“excellent”

Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We had got a great offer so couldnt resist even though we live in belfast. our stay was terrific from start to finish. room was huge & spotless, bed comfortable. food was excellent & nice atmosphere & all staff were polite and couldnt do enough for us. So overall we had a lovely stay and would reccommend this is you are visiting belfast.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Stayed in two appartments one was for grandparents. They were located about 20 meters from the main hotel. Check in was simple and efficient. the appartments were very spacious, but both were stinking of cooked onions. They were reasonably clean and the bedroom was dated but sufficient. The tiny TV didnt work in the bedroom, but for us that didnt matter.The lounge/ kitchen area was very spacious with an abundance of seating. There was also a large flat screen tv with a good choice of channels The kitchen area was modern and had all the amenites you would need to cook. We were provided with a selection of cereals, bread butter tea coffee and orange juice.
If the smell of onions could be sorted out this is a good enough place if you want your own space. Its like a self catering flat you would get in Spain while on holidays. Would I stay again, well that would depend on my reason to be there. Its a slightly up market student accomodation, and for stag/hen party it would work well. As a place to stay on a city break its not for me...but there again if you are on a budget its as good as you will get for the money

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Gareth_Macklin, Owner at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
Good afternoon John,
Thanks very much for your recent posting. I'm very glad to see that you found our check in and space in the apartments so appealing.

I note that you stayed with some members of the family which as you found, would be very popular due to the space and pricing. On your recommendation of these for stag & hens, this is not generally the type of guests who stay with us as they are aimed more for family and couples on weekends away with business guests during the week.

However we do get quite a lot of girl’s weekends away, reunions and sporting groups due to the close access to the shopping district of the Lisburn road, city centre and the surrounding sports facilities within the area.

I would like to apologise for the onion smell in 1 of the 2 apartments booked. Due to the facilities of the fully fitted kitchen, guests do enjoy using this. As a result, on very rare occasions, if guests have been cooking strong food in the morning, it may be difficult for us to fully remove such smells. Normally we'd move guests to another free apartment but were unable to do so in your case due to being fully booked.

Like all hotels, we're continuously monitoring and updating our decor throughout the hotel and our 3 separate apartment facilities. In fact, we actually opened a brand new block last year with state of the art facilities as well as currently undertaking a refurbishment program in the 2nd one. Therefore, we'll hopefully see you back soon in our apartments or you can of course take advantage of our renowned hotel bedrooms and suites.

Thanks again and Best Regards

Gareth & all the team at Malone Lodge
Ireland
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Should have written this much sooner!! We were married in the Malone Lodge Hotel on 23/10/2010. From our booking, right through to the big day, the experience was brilliant!! Our family and friends were blown over by the quality of food, service,staff and could not fault a thing. Sinead deserves our special mention for all her planning and advice!!
A great hotel, which is central to everything you would need and deserves alot of praise. We hope to see you soon.Well done and keep up the hard work!! Paula&Tony Denvir. Great competitions on their facebook page btw, so you might even win your chance to stay here!!!! :-)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula D
Hi Paula & Tony,
Thanks a million for your recent posting - the team were delighted to hear you both loved the hotel so much. Obviously we try to look after all our guests to the standard you and your family experienced everytime but it is always exceptionally pleasing to hear such great feedback.

We'll look forward to seeing you both back again soon and in the meantime, on behalf of myself and all the team at malone lodge, the very best of luck with your new marriage.

Kind Regards
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I normally never write reviews but I was so delighted with my recent trip to Belfast, and in particular to the Malone Lodge Hotel, that I thought it deserved my recommendation. Truly fantastic hotel, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will be back for sure! The welcoming staff and cozy atmosphere really made my Christmas. And the food was divine, I'd return simply for that alone! Wonderful place for a get-away break.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Gareth_Macklin, Owner at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Thanks very much for your recent posting. Glad to see you enjoyed your time in Belfast so much and that we were able to look after you so well. Hopefully you got to see plenty of the sights but will be back to stay with us soon and see more! Best to keep an eye on our website or face book page for special offers which hopefully you can take advantage of!

Best Regards
Gareth & all the team at Malone Lodge
Longford, Ireland
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I stayed here with my wife in January, we noticed cleaners cleaning rooms at 6.30 in the evening when check out is either 11 or 1 so ther should be loads of time to get rooms ready. Staff were very unhelpful and the girl checking us in and the porter who showed us to our room were also working in the restaurant later that evening which is never a good sign.

The food was very nice but the service was very slow and we had to ask for water for the table on two occasions. The bedrooms are clean and tidy and the bed was very comfortable. I know it was a busy night and the staff were under pressure but they seemed uninterested and flustered. However the chap that was a night porter (Tall man with short blond /brown hair) was a gentleman and chatted to us as soon as we came back into the hotel. He was very busy but this didn't stop him chatting to everyone and he really made us feel welcome.

The next morning when i went to check out the girl at the reception was short and down right rude, not a smile in sight. If i had one word of advice for the manager of this hotel i'd promote the night porter and send your younger staff on a public relations course.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank garybrady76
Thank you very much for your recent feedback to us. Looking at each of your points raised, I would like to address each separately :
- Firstly in relation to the slow service in the restaurant and having to ask for water twice and your checkout, on behalf of the team, I would like to apologise for this. The team have taken your feedback and incorporated it into our weekly training program.

- In relation to noticing some housekeeping staff servicing rooms when you were checking into yours at 6.30, there are occasions where guests request a significantly late checkout such as due to travel arrangements. On occasions such as this, we try our best to accommodate such requests.

- In relation to several of our staff working on reception and later in the restaurant, I've spoken to the staff in question. Both of which who've worked as part of the team for over 4 years were quite distressed that this had upset you. As previous hospitality students, they asked me to point out that the hotels practise of allowing them to train in all departments of the hotel had greatly helped them with their aim of becoming future managers within the industry.

Personally I hope this did not cause you too much concern and would like to point out that this practise of departmental cross skilling of our team was actually commended in each of the 3 training awards we've recently won.

Finally, thank you for your kind words in relation to the quality of our food, cleanliness of the rooms and especially your thoughts on our night porter team.

Hopefully you will be able to revisit us next time your visiting Belfast and experience the level of service in all departments that we are renowned for.

Kind Regards
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I stayed in the Malone Lodge Hotel with my boyfriend in December in one of the apartment suites. From the moment I arrived I was struck by how friendly the staff were and the lovely atmosphere in the hotel. I found the food to be of an exceptional quality and the service excellent.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to a friend or to anyone looking for a relaxing and pleasant stay. The whole experience was wonderful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Gareth_Macklin, Owner at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Thanks very much for the great feedback. Glad to hear you and your boyfriend had such a great time up in Belfast with us. Especially glad to see you enjoyed the suites - we get lots of great comments about the extra space and faciliites, especially the jacuzzi baths!
hope to see you both back soon
Ireland
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Also booked this hotel on the citydeal breaks for 6 of us and agree with the previous writer that you are treated as second class citizens. Our room hadn't begun to be cleaned at 5.30pm and had to wait in the lobby. Dinner had been reserved yet we were not on the listing at the restaurant. Took a reluctant waitress 15 mins to pull two tables together. Bread and dips took 40 mins to arrive. Never once asked if our meal was ok. Terribly slow dinner and terrible atmosphere however the food was good when we received it. Upon leaving a waiter stopped me "as I was the last one out" to ask if I had paid for the extras. We cancelled breakfast as I had to get out of this hotel as soon as possible. Reception rang our room the next morning at 11.10am to tell us check out was at 11am - needless to say reception did not ask me how my stay was upon checking out. I got out as fast as possible and never ever will return. Hotel is basic and needs a bit of updating. Underlying currrent on disorganisation running through it. Staff not up to standard (except the night porter/waiter who was a gem and should be running the place). Nothing will take me back

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IrelandTwinkle
Gareth_Macklin, Owner at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
My name is Gareth Macklin and I'm the Managing Director of Malone Lodge hotel in Belfast. I have just read your experience of your stay with us this morning on Trip Advisor, for which I wanted to contact and UNRESERVEDLY apologise to you.

As a family run hotel in Belfast for the last 20 years, we work tirelessly to try and look after all our guests to an exceptional level of service which we have obviously not done in the case of yourself and for this, on behalf of my team and myself, I would like to apologise.

I genuinely appreciate the time you've taken to raise your concerns with our service. I have sent you my private mobile via email so that you can contact me at your earliest convenience as I personally want to resolve this situation with you.

Alternatively, please contact me at gmacklin@malonelodgehotel.com or on +44 (0) 2890 388 000.

Thanks very much and again please accept my apologies. I look forward to speaking with you.

Regards