“Good time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of the Potted Hen - CLOSED

the Potted Hen
Cuisines: British, Irish
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Had a great night in this lovely restaurant. Food great staff great. Would definitely recommend this spot.

Visited July 2013

County Down
“Lovely tasty lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Had the special salted chilli beef, was so tasty plus large portions with yummy skinny rough cooked chips. Nice atmosphere for a girly lunch with nice staff.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Definitely a Place to Dine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

My family and i had an excellent birthday lunch for our daughter. Staff were really good and attentive. The food quality was excellent. Will be recommending it to all our friends.

Manchester, UK
“Potted Hen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I ate there last night with work colleagues. I like the style of the restaurant and the helpfulness of the staff. We chose from the pre theatre menu and I ate some really nice food. I wasn't so impressed with the terrine [I have had and made better] but the hake fritters with the curry coleslaw was magnificent in presentation and taste and very generous in portion. The chocolate peanut butter tart was very pretty and NO ONE got a look in on it.

Well done!

Derry, United Kingdom
“Good Food Quality, Poor Service and Sky High Prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We ate here as a small party of 6 as a 'significant birthday' on a Saturday night in November. The restaurant seemed very busy and it seemed the staff were stretched/not enough staff to handle the number of customers - we weren't in a rush per se but would have appreciated more professionalism/attention given the prices paid (more on that later ...). The food quality in general was very good (but some of the portions were very small) and I think all 6 of us were agreed on that ... but .... the prices were the real shocker .... dinner for 6 and 2 bottles of wine came to nearly £300 .... and this is the bit that I detest the most - a mandatory service charge of 10% added = > £25 .... for service that was far from exemplary. "Tipping" should be discretionary based on actual level of service received - but I found this charge frankly daylight robbery - multiply that by a packed restaurant and somebody is making lot of money. This is the most expensive meal I have had in years and I felt well short of overall value - and for that reason we wont be back. I suspect that other diners will do the same once the initial novelty of the Potted Hen has worn off .... I really hate to have to write this sort of review - but Potted hen - you are ripping off customers ..... you need to change if you want a sustainable business.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ironpoker1
LFOODIE, Owner at the Potted Hen, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Potted Hen, I am disappointed to hear that you didn't fully enjoy your visit with us as we strive to provide great food at reasonable prices with quality service.
I notice that it is the service charge in particular that you were not happy with.
Like most restaurants in Belfast a discretionary 10% service charge is added to all tables of 6+, it is cleared stated on all our menus that is discretionary and that it is for your server and as such the business does not collect any of these funds. If you would like anymore details or if I can be of any help with this matter please email me at info@thepottedhen.co.uk
Many thanks