“In need of a bit of a tidy up !!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Belfast Central

Travelodge Belfast Central
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
liverpool
“In need of a bit of a tidy up !!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

As with a few of the other reviews..you usually know what you're getting when you book a Travelodge. Unfortunately Travelodge Central (or room 115) needs a bit of TLC. On arrival the staff let us check in straight away (brilliant as we arrived at 10.30 a.m.). Room was EXTREMELY basic. Literally just 6 hangers and a rail. No drawers and absolutely no room to put any more of your clothes, which meant I had to leave all my other clothes in my case. The bathroom is the tiniest bathroom I've ever been in..the door literally touches the toilet as you enter the room. As I went in the bathroom I noticed, what looked like vomit in the toilet. On flushing the most awful stench filled the bathroom. This took 3 flushes to get rid of. On reporting this to reception we were told that this was 'back flush' (it was sewarage). The gunk didn't reappear but there was a slight 'pong' to the air everytime we came back to the room. Also they had literally attached a piece of lino to the side panel of the bath with large black screws, which looked very cheap and tacky. Water pressure was very irratic. You literally had to time your shower as the water would suddenly turn freezing and then would change to scalding hot. At first I thought this was somebody next door turning on a tap but our friends had the same problem in their room. The good side to the hotel is it's location. Smack bang in the middle of Belfast...although it was rather noisy at night (closed window did get rid of some of the noise)...windows wired so very little air gets into the room. Didn't try the restaurant next door but would highly recommend Harlem Cafe just round the corner for breakfast and lunch...brilliant. Apparantely Premier Inns have totally refurbished ALL the Belfast hotels so think they may take a bit of Travelodge's trade as this hotel is in definite need of a tidy up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear CallywallyLiverpool
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am sorry you found some points of you stay disappointing and would like to assure you our maintenance staff will address the issues you have highlighted. We are committed to constantly updating our hotel with new TV’s installed last week and further improvements planned.
Garry Gaynor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dungannon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I visited late at night and it was a man at reception and a security man also... security man led me to my room and was very friendly. The rooms are basic but I guess cleanliness is the main key, well for me it is anyway. Good place to say as long as you aren't hoping for a luxury stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Aine47
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the help our staff provided.
Sherborne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Travelodge is usually my go-to hotel when I want a bed for the night during a trip somewhere so that was why I went with them when staying in Belfast for a few days. The hotel itself is a fairly standard Travelodge. Clean enough but nothing too luxurious. The walls seemed to be a bit thin so it could be quite noisy, especially when cleaning was being done (I think I was next to the cleaning cupboard!) but it wasn't too much of an issue. The staff were all friendly and helped a lot when I needed pointing in the right direction. They supplied a map showing me where the open top bus departs from, too, as well as providing instructions on how best to get there on foot.

The real selling point of this hotel, however, is the location. It is right in the centre of Belfast and just across the road from The Europa Hotel. This is where many of the bus tours and other things leave from. It is also only about a 5 minute walk from Castle Place, where the open top bus tours leave from. Many of the attractions can be reach in this way, or by a short taxi ride (the Titanic Quarter, for example, is only a few minutes drive away). So if you want a hotel without the frills but for a good price in an excellent location, this is ideal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hi Andrew
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
As you experienced the hotel is excellently located, clean and comfortable with friendly staff and good value for money which is exactly what we aim to provide.
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here recently for 2 nights. Staff were friendly and polite when we called to book and they were pleasant throughout our stay. When we checked in, I went up to our room with the bags only to find that someone else was staying in the room already.. Thankfully we have a sense of humour and the guy on reception allocated us another room straight away. The look on his face made me laugh even harder than I already was! Room was basic but spotless and had everything you need. We didn't eat here (try cafe Harlem around the corener for breakfast!) so can't comment on the food but overall we enjoyed our stay and though it was the perfect central location from which to explore Belfast. We will be back.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms seemed quieter, we stayed on the 6th floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear donegal25
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I would like to apologise for the mix up on you arrival, this was due to the previous guest leaving items behind in the room (which are still at reception waiting to be collected!).I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Located in a central Belfast location just steps from the Crown Bar (oldest bar in Belfast, recommended) and Belfast City Hall. This is an economical hotel (42 GBP for a double room) does not include breakfast (~7GBP) or Wifi (5 GBP) in the price. Wifi is only good for 24 hrs, but is on the bitbuzz network so if you buy an Ireland '3' sim card for your phone that includes wifi, you can use that login to access their network. Clean bathrooms and beds. Slightly noisy with proximity to pubs. Free street parking (limited) until 0800.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Frantstc
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
We keep our prices down by charging guests only for what they use, other hotels “free Wi-Fi or breakfast” is built into the price everybody pays. We also understand that guests may only want to use the Wi-Fi to keep in touch whilst they are away from home so we now have free Wi-Fi in the hotel reception.
kind regards

Bracknell, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I wouldn't stay here again! This Travelodge is centrally located but it is old, tired and is desperate need of a make-over. First night the main light went. Also sink plug and bathroom fan didn't work. Told reception next morning but when I got back that evening I was told that the maintenance man was not back for three days. I had to move myself to another room! It was scruffy. Not dirty - just scruffy. TV picture was poor - very few channels. Wi-fi costs £5/day!! Three night later bulb in new room went at 8pm - no-one available to fix it!
Breakfast in Olio's was good!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Dear Richard E
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I would like to apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay. We aim to resolve any problems as soon as possible as the maintenance staff were not available we changed your room. The wifi cost of £5 for 24 hours I believe is the best value in Belfast for a high speed reliable connection. We are constantly updating the hotel with new flat screen digital televisions being installed in all of the rooms this week.
kind regards
Garry Gaynor

Travelers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

First visit to this central hotel and we loved every minute of our stay. A bit noisy with hen party but that's to be expected in budget hotel in the midst of bars and clubs. Rooms fairly large and beds comfy and clean. Staff friendly and attentive. Excellent meals next door. Can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hielsa
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Misty 186574
Thank your for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.