“Okay Hotel, Good Value”

Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Dundalk, Ireland
“Okay Hotel, Good Value”
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We stayed a single night (we'd stayed the night before in a Hilton so it was up against stiff competition)

The location is excellent for a vist to Belfast and there is a gated car park to the rear. We got a parking spot but I doubt it has sufficient space for every resident.

The room was okay, but the bed was a little on the soft side for my liking. The breakfast was good for this standard of hotel,

Check in and out was fast and efficient.

• Liked — Location, Breakfast
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank medic143

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
dublin, ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Rotten hotel, car park out the back makes you feel like you
are entering a prison. My bedroom was rank but bathroom was clean.

On the upside the girl at reception was OK and buffet breakfast was very good, these were the only upsides to a very ordinary hotel.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — My Room & Car Park
  • Stayed November 2008
1 Thank offalyhero
Prestatyn
Reviewed December 30, 2008

The hotel was clean and tidy and is in a good location for visiting Belfast.

Breakfast on the first day was good, but it was not that busy. On the second day it was much busier and breakfast was poor, lots of dirty tables, poor quality sausages, no glasses for the fruit juice and the toaster not working properly

However the reason why I would not stay in this hotel again or recommned it is that the walls in the bedrooms are paper thin and you can hear the TV in the next room as if you were in that room. I got woken up at 8.00am on Sunday morning due to the room next door switching on their TV to listen to the news. I was able to listen to people in the room having a conversation.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank recommended2
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 23, 2008

I paid 96 pounds for a double room here.
I was given a disable room without asking me if I was happy with that. I didn't complain because I had more space.
Now, my room was connected to a different room via a wooden thin door obviously locked. I could hear the people in the other room as they were in mine. And these people... god, what a bunch of drunk low lifes. I don't know what the story was that night in the hotel, but there were drunk people all over the place making noise and annoying guests who, like me, just wanted to have a good nice sleep for the HUGE amount of money we paid. The people from the hotel didn't even have the decency of asking these terrible guests to have some respect. I know this because, since I could not sleep, I went down to reception to get some water, and met a few of these individuals messing with the water machine, completely drunk, extremely noisy and with alcohol in their hands. By the way, I found glass beer bottles all over the stairs. Both the security man on duty and the receptionist failed to say a word or put some order. This went on until 4 or 5 in the morning!!! Furthermore, since I could not sleep as I said, I again went down for a walk and was "intercepted" by a different receptionist who, perhaps mistaking me for one of their drunk guests, treated me like I was doing something wrong, patronising me and being completely unfriendly.
That's not all, at 7 in the morning, the cleaners started tidying up the room next to mine. It seemed like they were not able to do it without shouting at the same time in some strange foreign language. I could even keep hearing them when they turned on the hoover!!
Alas, a terrible terrible night for the money I spent. Or should I say waste?
Consider another option since, although the room was very nice, the rest was awful.

• Liked — The room was nice
  • Disliked — The rest was awful
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lomedin
around Poland
Reviewed December 14, 2008

the pervasive smell of stale urine in the lobby was a surprise, but while that faded away over the next couple of days other faults became more apparent. Noise, for instance. Come weekend, and the visiting stags, the corridors echo throughout the night to the sound of slamming doors and a shouting lads. The rooms are outdated, nothing disastrous, but the sheets are synthetic, the desk is tiny and the TV channels disappointing. Internet is extra: ten quid per day. The conference room we were in was atrocious, a boxy class room affair with suffocating temperatures, prison lights and barely any windows to allow natural light. And forget a late pint, the bar closes early if the barman, as he put it, 'is getting up early tomorrow'. If all you need is a bed then this might not be a bad choice, if you're expecting anything more then good luck. Defnitely one for stags and hens on the cheap, anyone else should look away.

• Liked — some decent pubs five mins away
  • Disliked — everything inside the hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank weisenheimer
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for two nights on 28th November. Everything was fine, the hotel was much better than we expected & there was no noise from other guests, (thankfully!)
The hotel was around 10 minutes walk from Belfast city centre, but I wouldnt let that put you off, you can always jump on the number 7 bus if your feeling lazy, or it's freezing, like when we went! Theres plenty of Restaruants & bars on the walk into the City to keep you occupied.
The breakfast at the Hotel is good, theres a choice of food to keep you going for a few hours. Also tea/coffee facilities, tv, & a hairdryer in the room, & in the bathroom theres shampoo/showergel in case you have forgoten yours!
Our bathroom looked like it had been recently refurbished, so no comlaints there.

• Liked — comfort, & helpfullness of staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank koalas2
Brighton
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Stayed at this hotel earlier this year on business. First of all location, its ok but the first thing I saw when walking out of the hotel lobby was a beggar being threatened by a gang. Thankfully they left him alone, admittedly the hotel has no control of this but it gives you an idea of what the area is like.

Second the hotel, its old, tired and needs renovation.

However secure parking is good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Other hotels in Belfast are better.

• Liked — Parking
  • Disliked — Location and Run Down Rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business