“Sleep here but don't eat here!”
Review of Park Avenue Hotel

Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
“Sleep here but don't eat here!”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Having arrived I was offered an upgrade to one if the suites, they are very nice. Big rooms plenty of space. Highly recommend the suite!

The restaurant is a let down. I ordered the squid with a chilli dipping sauce, I got 6 thin strips of squid with an undressed Salad garnish and a little pot of very poor quality dipping sauce.

My main course was the most expensive dish on the menu, the beef fillet on champ with mash. Firstly, the cut of meat was not a fillet, it was a very poor cut of meat but the worst thing about the meal? The mash potato was made from powder! Not real Irish potato's, but from powder. How do I know? Because I found a lump of powder in the middle of it. I pointed this out to the staff who even when shown the powdery gloop, insisted it was real potato.

Sleep here, rest here and relax here but would I recommend the food? I don't think so! £18 for a bit of tough steak and powdered potato , not very 4 star!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Ozzy2672

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Port Erin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

the hotel is only 5 min,s from the airport good bus service and taxi service

Room Tip: very helpfull staff and very friendly
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

haven visited this hotel over a period of 30 years, i will never be back. terrible service(always was hit and miss). terrible food. baby boiled potatoes green. even the 4 year old in our party asked what was wrong with the potatoes. rib eye steak so tough it couldnt be chewed. worst kids menu ever. 4 choices for kids. sausages, chicken nuggets, fish fingers or burgers. all with skinny fries. no vegetables. when meal was served we ordered a glass of wine and some ketchup. took 15 minutes to serve this. at this point we complained about potatoes to met with blank stares and shrugged shoulders. we ideally would have liked more gravy but given that it took 15 minutes for someone to approach our table it was too late. we needed this because the meals were so dry. this hotel is meant to be 4*. whilst i cant comment on the rooms, i can honestly say their food is just average and their service, including non smiley staff, is decidedly 2*

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank grannywally
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stay at this hotel numerous times month on month on business for years and to be quite honest I think the guy who posted the review from November went to the wrong hotel or had a bad day. I have never experienced anything remotely similar!!!, the hotel itself is very clean, room are of a very good standard and are more than adequate. The suites are amazing with every little touch you can think of .... The food on the restaurant is exceptional standard and great value and the food is the bar is as expected less fussy and not expensive at all. My only issue if any is the location of the hotel it's great for the airport and ferry ports but in an area I wouldn't go walking. However their is a cinema across the road so not far to go for a movie. The people are very friendly and will endeavour to make your stay as comfortable as possible. If you are wondering where to stay it's a no brainer I wouldn't hesitate but to recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2010
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2011

This hotel is amazing value. The rooms are lovely, very well presented, always spotlessly clean and light and modern. The reception staff are great although the restaurant staff sometimes let the side down. Food is served both in the bar (which I have never tried) and in the restaurant and is always lovely, although the menu is quite limited and has some strange combinations on it, don't expect to be able to get a salad, it's not on the menu, even as a side but that is a small price to pay to stay in such a lovely hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I needed to find a hotel in the area of the Holywood Road so I simply typed my requirements into the internet and, hey presto!, up popped the Park Avenue. Only stayed one night but it was such a comforting, welcoming hotel! The staff are friendly and attentive. Great food. The rooms oh so comfortable. The car parking FREE! The feeling of space and tranquility just wafts over you as you check-in. This is an oasis of calm right in the heart of East Belfast. So easy to get to and so convenient for the city centre, the Odessey, George Best Airport, Bangor, etc. Whenever I need to stay in the Belfast area again this will definitely be my hotel of choice. To stay elsewhere would feel like snubbing an old friend - and that is something you must never do! Try it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Wigan
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Had not booked in but was close to where a colleague lives and near Belfast City Airport. Needed a meeting room for a few hours and had yet to book a room for accommodation. Asked what could be done at reception on both counts. Despite them being very busy a meeting room was sorted, however we had issues with the wi-fi. We were then asked if we wanted to move to a bedroom which we did. Wi-Fi was still an issue but got on eventually. There is free BT Openzone throughout which I am guessing on busy days gets overloaded but that is my guess only. The staff and that is from reception to management to bar staff to the service at breakfast were honestly some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of being served by. Top notch on all counts and if only more hotels operated in this way. Good service costs nothing and these guys really know how to deliver it with a smile too. As for VFM, I got an executive / superior room due to intial room not ready. Again excellent quality and comfortable. Breakfast was buffet for cereals, juices, fresh fruit etc. I had smoked salmon with scrambled egg and it was great. Thank you for looking after me Melanie and I will be back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business