on the towel rack. Cups in room were quite clean, but only wooden stirrers not spoons.

The 'upgraded toiletries' were nothing special if not slightly below average. A very minor thing.

Breakfast was1 plate of food which you order from their menu(costs extra for more - hot irish breakfast is standard, the pancakes tasted reheated, scrambled egg and salmon a bit overcooked and salty, probably also pre-prepared) and a cold 'buffet' of pre-packaged scones & danish, yoghurts, cereals, fruit and juices. No cold meats or cheeses, nuts etc, things I'm used to having at a 4star hotel. Also hot breakfast should really be a buffet too and pastries made fresh. That said, breakfast was edible and filling.

Had one meal at the bar. Mains were quite average. Starters - Nachos and mussels were fairly ok.

Staff were friendly/pleasant and happy to meet my request each evening for fresh milk for my tea.

Overall, It was good value for money and somewhere I'd stay again, but if you really want luxury, have a big budget and want to spend lots of time at the hotel maybe try elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DublinCharlie1
Belfast, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I have eaten in this hotel before and thought it looked smart. I have 80 delegates coming over in October and I thought I would try an over night stay before booking thd hotel.
Just as well!
I checked in after waiting for ages at reception as no staff were on the front desk!
Went to the room were the toilet kept reloading. I called down and they said just keep pushing the button it happens all of the time!
Went out for a few drinks. I came back about 11pm to find that the shower only operated at boiling!
At about 12 I couldn't sleep and noticed the wi x was coming into the room. The window had been broken and would neither open nor close.

As it was too late to stRt moving rooms I put up with it.

After a tiny cooked breakfast and pre packed croissants ( seriously in a 4 star hotel) I went to complain to find no one at the desk. They only appeared to answer the phone and took not 1 but 2 calls ahead of me.
I complained about the room but it was clear they had no interest and I emailed thd next day. They said they would investigate the matter. I still had no response 3 days later so I emailed again only to be told I should've told them at the time and they hope to see me again!

I don't expect to have to move rooms in a 4 star hotel after a night out.

Needless to say they have lost my trade for later in the year. Very disappointing!

2 Thank beets9
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Having arrived I was offered an upgrade to one if the suites, they are very nice. Big rooms plenty of space. Highly recommend the suite!

The restaurant is a let down. I ordered the squid with a chilli dipping sauce, I got 6 thin strips of squid with an undressed Salad garnish and a little pot of very poor quality dipping sauce.

My main course was the most expensive dish on the menu, the beef fillet on champ with mash. Firstly, the cut of meat was not a fillet, it was a very poor cut of meat but the worst thing about the meal? The mash potato was made from powder! Not real Irish potato's, but from powder. How do I know? Because I found a lump of powder in the middle of it. I pointed this out to the staff who even when shown the powdery gloop, insisted it was real potato.

Sleep here, rest here and relax here but would I recommend the food? I don't think so! £18 for a bit of tough steak and powdered potato , not very 4 star!

1 Thank Ozzy2672
Port Erin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

the hotel is only 5 min,s from the airport good bus service and taxi service

Room Tip: very helpfull staff and very friendly
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

haven visited this hotel over a period of 30 years, i will never be back. terrible service(always was hit and miss). terrible food. baby boiled potatoes green. even the 4 year old in our party asked what was wrong with the potatoes. rib eye steak so tough it couldnt be chewed. worst kids menu ever. 4 choices for kids. sausages, chicken nuggets, fish fingers or burgers. all with skinny fries. no vegetables. when meal was served we ordered a glass of wine and some ketchup. took 15 minutes to serve this. at this point we complained about potatoes to met with blank stares and shrugged shoulders. we ideally would have liked more gravy but given that it took 15 minutes for someone to approach our table it was too late. we needed this because the meals were so dry. this hotel is meant to be 4*. whilst i cant comment on the rooms, i can honestly say their food is just average and their service, including non smiley staff, is decidedly 2*

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank grannywally
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stay at this hotel numerous times month on month on business for years and to be quite honest I think the guy who posted the review from November went to the wrong hotel or had a bad day. I have never experienced anything remotely similar!!!, the hotel itself is very clean, room are of a very good standard and are more than adequate. The suites are amazing with every little touch you can think of .... The food on the restaurant is exceptional standard and great value and the food is the bar is as expected less fussy and not expensive at all. My only issue if any is the location of the hotel it's great for the airport and ferry ports but in an area I wouldn't go walking. However their is a cinema across the road so not far to go for a movie. The people are very friendly and will endeavour to make your stay as comfortable as possible. If you are wondering where to stay it's a no brainer I wouldn't hesitate but to recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2010