“Great Breakfast”

Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Tara Lodge was very clean and the staff were very friendly. The breakfast was superb. Parking was a bonus and the location was great. Just a few minor things detracted from our visit. We were first put in the wrong room and had to go on to the first floor where the door key didn't work. There was only one towel despite there being two of us staying there. The room was quite warm and it was too noisy to leave the window open at night. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay at Tara Lodge and I would consider staying there again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Finnish first
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent 2 nights in the Hotel as part of a tour around Ireland. The room was clean and well appointed. No air-con or fan and it was warm but survivable and there was a heater.

Staff were exceptionally friendly at all times. We took the included breakfast which was very good. WiFi was fast but required occasional re-login periods. Included off-street parking.

The location is really handy, lots of bars and pubs and restaurant e close by,and less than 15 mins walk from town centre and shopping.

I would quite happily stay again if returning to Belfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights at the Tara Lodge at the end of June this year and we had a fantastic time; everything was wonderful. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and check-in was lovely and efficient. Even when we called to book the room a few weeks earlier, we were delighted with the service we received from Ricky, who made us feel welcome before we had even arrived in Belfast! We stayed in a Deluxe Twin room which was exceptionally clean and well-maintained: the bed especially deserves a mention - it was amazing. Breakfast was great - excellent service again, plenty of choice without excessive waste (we, too, agree with the hotel that quality supersedes quantity); a delicious made-to-order cooked breakfast plus the opportunity to self-serve from the cold breakfast buffet. What more do you need, really? Location, for us, was perfectly fine; the hotel is just off Botanic Avenue where there are a plethora of bars and restaurants and the train station is just a few minutes walk away. We got to Titanic Belfast in just two stops and it cost us very little. The hotel is also close enough to the centre that, should you find yourself overwhelmed by the public transport for any reason, a taxi back isn't actually too expensive either. All in all, a wonderful stay. Many thanks to the Tara Lodge for enhancing what was a great first visit to Belfast. We would love to come back!

• Stayed June 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our expectations were exceeded when we checked in for one night on a melting hot afternoon ( 27deg) in July 2013. Lovely entrance, fabulous receptionists, superb room - very comfy bed, exceptionally clean, aircon, (much appreciated on such a hot day & evening) great breakfast and attentive staff.
Hotel is in a very student-y area as Queens Uni is 5 min walk away, but it was student holidays and therefore very quiet. Hotel is 5 mins walk from Botanic Gardens which are world class. 1 min walk to Botanic Ave -a very hip, village-y street full of great restaurants, bars and boutiques. 10 -15 min to city centre ( Botanic Ave much nicer though).
We were refreshed, well fed and watered, and very pleased with our choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntsville AL USA
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is a good 20 minute walk from city center. We took a wrong turn and were not in a great neighborhood. Website is not easy. We booked the wrong type of room on the site and had money due. We were not the only ones as another group was discussing the same thing when we check in. Free parking was nice.

Room Tip: Read the website carefully.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NoraDouds, General Manager at Tara Lodge, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Geodan99

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Tara Lodge.

We are located in the Queens Quarter area of south Belfast just 10-15 minutes’ walk from the main city centre which we hope we make clear on our website and other travel agent sites. This area is close to Queens University, Botanic Gardens and the Ulster Museum with many bars, restaurants and cafes close by. I’m sorry you took a wrong turn – Belfast can be tricky to drive through due to a slightly complicated one way system. Thank goodness for google maps and sat navs! I’m delighted you were able to avail of our free, secure car park.

I apologise for any confusion but I’m not sure what you mean with regards to the website booking. I’d really appreciate if you would email me directly to nora@taralodge.com to let me know what problem you experienced with your booking. Each and every guest who books through our website receives a confirmation email confirming the room type, the cost and whether payment has been taken at the point of booking or due on departure. Our new website has only been live since February 2013 and I really appreciate all feedback regarding how we can make it more user friendly.

Thanks again for staying with us at Tara Lodge. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Belfast.

Kind Regards

Nora Douds
Belfast
London
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Such a comfortable hotel. We got a great price for the first night, not so good second time round but it was the bank holiday. Lovely comfortable bed, shower/bath, good service and altogether smart. It would have been nice to have a bar/bar snacks available in the evening, but having said that it is very close to a lively restaurant area so no problem to find food. Enjoyed our stay very much.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annabel075
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked this hotel after seeing the amazing reviews on Tripadvisor. I was really looking forward to the stay until my first day there. First of all, I had accidentally booked 1 room, thinking that 3 people could stay in it. When we checked in at 8am, the hotel receptionist said nothing about us being 3 to a room. In fact, she took all of your luggage and stored it until our room was available. We stayed for about an hour hoping that a room would be ready (we had been travelling all night and wanted to take a shower) and asked her again about our reservation. She said nothing about the 3 of us being in a room and said that a room would be ready in the afternoon. Well, later on that day, we came back to the hotel. The hotel receptionist was now a man and he quickly snapped and said we could not be 3 to a room. After going back and forth, he refused to help us and kept berating us for making a mistake in the booking. I told him that we got the point, but that the morning receptionist should have told us so that we could have time to make alternate arrangements since Tara Lodge refused to accomodate us. We received no apology or help. I asked to speak to the manager and was told there was none until the next day. I then asked to cancel the booking for the following day because our group was going to be seperated. The receptionist refused to cancel it because it was past 12pm. Imagine my frustration when I told him that had the morning receptionist told us about the booking, we could have had the time to cancel it. Despite that, and me continuously wanting to speak to a manager, nothing happened.

The next day, I went to see the manager and guess what? There was no manager on duty! Not only that, but they continued to refuse to cancel our booking. The receptionist was a different lady this time and she was also not nice and not helpful. We had no choice but to keep our room and find another hotel for my sister to stay at. The other hotel was closer to downtown and 1/3 less in price. The room was nicer and the receptionist was also much more accomodating. I have travelled all over the world and have never experienced poor customer service like I have at the Tara Lodge.

I also have to point out that in the 2 hours or so that we spent trying to figure out the hotel room situation, 2 other couples checked in and had difficulties with the receptionist. Both couples' reservations were wrong and one couple, despite showing the receptionist proof that she had in fact reserved a room for 2 by email (and it was confirmed by the hotel in the email), kept being told by the receptionist that she was wrong and that the hotel was not liable for her mistake. I will be telling everyone I know NOT to book this hotel.

Location: It's not even that close to downtown and it's a bit frightening to walk there when it gets dark. There are much better hotels closer to the downtown core than this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Protraveller1616
NoraDouds, General Manager at Tara Lodge, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Protraveller

I am so sorry that you felt you were treated unfairly and that our customer service was not acceptable. I have fully investigated this matter, having spoken to all my team members and I’d like to explain our case.

Firstly - we did fail you in one aspect. My staff members did not make me aware that you wanted to speak to the manager. Although I was on leave the weekend on which you stayed, I would have made myself available to speak to you personally, as I really do care about the service which we offer. I have made it clear to each of my front of house team that if a guest wishes to speak to me in future then I will be available whether in person or, if I am unable to attend Tara Lodge, by telephone. I am sorry that I did not speak to you in person but I would not have done anything different from my reception team as they followed all our standard procedures.

As you, yourself admit, you reserved a DOUBLE room through our website and in due course received a confirmation email confirming that this room was double occupancy meaning two persons. We do not offer any triple rooms therefore we do not accommodate three adults in a room under any circumstances. At no stage did you make it clear on your early arrival to Tara Lodge that there were three of you checking into the double room. Indeed the initial receptionist you had contact with has confirmed that there were only two large pieces of luggage. As your room was not ready for check in at this early stage you left to return later, after the reception shift change over. As the second receptionist then explained we do not accommodate three people in a double room. I can understand that you were angry as you had to pay for another room but we did not misled you at any stage and we trust that our guests understand that double means two people.

The two receptionists you dealt with on the day of your arrival are both long serving members of staff and they are both well trained in offering excellent customer service. I know them all to be very friendly individuals with good people skills who strive to provide excellent customer service. Indeed it is very unusual for my receptionists to ‘snap’ at guests, to ‘berate’ guests and not to be nice or helpful. The receptionist who you spoke to the next day was extremely helpful and in fact arranged alternative accommodation for the third person in your party.

Kind Regards