“Autumn Holiday”

Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Autumn Holiday”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were on a coach holiday and the Stormont was our base for the week. The hotel is modern and very contemporary. The room was very spacious, with comfortable beds and plenty of storage options. Our only complaint was that the hotel had changed over the duvets to the winter variety which made sleeping uncomfortable on the first night, as the weather was still mild, however a request for sheets and blankets was quickly filled which solved this problem. Breakfast and dinner were served in the Shiraz restaurant. Breakfast is buffet style, with an excellent choice of hot food to choose from, as well as cereals, breads, porridge etc. I highly recommended trying the Guinness bread with some of the local cheese.
Dinner was a set menu with a choice of three starters, mains and desserts. There was plenty of variety over the week and we were very satisfied with our dinners.
On our final evening we dined in the hotels bistro. This has a excellent menu with a comprehensive choice for dishes. Most of the ingredients are sourced locally and it is clear that a lot of care is taken in the preparation and cooking of these ingredients to display Northern Ireland's at it's best.
Service throughout the hotel is excellent, with everybody that we encountered helpful, courteous.
Only caveat is that the hotel is very busy with functions as well as guests, and the wedding party on Friday evening did disturb the sleep of some of our group.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Very impressive hotel but our room and bathroom were very small and struggled to turn round in the shower.
The saying all frills and no knickers comes to mind. Only an overnight stay but we were so looking forward to this hotel after good reports from fellow travellers. The restaurant staff in particular were so unfriendly and the food was below average. Our table was placed in such a position staff were squeezing past to serve other tables, very uncomfortable

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Norman M, Manager at Stormont Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am sorry you did not find the hotel to our normal standard.
I have addressed the issues you raised.
We have 30 rooms which are having renovation work carried out within the next few months so hopfully if you return you will enjoy staying in one of these rooms.
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Would Stay again great value for money and a first class restaurant ideal for taking our conference delegates to after the meeting very impressed and shall be writing seperate review .

Come on reception more training needed you are letting this lovely hotel down.

Norman M, Manager at Stormont Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advser.
Sorry for the delay at check in and I apprecaite you high lighted the training issues which have now been addressed.
Thanks for the great restaurant review hope to see you again soon.
Leeds
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was really disappointed with my stay at this hotel. When I first pulled up I was impressed with the look of the hotel, but after waiting for 10 minutes at the reception desk for a member of staff to show up, myself and my colleagues were getting frustrated. Eventually the receptionist arrived to start the check in process. We thought we had booked bed and breakfast for £75 a night but was told we had a room only rate. When I asked what the B&B rate was I was quoted £65 a night. I asked if we could have that rate but was told we were not allowed to change rate and had to pay the £75 a night room only rate even though anyone who walked in from the street would only pay £65 for the same type of room with breakfast. She then offered us the option to pay an additional £16 for breakfast, which we declined. I was advised to take it up with her manager, when I did she was even more unhelpful than her colleague and refused to review our room rate.
When I got to my room I was pleased with the size, but was annoyed that the tv did not work properly and I could only get a signal on 2 channels with one of them being fuzzy.

Overall very disappointed with this hotel and will not stay here again!! I would advise anyone to avoid this hotel!

1 Thank lv8480
Norman M, Manager at Stormont Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip adviser.
We appreciate all feedback.
The rate that you paid has been set up by the company you used so we have no control over changing that . The good thing for you is that rate you paid stands no matter how high or low our rates go, your company has been contracted to the rate you paid. Our rates are Variable depending on demand.
I hope to see you back soon.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at the hotel many times over the last few years. The rooms are lovely with nice modern bathrooms and large comfortable beds. The lounge and bar area are great for meeting guests or just relaxing with a drink by the fire. The restaurant serves a grest breakfast and never fails to deliver. One downside is that they do not provide free WiFi in the hotel for guests instead charging a daily fee for access. All things considered it is a great option for a stay in the area and I would recommend it.

Kemnay, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Lovely Hotel .Food and service excellent The staff in the Bistro were very good and helpfulFood greatThis hotel is so close to the Nothern Ireland parliament if a visit was arranged for you.Away from the busell of Belfast

Room Tip: Anyone is excellent
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Galway,Ireland
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

The Stormont overall is a very nice hotel but there are some areas they could improve on. The biggest downfall of the hotel is the fact that they charge for wifi. I think this is truly greedy on their behalf. Considering they must have so many business guests due to they proximity to Stormont I really don't know how they get away with charging for it! Needless to say I refuse to pay so I go without it for the duration of my stay. Another down side for me personally is the rooms do not have a fridge. Makes traveling with my 6 month old son a bit difficult as I cannot store food for him etc. My last gripe is the cost of drinks. £3 for a cup of coffee at the bar! Not to mention the price of alcoholic drinks! In saying all of that the rooms are very comfy, breakfast is great, staff are friendly and overall the location suits us as we have extended family living close by. I would stay here in the future but come on stormont give your customers free wifi at least!!!!!!