“Very pleasant Sunday lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Causerie
Ranked #353 of 1,041 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

As a lone traveller, I wanted to find somewhere comfortable for a relaxing Sunday lunch, and thought that this brasserie in the Europa Hotel would be a good bet. I was slightly perturbed by some of the negative reviews but I went along anyway. I was greeted by a very charming and pleasant gentleman, who offered me a choice of tables, or a 'nice booth as you're on your own', which was very kind, as I've often found myself being shunted onto the most cramped little table in other places, where lone diners are considered a nuisance.
The service was friendly, polite and very efficient. I enjoyed a lovely crab and prawn starter, followed by the stuffed chicken breast. OK, it wasn't the most gastronomic experience I've ever had, but it was a tasty and traditional Sunday lunch I wanted and that was what I got. I thought it was reasonable value for a hotel restaurant, although the pre-theatre menu they offer looks even better.

• Visited November 2012

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not what i expected!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Was really looking forward to dining here and it was definatly not what i expected. I did read others reviews and thought they were overreacting. So i went with a clear mind. starters were ok. The scones tasted as though they were heated in the micro. Ordered steak for my main and asked for it well done but it was burnt! It also was served on a wooden chopping board so obviously the previous comments that were made on here didnt make a difference. The peppered sauce was very watery and when you need to pour it on your steak It just runs off the chopping board. chips were nice. Wasnt impressed with the 'seasonal veg' which consisted of pile of cauliflower and one bit of brocolli. Overall I wasnt impressed with this place. This was supposed to be a very special meal for me and my partner and was very let down :( for the prices i would not recommend this place.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank flomc
Belfast
“Extremely helpful staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I organised a pre theatre birthday dinner for my mum at The Causerie in early October. We had to have somewhere close to the Grand Opera House, within walking distance which this is. I organised this quite last minute and wanted to pay for everything for her. I called to make the reservation and the staff member I spoke to was very helpful with the reservation and the requirements. he didn't take my card details but assured me that one of the staff would call me to settle the bill. He also arranged for a candle in the dessert which was just a gesture really. I called at about 7pm just to check the status and spoke to Jabbar who said that she was still eating and that he would call me back when they were finished. He called me back shortly after, gave me details of the bill and took my payment. He also provided my receipt to my family in a sealed envelope. He was extremely polite helpful and efficient. My mother and aunt came back with a glowing report of the food and service from Jabbar and the team and I am extremely thankful for their professionalism and help.
They didn't have the pre theatre menu but their dinner was reasonable value, not too expensive (£50 for 2 courses and glass of wine)

• Visited October 2012
cork i
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Three of us took a day trip to Belfast. Had wonderful day at Titanic & was looking forward to nice meal in world famous hotel but were quite disappointed when we left. Staff seemed uninterested. Waiter seated us but never offered us wine menu, waitress never looked where she was putting food on the table. Food poorly presented - ridiculously large bowl of peas with fish dish, steak presented on wooden board with no way to stop sauce falling off. I hope it was just a bad day as I was expecting more but unfortunately I would not recommend this particular restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank mary M
carrolll, Manager at The Causerie, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear mary M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your dining experience at our Causerie Restaurant. I am very disappointed to hear of your dining experience with ourselves at the Europa. I would like to apologise for the service you received. I have taken these issues up with our Restaurant Manager and staff to ensure this does not happen again. I can assure you we are closely monitoring their service levels. We would love to have you return to the Europa where I am confident we can improve on your last experience.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“The Piano Bar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'm a local--and had never been in the Piano Bar. Very relaxed, pianist in the background. Very calm after a meal in a nearby restaurant. We had a window seat--which is great for a spot of people -watching! 2 gripes--the husband was pretty shocked that a major Belfast Hotel does not sell draught Guinness? Whats that all about??? 2nd gripe--fairly major--dearest drink I've ever bought-----£4.20 a pint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles