“Great Experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Great Experience”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited for the first time last night and really enjoyed the experience! Part of a group of 8, we all enjoyed the food, setting and atmosphere, not to mention the restaurants location in the Cathedral Quarter.

1 Thank CSferg

UK
“Great food in a quirky setting”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The four of us dined here on Thursday 22nd August, having made a reservation in advance. We suggest you do this, as we saw them turning away a few people who were just walk-ins.

As previous posters have stated, the place is really quirky and everywhere you turn, you will see something that will make you look twice.

The crab and smoked salmon was, simply divine. My husband had the mussels in the bacon and leek sauce which he said were delicious. My son had the bacon Caesar salad and my daughter had the soup. All enjoyed the starters.

In all honesty , the mains came rather quick after we had finished the starters; we would have liked a little longer between courses. My husband ordered rump steak, which we actually thought was fillet (fillet isn't on the menu!) and it was cooked exactly as he requested. Son had fish and chips which was simply massive. I had the burger which was lovely. The only disappointing food was my daughter's...the lentil and cauliflower dahl, which she said was like eating baby food! The wine was quite expensive, though very palatable. We also had the Poshmopolitan cocktail which was pricey for the size of the glass.

All in all though, we had a great meal and would return when we are in Belfast again.

1 Thank Gill1986
Cheltenham
“Very good lunch”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had a very good lunch at this eclectic eating establishment. The food was very good, although in some cases a little salty. The Hake that was the "Catch of the day" was excellent. One of our party, being allergic to gluten and dairy, chose the steak, only to have it delivered covered with sauce, which of course, contained dairy...it was duly removed and another delivered without sauce. The member of our party who chose the caesar salad remarked that the dressing overpowered the salad, the only comment from the person who chose fish and chips was that "it is too much to eat". Superb starter of crab, smoked salmon, tomato jam all served with wonderful guinness wheaten bread - delicious and probably worth a repeat visit just for that. They were out of olives!!

1 Thank tutu48
Belfast, NI
“Overseasoned style over substance”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was my first time eating in the Cathedral Quarter MIB and I was there for a birthday celebration. The decor and ambience were great, really quirky and unique. However, the whole experience didn't live up to my expectations. Three of our party got the flat iron steak. I can't deny the cut of meat was beautiful but the sauce covering it was so overseasoned i was continuously drinking water later that night! My fellow diners also found the majority of their meals over salty. I commented on this to our waiter who explained it was a sea salt garnish or something to that effect?!!! No apology at all really. My sister had ordered the burger which was quite charred around the edges so she couldn't eat it all. Again this was mentioned to our now quite surly waiter who gave no explanation at all - he just lifted her plate and left! We all got beer fat chips with our orders which were so crunchy they were difficult to eat. I can get better from my local chippy! We also ordered a cocktail each. The raspberry and vanilla mojito was good if a little small but the twig and berry was very disappointing. I had expected a really fruity zesty cocktail but all I got was a watery weak glass full of ice with a mild hint of alcohol and coconut! And at nearly £6 it was highly overpriced. We also had to ask for a jug of water 3 times. Overall, I won't be in a rush back to MIB.

4 Thank ClareBear55
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
“A quirky interior and good food”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The interior of the restaurant is quirky and interesting, which looks great, however the side seats at the bench are too high and it made eating uncomfortable. The staff were very friendly and the service was very quick. W had the pre-theatre early bird menu, the food was good but not outstanding, I would definitely eat off the main menu if I went again. It is a good restaurant and I would recommend it if you were in the area, however the restaurants in nearby St Anne's Square are better.

1 Thank Louise C