“Nothing too much trouble, everybody so firendly and great VFM”
Review of Park Avenue Hotel

Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Wigan
“Nothing too much trouble, everybody so firendly and great VFM”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Had not booked in but was close to where a colleague lives and near Belfast City Airport. Needed a meeting room for a few hours and had yet to book a room for accommodation. Asked what could be done at reception on both counts. Despite them being very busy a meeting room was sorted, however we had issues with the wi-fi. We were then asked if we wanted to move to a bedroom which we did. Wi-Fi was still an issue but got on eventually. There is free BT Openzone throughout which I am guessing on busy days gets overloaded but that is my guess only. The staff and that is from reception to management to bar staff to the service at breakfast were honestly some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of being served by. Top notch on all counts and if only more hotels operated in this way. Good service costs nothing and these guys really know how to deliver it with a smile too. As for VFM, I got an executive / superior room due to intial room not ready. Again excellent quality and comfortable. Breakfast was buffet for cereals, juices, fresh fruit etc. I had smoked salmon with scrambled egg and it was great. Thank you for looking after me Melanie and I will be back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Well received at Reception Staff friendly especially in dining room Good rooms and located quite near centre and ferry/airport

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrSmart
ajmull
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Park Avenue Hotel is close to my business and up until last year I regularly took customers there for lunch. The food was always good wholesome fare although the staff were not always up to the standard one would expect at a 4 star hotel restaurant.
Nevertheless I would have used the restaurant at least every 3-4 weeks, say 15 times per year.
All that changed because of the poor way in which a small complaint was dealt with.
In Early 2010(approx Feb) I dined at lunch time with 2 friends and ordered the Liver and Bacon, one of my favourite meals and not something which is commonly on menus in Northern Ireland.
The restaurant was very busy with a funeral party and our food came in due course.
My plate was set down very quickly and the waiter went off to serve other customers in another area. When she left I found that I had been given Rib Eye steak rather than the liver and bacon ordered, no waiters were in the vicinity and it was very busy so I decided to eat the steak and not make a fuss. It was fine and ok apart from the fact that it was not what I had ordered, I assumed that it was a kitchen mix up due to the large number of customers.

When we went to pay the bill I noticed that I had been charged for the Rib eye steak rather than the cheaper Liver and I pointed this out to the waitress. This is where their total lack of customer service skills started to become obvious - the waitress went to the kitchen and when she returned she insisted that I HAD ordered the steak as that is what the chef said and it was written on the order! So in other words I was wrong and/or telling lies!
I was really annoyed by the dismissive attitude and reluctantly paid the full bill and left.

A few days later I was still annoyed by the way I had been spoken to so I E Mailed a complaint which was responded to in "template" style , ie. no reply to the actual issues raised, just a general apology and a £15 voucher.

A couple of months ago I found the voucher in a drawer and decided to use it, I noticed that it had to be used within 6 months, this was now 7 months after my complaint!
I E mailed the lady who had dealt with the complaint to ask if the recently expired voucher could be used and I was amazed to be told NO!
So - they have lost a life long customer due to poor service and a stupid attitude over a £15 voucher!
So - Park Avenue management, you need to take a long hard look at what other Hotels and restaurants are doing in Belfast, otherwise you will have no customers left.
Your staff need proper training and you need to have a bit of commercial/common sense over vouchers etc.
I have been eating in the Park Avenue for over 20 years, most recently 12-15 times a year, but I WILL NOT BE BACK.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank ajmull
Manchester
Reviewed January 17, 2011

My husband and I were married at the Park Avenue on 31st December 2010 - it was amazing! We knew we wanted to be married on New Year's Eve which limited our venue choices but we could not have opted for a better hotel. Stephen was fantastic - a perfect mix of professional and friendly, he ensured the day ran smoothly and every one of the staff were excellent. The room looked beautiful and they had no issues with us dressing it oursleves (although they offered to help with anything we needed). The meal was delicious, was served efficiently and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. One of our guests told us at the wedding that they weren't able to eat the main course or vegetarian option and was offered anything she'd like off the menu. My husband and I were really happy with our junior suite, it was beautiful, and we intend to return for a stay this year. Most of our guests stayed over the night of the wedding and the hotel set us up a huge table for the guests morning. We were really pleased to hear every one of our guests support our thoughts that the staff are amazing, the rooms beautiful and the food excellent. I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough for a weekend getaway or a fantastic wedding reception.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I spent last Saturday night in The Park Avenue Hotel on a weekend trip to Belfast. We found it quite difficult to find the hotel as it isn't right in the centre of Belfast but once we located it we were very happy with our choice of hotel.
Check in staff were helpful and pleasant to deal with and the decor of the hotel and our room was very nice. Room met all our needs with free wi fi, plenty of tv channels, an extremely comfortable bed and nice bathroom.
We had a drink in the bar before going to the restaurant and the staff were very helpful even bringing us in menus from the restaurant and booking us in for dinner while we enjoyed our drinks.
The food in the restaurant was lovely with a good selection and reasonable prices and the breakfast the following morning was very nice.
We used their fitness suite on the Sunday morning which was a small room with a treadmill, cross trainer, bike and rowing machine. This was perfect for us as we were the only ones using it.
All in all a very nice stay but perhaps a liitle far out if you are planning a night out in Belfast.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
cork
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We recently visited Belfast for the first time and decided to stay at the the Park Avenue. I picked the hotel from the internet and thought I was getting a great deal. It is listed as a 4star and we decided to upgrade to a Junior Suite as reccommmed by staff that this was the best. My husband and I booked the 2 night shopping break which was to include dinner on one evening and breakfast on both mornings. I was told the restaurant was fine dining and the quality of the food excellent.
Needless to say I was looking forward to getting away and enjoy the fine dining on the Saturday night. What a Let down...... the food was terrible and the service appalling. Our menu included a set menu which is fine, but we had to pay supplement for beef or steak and salad. I ordered the fillet steak and mu husband ordered the sirloin and both were terrible. I had asked for medium/well but not over coooked mine came out crispy and my husbands similar. i ordered salad, which I was paying extra for and he forgot to bring to the table and at the end of the meal when he finallly remembered he said i wont charge you for that ! ok I thought. Deserts were very disapointing and I had to aske for my tea a second time. The following morning breakfast came and I returned my RAW bacon to be cooked, the waitress took my entire plate of food away so whilst my husband ate I had nothing in front of me. What returned to me from the kitchen was disgraceful I couldn't eat, again we said nothing and left. That night we wanted to order some room service, the hotel book said they served till 8.30 we rang and were told the chef had finished and we couldn't get anything - was this a 4 star hotel ?????? disgraceful. I kicked up a fuss and was given a pannini, chips and salad. That night we went to the bar for a drink and found it closed since 10pm. The following mornig we went for breakfast before 10am and we were then told the dining room had closed at 9.30am. When I questioned this I was told it closed at 9.30 week-days, we were told 10am on arrival and nothing about Monday being any different. On top of this we had the junior suite where a jacuzzi and TV were in the batroom so I decided I would sample both and had to turn the tv vol to 99 to hear the sound over the mind boggling noise from the jacuzzi, so what should've been relaxing was a loud nightmare. At this stage we had enough, we complained at reception to a very nice young lady who said she would talk to someone and would see us when we were checking out. Acknowledging, that we had not had a good experience overall.
When we got to check out we were told by same nice girl that she had spoken to MELANIE and that if we wrote in she would look into it............ Had Melanie a glass ball I wondered that she could look at ??? this lady is supposedly management. I say supposedly as you would expect to be dealt with in a professional manner after paying the best part of 300.00 sterling in these recession times. When I said it was simply not good enough same nice girl went off looking for someone, who all happened to be in the usual meetings and left us standing at the desk wihtout our change after taking our money. In total DISGUIST we left, I WOULD SINCERELY NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cork021
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I picked this hotel off the internet and it seems I made a good choice! A warm welcome and efficient check in with very helpful staff. The room was beautifully decorated with attention paid to small details such as wiping fingerprints off the glass top table every day.

The food in the restaurant was wondrful, well presented and not over facing and the staff could not do enough for me. I am due back in Belfast at the end of November and will not hesitate to return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business