“Home away from Home!”

Ranked #38 of 51 Belfast B&B and Inns
Béal Feirste
“Home away from Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I spent the past 6 weeks at Camera Guest House: 4 nights per week, Mon night to Thur night. It was made feel very welcome and my stay was most enjoyable. Good value for money. Nice safe area and never any problem parking car on the street. Over the course of the weeks I utilised a variety of rooms and they were all of a high standard, very clean and serviced on a daily basis. It is nice and quiet at night time. Good breakfast in the morning. The manager and staff are very friendly and courteous. I will utilise Camera Guest House on future visits to Belfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Despite booking 4 months in advance, when we arrived at 6:15pm, we had no room. We were told there was a problem with our credit card but we had no problem using it anywhere else in Ireland or Northern Ireland. Why this couldn't have been addressed 4 months in advance, I don't know. We did not receive any emails from booking.com despite what the owner said. She was not at all friendly and kept saying, "I'm not having this discussion with you." It was a terrible first night for us, when we were already exhausted from the long flights and drive to Belfast.

Not a great location either. Too far to walk downtown, shady people sitting outside.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Shawna A

Travelers are raving about these Belfast hotels

tucson
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

i was there overnight last summer, dont recall the date but it was during the time of the olympics in london and i took a little side trip to isle of man and then by ferry to belfast. never having been there before, and not knowing anyone there i choose this guesthouse and had inquired about its proximity to the ferry station, told not far. so i choose it over hotels that were simialarly priced downtown (mistake looking back now). days in advance I wrote and explained that the ferry, as they well know or could find out, arrives at 10am and i would like to walk and sightsee my way to their questhouse and please suggest route and things to see. never recieved a response, though they claimed they did, and were unaware i would come early. to give benefit, i didnt get angry but waited until back home in usa to check my work email, thinking they had possibly not read my mail stating to respond to my personal email or my uk number. nothing. so, woman at ferry gave me some simple directions, and really belfast isnt hard to walk around. i made it to downtown area passing all the competitively priced hotels. it was a freezing wet day, so i had to stop and buy a warm sweater, not difficult and not expensive. and a nice late breakfast. then got totally lost and eventually got a taxi and he didnt even know where the place was. once there i didnt get lost again. its on the same street as the muslim visitors center of belfast, good landmark to remember. not far from the wonderful ulster museum, must see!!! but definately not close to downtown at all, an hours walk or taxi ride, or bus i suppose. arrived at 1pm and couldnt get in. women running the place drove up and told me i am too early to check in, but they would bend the rules a bit, and were not the least bit nice or helpful really, and i bitterly expressed my dismay over the lack of communication. they werent at all apologetic, lied a bit, handed me a map and suggested the usual tourist nonsense. I do poorly with maps. do much better with: walk down such and such street and look at such and such and get a tea at such and such... i took a quick nap and was awoken by the extremely loud construction right outside my window, which started again by the way in the morning very early. my phone charger which was a uk charger had exploded in wall socket while i was napping, i had heard the pop but didnt know what it was until i woke, so no phone till late that night when a bartender charged it for me. I dont drink but everyone else in belfast does, so bars are fun... the room was cute enough except for the addon of the tackiest formica counter on earth, as big as a bed, to contain a sink in the room, dont know why. the toilet flushed fine but took ten loud minutes to refill. the breakfast was fine, and we continued our back and forth unpleasantries in the morning. but by then i had med a local who was quite nice and not working and took me all about town, even found a new charger. I wont stay here again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was only staying one night and just needed a warm bed and to this extent, the guesthouse suited perfectly. The manageress was extremely accommodating regarding my early arrival and request to check in and leave my bag and I was warmly welcomed by her and her colleague. I would say that the street, though quiet, was a little off-putting with some empty and run-down buildings but on entering, first impressions were really good, with a large and airy living room and breakfast room.

I was pleased to hear that I’d been upgraded to an en-suite room due to some electrical problems although these weren’t due to affect me as they were to be fixed by the evening. My room was large for a single and very warm and while it looked a little tired, that was as expected given the price. The bed was very comfortable.

However, unfortunately when I returned in the evening, a number of niggles and problems surfaced which damaged the overall impression. In particular, work had been done on my electrics during the day and the door (that I had definitely locked on leaving), had been left unlocked with my case inside, I was unable to get any hot water in the shower (apparently there may have been an additional cord to pull and thankfully there was plenty at the sink), there was nowhere obvious to plug in the kettle – it was sitting on a large surface by the sink but the only option was to move it to the bedside table, the bedside lamp didn’t work and the television needed to be retuned every time it was switched on. I could also hear my fellow guest talking on the telephone which didn’t bother me especially but I can imagine if the guesthouse was full it may be a little noisy.

These were, in the main, fairly minor issues and could be easily fixed so I am sure many others could have a very positive experience. I’d say this would be a particularly suitable location for someone visiting the University which is very close, but it’s a brisk 15-20 minute walk from the City Centre. I would not rule out staying there again if I return to Belfast as my key criteria - value, a comfortable bed and flexible check in/ out, were met.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were warmly welcomed to this centrally-located guesthouse. The light and elegant sitting-room is comfortably furnished, and we enjoyed a plentiful and delicious breakfast in the bay-windowed dining room. Aside from a rather noisily flushing en suite loo, the bedroom was clean and comfortable, with extra blankets, lamps and television. The guesthouse is close to frequent bus routes, a supermarket and a wide range of restaurants and takeaway outlets. The best advertisement for this guesthouse is the warm and friendly staff who provided a kind welcome, advice on what to see and do, and kindly offered to look after our suitcases until our late departure. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: There's a lovely double room overlooking the front garden.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Camera Guesthouse in Sept 2012. I was a little nervous arriving here because the street the Camera Guesthouse is on is a little run down. But thankfully any fears I had went away when we stepped inside. We arrived early, which we knew we weren't supposed to, but we were greeted warmly and taken to our room. The room was clean and comfortable. The only issue with our room was the TV didn't work well. But that was ok, because we weren't there to watch tv. Parking is on the street. If you want a place for lunch, I recommend Ryan's, a pub ~2 blocks away from Camera Guesthouse. While in Belfast, I also recommend booking a black taxi tour, visiting the Titanic museum and grabbing a pint and some food at the Crown Saloon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cameragh, Manager at Camera Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Hello Bisque3,

Many thanks for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. As a small family-run business, we really appreciate your custom.

You're absolutely right about the TVs during the time of your stay (September 2012) - they were rather antiquated! - but they have all since been replaced with new HDTVs, complete with a wide range of digital channels.

Once again, we're glad you enjoyed your stay!
el cerrito
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Marion does a great job keeping this well-run guesthouse in order. It's clean, well appointed and conveniently located near Lisburn Rd which has many places to eat. She recommended Cafe Fish a 20 minute walk up Lisburn Road and it did have fine traditional fish and chips. Good bus service or 20 minute walk to center of town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank godago
cameragh, Manager at Camera Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments. We're really glad you enjoyed your stay and our recommendation for dinner!

We hope that if you are ever in Belfast that you choose to stay with us again.

Kind regards,