“Excellent Cuisine - not to be missed!”

The Poet Bar and Grill
Ranked #156 of 1,056 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family run Bar Bistro that delivers tasty food using great local produce. We pride ourselves on friendly, professional service and offer a great selection of drinks, we also have live music on certain nights to create a fantastic atmosphere. We can also cater for family and business events.
Belfast
“Excellent Cuisine - not to be missed!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have been to The Lonely Poet now on three occasions in as many weeks and on each visit I have to say the food was excellent - the Halloumi Salad is not to be missed! Every course was of the highest standard and all the different courses served made us envious of each other's!
Those serving ensure they create a warm and welcoming atmosphere - nothing was too much trouble and it is really child friendly as well as being able to create child free areas for the more grown up visit - which is such a bonus! A varied and inviting menu, which is well priced is on offer and the £14 Two Course Meal, with a drink, is such excellent value for money and choice.

• Visited November 2012

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Most enjoyable.”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Went to the lonely poet with family and friends for birthday meal. Food was excellent. Service was very good and nothing was too much trouble. Everyone in the party very much enjoyed their meal and all said they would return again. Food was hot and plentiful.

1 Thank lennie_rainey
Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
“Pricey”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Well, its nicely decorated. But I ordered 2 G&Ts, and no change from £8. This is not the Ritz, and should reconsider its prices.

• Visited August 2012
TheLonelyPoet, Manager at The Poet Bar and Grill, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
I would love to know where you normally drink. Having checked the prices of ALL competitors in the area and found our prices to be extremely reasonable, I can only assume that you are basing your review on drink prices from a different decade or are comparing us to tescos prices as there are very few place in the greater belfast area where you will get a G&T for less than £4.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Waited far too long for cold food! :(”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just back from a family meal in the Lonely Poet. Surroundings were very nice and the floor staff efficient and pleasant, HOWEVER, a short while after being seated we were advised that we should place our order sooner rather than later as a large party elsewhere in the restaurant were getting ready to order. We appreciated this advice and placed our order immediately. About half an hour later the salad my father ordered as a starter arrived, frankly a half hour wait for a salad is just too long. Following that we had to wait a further 55 minutes for our main courses to arrive. Upon arrival there were immediately several problems with the meals.
My fathers chips were cold, so much so that he sent them back. Both myself and my mother ordered "sizzlers" with sauce separately, our food came drowned in sauce and it was anything but sizzling. My meal was warm at best, and my mothers chicken wasn't hot either. We were both able to lift the metal dishes with our hands, which give an indication of how "sizzling" it was. Usually customers would complain at this point, but we'd waited that long for the meals we just wanted our dinner and ate.
When paying the bill my father raised said issues with a member of staff. He apologized and said that they pride themselves on cooking food freshly to order, this may well be the case but our meals must have been kept warm and waiting for long enough to arrive with us as they did. We were also advised that we should have raised our concerns at the time, but this would only have resulted in an even longer wait than the one we had already endured.
The member of staff we spoke to alerted the manager to our complaints but he didn't speak to us at all, and left the waiter to apologize. It is part of a managers position to deal with and resolve customer complaints, and this duty was neglected. No money was taken off the bill and no further compensation or explanation was offered. Dissatisfied and definately won't be back for any meals.

• Visited September 2012
TheLonelyPoet, Manager at The Poet Bar and Grill, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear C-J-Mac369,

Thank you for taking the time to review our bar and also for your email. I am sorry to hear you won’t be returning to The Lonely Poet, I would however like to take this opportunity to clear up a few issues for the sake of other readers.

We can appreciate that there was an excessive wait for your food to arrive however our records indicate that it was significantly less than the 1½ hours that you suggested in your review. When you phoned to book we explained to you that we were very busy at that time and while we could seat you at 6.30pm there would be a wait on your food as we had several large parties at the same time who had booked in advance.

Obviously you felt there was an issue with your food, however as these issues weren’t raised at the time and all dishes were finished by yourselves we were unable to confirm or rectify the issues. The ‘waiter’ you spoke to was in fact the Duty manager that evening and dealt with the complaint after asking me for advice.

Kind regards
Aaron
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My tennis team had booked a meal at the Lonely Poet after we played a friendly match against a team from outside of Belfast. As I have special dietary requirements, I contacted the restaurant in advance explaining my problem. They responded very quickly with all the information needed so that I could make my choices without worry on the night. I ordered not my normal 2 courses but 3 courses! My friends commented on how it was great to see me with a healthy appetite and to see that I was not worrying about the food. And my lack of worry was because of the way my special dietary requirements were dealt with by the management. And I must say that all 3 courses were delicious to boot! I had the chicken caesar salad, sirloin and then the peanut butter cheesecake. I have been talking about this peanut butter cheesecake now for days it was that delicious!

I would highly recommend the food at the Lonely Poet for people like myself who have special considerations and also just you lucky normal folk, too! There were 13 people in our party and everyone agreed with me that the food was just fantastic. The atmosphere was also very good as Saturday nights they have live music. A great experience all around and I will definitely be visiting there again.

• Visited September 2012
Melanie,

Thank you very much for your great review and it was fantastic to see you back in again on Thursday evening. We understand how it can be difficult to eat out at times when you have dietary requirements however we believe strongly in making a trip to The Lonely Poet as relaxing, enjoyable and hassle free as possible for all concerned so if there is ever anything to do to help we will gladly do it.

Kind regards