“I could live here!”

The Lonely Poet
Ranked #195 of 1,048 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Bar, British, Irish, Grill, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a family run Bar Bistro that delivers tasty food using great local produce. We pride ourselves on friendly, professional service and offer a great selection of drinks, we also have live music on certain nights to create a fantastic atmosphere. We can also cater for family and business events.
“I could live here!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming here for a long time & I'm yet to find a fault, if your dining the food is just divine, (pear salad) (fish pie) my all time favourites, sometimes it's hard to decide since everything looks mouth watering! Just calling for a bevvie, cocktails are fab, (rango) my fave! They have entertainment which suits all ages, bottom line The Poet has got it bang on, food, drinks & service!! Unbeatable!!
Never change what you guys do!! Xx
Test pilots......

• Visited June 2013
TheLonelyPoet, Manager at The Lonely Poet, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your review.

Glad you guys enjoy the place as much as we like having you down.

Christian

“A fairly nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We decided to visit the poet for drinks and nibbles. The bar wasn't busy but had a nice atmosphere. I was with my husband and four year old son. We ordered drinks and the chip shop platter, which was delicious! The bar staff and the girl that served us were very friendly and helpful! However, the man in charge was not so friendly! He seemed to be annoyed at the fact that there were children in the bar! My four year old was well behaved and simply playing with the toys in the toy box, which i assumed are there for children to play with?! He also blamed him for doing something that he didn't do! He was in our view the whole time! In my opinion this was a Saturday afternoon and this was surely the time that you would expect families in the bar! I could understand if it was a Saturday night! Why advertise the fact that you are child friendly? It is a pity as this would put me off going back. However, I can't fault the food or the service from the waitresses and bar staff!!

• Visited June 2013
TheLonelyPoet, Manager at The Lonely Poet, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are happy that you enjoy your platter and atmosphere on your recent visit and very pleased that you found the service friendly as it something we are very proud off.

I was the person in charge that day and feel I need to explain that I am more than happy to have families in the bar but I do have a duty of care to both customers and staff alike. There were a few children in that afternoon running around and a lot of them were playing in the walk way behind the bar which is where waiters/waitresses would carry both hot and cold food to the customers. We nearly had an incident when a child ran straight at a waitress carrying hot food narrowly missing her legs. So I asked parents would their be able to keep there children close to their table to avoid any injuries.

I can't be sure what I blamed your child for as I only spoke to one child that was making a loud banging noise disrupting other customers, I apologize if it was not your child but at that moment in time there was a lot of children in the bar and was difficult to tell who they were with.

We do welcome families to The Poet and put effort into making it a relaxing place to visit for parents as well other customers.

Again thank you for your review and hope to see you again in the future.

“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Lovely quiet bar restaurant, a usual haunt. Unfortunately recently food has not been to the expected standard.

Visited June 2012
TheLonelyPoet, Manager at The Lonely Poet, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
I am sorry that you found your recent visit disappointing. Unfortunately with no details of your visit I can not comment on your experience. We have recently made a lot of renovations including renaming ourselves 'The Poet' ( nobody likes to be lonely) so I would be interested to find out when your visit was, so if you could please contact me on 028 90401248 it would very much be appreciated.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“That's me proved wrong!!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I've been to The Poet a few times in the last year or so & to say I wasn't impressed would be an understatement. So when my missus said we were going there on Thursday night with her sister & husband, it wasn't a culinary experience I was looking forward to, so a couple of glasses of wine were in order before we went down

The good experience started as soon as we walked in the door, we were greeted with a really friendly welcome by our waitress Lee who showed us to our table

We only ordered bread & tapenade & dips for starters to share but they were lovely, different breads etc, but it was the mains that proved my misgivings wrong. My sister in law & I went for liver & bacon on a creamy mash with an onion gravy. Honestly this was beautiful, really well cooked, with crispy back bacon & a thick tasty onion gravy, I could have licked the plate. The Boss has salmon on crushed spuds with samphire, she said it was really tasty as well & the brother in law has a simple haddock & chips but again it was woofed down

We had quite a few bottles of wine as there was a quiz on after which we stayed for & enjoyed & the bill was really reasonable & throughout the evening our waitress Lee catered to our every need

I'm so glad I was proved wrong as this is a local place that I want to go to more!! Well done The Poet!!

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for your review.

Sorry that you did not enjoy your first experience with us but we are very pleased that you found it a improvement on your return something that it in future visits we hope to maintain.

Christian
“Fish Pie does not belong to this menu”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Fish pie was very very dry & looked very basic with just champ sitting in a bowl. Expected it to be on a plate & garnished and would have tasted good if it wasn't so dry. Suggest a little pot if sauce accompanies the pie & maybe a few green beans to garnish. Definately not value for money. Sadly I won't be back.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for your review.

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your Fish Pie, the Fish Pie is supposed to come with fine trimmed beans as garnish but unfortunately that must have mistakenly been missed on your dish, apologies, it was one of our dishes that was we received a lot compliments on but unfortunately we did not have space for it on the new menu as we are taking our menu in a new direction focusing more on salads, pastas, risotto's and grill while still maintaining some old favorites, a bit of something for everyone.