Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments
Preferred Hotels
$82
PremierInn.com
1,585 results
All reviewsknife and forkthe main hotelcity centrejacuzzi bathbed apartmentwedding receptionqueens universitylisburn roadulster museumbar foodlarge bathroombotanic gardenslovely hoteluniversity areaquiet streetwalk in showervisiting belfast
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I recently stayed at the Malone Lodge for a week for a business, and was quite disappointed with the room, service, and staff. I have given this an 'average' rating because I would be willing to stay here again if it were my only option in Belfast; however, I would not recommend the hotel nor would I seek it out again in the future.

My room was an apartment across the street from the main hotel (and I should note that colleagues who stayed in the main hotel had no complaints about their rooms). Upon arrival I was impressed to see a very large room with a desk, sitting area, huge bathroom, and jacuzzi tub. The bathroom also had a nice walk-in shower and vanity. Unfortunately this positive impression did not last long. First, there was no air-conditioning or ventilation in the room, and only one small window (without a screen) to permit air flow. I suspect this normally would not be a problem, but given recent high temperatures it made it difficult to sleep at night given the heat (and loud noises from outside due to the open window). The walls were also quite thin, so you could hear any activity in the apartment hallways or even the televisions in the other apartments.

Even more troubling, however, were the bugs I noticed while there. First, there was a dead spider on the floor the entire week of my stay (I suspect it just crawled in through the open window). I decided to purposefully leave the dead spider on the carpet to see if the housekeeper would clean it up, but alas, it was not vacuumed up the entire week I was there. Also, I noticed very small white bugs on the bathroom floor each morning. They were miniscule, so I only noticed them given the black tile in the bathroom (but I shudder to think what might have been hiding in the drab beige carpet in the bedroom).

The breakfasts were mediocre, but the serving staff were always helpful and had a nice attitude (despite appearing severely understaffed each morning). This is more than I can say for the staff at the front desk (who were quite rude and unwelcoming at check-in) or the servers in the bar (who were also extremely surly and unwelcoming).

Room Tip: Request a room in the main hotel (not the apartments).
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank emilius77
Malone-Lodge-Hotels, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Dear emilius11,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor however I was very disappointed to read your feedback on your recent stay at Malone Lodge Hotel.

In relation to your comments on the lack of air conditioning in the room, as you stated this is not often a thing we need to worry about normally. But in light of the hot weather we have had recently, we have ensured that there are fans and sheets available to all guests on request. I am sorry that on your stay you were not made aware of this. We will certainly include this in our in room information pack from now on.
While I apologise that there was a spider in your room due to the window being open I am compelled to question the comments you have made about “bugs” in the bathroom. I have since your review taken time with the Housekeeping Manager to take rooms out of service to observe these so called “white minuscule bugs” and have not witnessed any form of bugs but have noted that the cloths used to buff the tiles are leaving small fluffs as a result of being very new. As an action I have had all the buffing clothes washed several times to ensure that this is not an issue again or mistaken for something that it is not.
I am sorry to hear that you experienced some noise throughout the night and apologise for this inconvenience.
Thank you for your feedback on the quality of breakfast, I have addressed this with the Head Chef. At Malone Lodge Hotel we cook our breakfast to order to ensure that the quality of food is impeccable. I am very disappointed you did not enjoy the cook to order breakfast, please be assured that I, along with the Head Chef, will be monitoring the quality of food and the cooking to ensure that this is not an issue again.
Please also note my disappointment in the comments of the staff being unwelcoming and rude. The Malone Lodge Hotel has had all staff complete their World Host and also additional in house training on customer service. I will ensure that all departments complete a refresher on great customer service again.
Once again sincere thanks for expressing your views which are extremely important to us as it is only through feedback from pro-active guests like yourself that we can hope to maintain the high standards for which the Malone Lodge Hotel is renowned for.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Observed that a very pretty and large wedding was going on at hotel so initially relieved that we were moved across the road to the 'suites'. First impressions were of large room which someone had worked hard to clean after a party. Very visible marks on the lovely carpet. Greasy stains on the furniture. Burn? Mark on voile curtain. Then the bathroom - absolutely filthy broken seal at bottom of shower screen. Patches of black mould on sealant round grouting. Bath mat was ragged and had holes in it! It was a jacuzzi bath and although efforts had been made to clean it there were black marks on the bath as well. Beginning to feel like grumpy old people we went out and returned feeling hot and a bit sticky. No hot water for a shower.

Breakfast was all right and parking was good. We have stayed in many different grades of hotels - we were not expecting this to be the Merchant but we did expect it to be clean. Very expensive for what we got and not at all the treat we had been anticipating.

Room Tip: Our room was 609. Excellent party going on at the back but we were not invited! Avoid.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fionnualag

Dear fionnulag,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at Malone Lodge Hotel.
I would like to apologise for the issues regarding your room. I will ensure that the Housekeeping and Facilties Manager rectifies the issues raise immediately.

Once again my sincere thanks for expressing your views which are extremely important to us as it is only through feedback from pro-active guests like yourself that we can hope to maintain the high standards for which the Malone Lodge Hotel is renowned for.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Malone is a great choice for a place to stay in Belfast, especially if you are driving as they have free car parking. We ended up getting upgraded to one of the two bedroom apartments in the building next to the hotel. It's also a fairly easy walk to the city center and up to the Cathedral Quarter. The hotel is adjacent to the Queen's Quarter.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to one of the private apartments in the building next door!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Hi mrdcs1,

Thank you for choosing to stay in the Malone Lodge Hotel and for taking the time to write such a great review. I will pass on your feedback to all the team. We hope to see you again soon in the Malone Lodge Hotel and hopefully be able to offer you an unpgrade again also!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Our family spent 3 nights here while based in Belfast to visit Northern Ireland. The accommodation was not difficult to find with the help of the GPS we got with our rented car. There isn't a big porch fronting the hotel as it is among street side parking that was usually full, but it was easier to just park at the ample private spaces at the back of the hotel and carry our own bags past the reception.

We were settled into the Malone Grove Apartment block which was next to the hotel. The 2 bedroom apartment was spacious enough for our needs. However, some of the furnishings do look dated, notably the one and only bathroom we all had to share did not have much counter space to lay out all our toiletries.

Just a small grouse that the baby cot we requested was not ready upon checking in and we had to make several calls to the reception to bring it over. This delay took away some precious time and whatever energy we had left to do some sightseeing in the city on our first day of arrival. Other than that, the apartment provides us a comfortable sleep, and has free secured Wi-Fi.

Location wise, limited basic amenities, as well as a Thai restaurant was about 5 minutes walk away. However, we were all quite happy with the dinner and breakfast at the hotel's Knife & Fork Grill Restaurant (they were not open for lunch, though). Nevertheless, food was good and we were reasonably charged, considering the small appetites of the kids. The service staff were also kind enough to let us in earlier for breakfast. All that more than made up for the slight hiccup on arrival.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Hi ngvm
Thanks for the great feedback on the hotel and the deal that you got. We hope to see you back in the Malone Lodge Hotel soon! Many thanks again from all the team.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I recently stayed here for two nights during a tour of Ireland and I must say, of all eight hotels that we stayed at this was by far my favorite...with a few small exceptions.
The room was large, especially by European standards, it was bright and spacious with two beds, a desk, two lovely arm chairs, a dresser and a table! The bathroom was large and bright but I must say the toilet roll holder was placed there for the Leprechauns that must visit...it was about 12" off the floor and you had to lean over to reach it (and I mean lean...). Room was very clean and pleasant, nice selection of coffees/teas with biscuits so you could enjoy a nice cup of tea or coffee in the evenings.
As we were with a group the dinner selection was limited but portions were good and well presented...breakfast however seemed a little disorganized and they did not appear prepared for a large group like ours (29).
Hotel is very close to Queen's University (about a 5 minute walk) and being in the university area lots of bars and restaurants; you could probably walk "downtown" into the heart of Belfast in about 15 minutes as well!
Hotel is in a residential area and appears to have been made by converting former row houses into one big building. Great set up....thoroughly enjoyed it!

Room Tip: I enjoyed having a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the street....bright and cheerful!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear poohbearfan10

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It was lovely to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us recently at the Malone Lodge Hotel.

Your kind comments on our Hotel are much appreciated. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all the team.

I do take your constructive feedback on board regarding how we manage large groups for breakfast, please be assured I will raise this issue with our Restaurant Manager.

Sincere thanks once again for your review and I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back in the future.