“Average hotel”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I live 20 miles from Belfast and know the Europa history well .
I decided to stay for a night .I didn't have a room booked ,just walked in off the street and booked .As I checked in ,the staff made a fuss off the people in pinstriped suits but I felt like the poor relation who shouldn't be allowed a credit card .My room916 was on the 9th floor at the back .Double bed but small room .Flat screen TV ,safe ,Iron ,Kettle .
Lights both side off the bed but switch at one side only .Table in the room is marked from hot cup being put on it .
Shower room had a glass door and a glass window facing the wardrobe . I dont think the window frame has ever been cleaned . The top off the tap came off in my hand .One off the curtains started to come off the rail as there was no stopper on the rail end .The bed was the most comfortable I have had for a long time . The breakfast was self service and good quality .I did notice the pinstripe brigade being offered a newspaper at breakfast .At checkout ,I asked how they took payment without my pin number ,They said once its swiped its pre authorised . I said whats to stop me using someone elses card as it dosent require a pin ,They agreed it was possible .

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Irishpup

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I've stayed at the Europa once before alone on business, although usually stay in cheaper hotels (Premier Inn etc). On a recent visit with my fiancée I decided to spend a little more on a "Superior Double" room at the Europa.

We had no problems generally with the hotel itself.. the location and lobby areas are excellent. The room itself was clean and had an excellent view over the city.

Unfortunately we experienced two problems with our room, that were reported to staff but not resolved. Firstly what was describe on the Europa website as a king sized bed was actually two duvets joined together by a zip. The staff said this was normal and that it should feel exactly the same as a single duvet - however this was not the case as the join was obvious and uncomfortable and the two duvets were not level.

The second problem was a blocked/very slow draining sink in the bathroom. Obviously problems like this can occur anywhere, so we were more than happy just to report this to staff and let them fix it whilst we were out - which we were told would happen.

On returning to our room late at night we found both problems remained, and it was obvious that the room had not even been visited by staff. It was late at night so nothing more could be done. We did report the issues again on checkout and were given a standard "we are sorry sir" response and an excuse along the lines of "reception was very busy last night". Not good enough!

I have since complained twice - once in response to an email requesting my feedback, and again directly via email. Two weeks have passed and I've received no response from the hotel - which is very disappointing.

It's a shame that two easily resolvable problems and some really bad customer service have left a sour taste in our mouths, as this is a lovely hotel, but not one I will ever use again. Staff in the hotel didn't seem to care that we were unhappy with our room - and the complete lack of response to my complaints only enforces this point. Contact from the hotel acknowledging my issues and offering an explanation would have been enough to make me feel like they cared about their customers and I most likely would have used the Europa again.

Very disappointed!

Reviewed October 15, 2010

First time in Northern Ireland so didn't really know what to expect. Arrived at the hotel which is situated in a great location, near shops, bars & restaurants.

The check-in was really quick and simple, we were on the 9th floor and the room was excellent everything we needed for a two night stay. Even had an ipod dock, shame we didn't bring our ipod though!

The bathroom was fantastic with a lovely shower and even a free rubber duck...our room view looked out onto Belfast and we could see for miles.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, chose to go out for a drink to the Crown pub (straight across from the hotel lobby) which is a must see as it has all it's original features. We ate Red Panda (Chinese) which was nothing special but decent enough prices.

We had a few cocktails in the Piano bar which was lovely, a wide range of cocktails & drinks and received great service.

The breakfasts were really nice, lots of choice and fresh food coming out all the time. Only gripe (which is really nothing!) was the bacon was stood a bit too long on the first morning, but the second day it was perfect.

All in all a very nice hotel, would go back there!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I recently stayed at the Europa with my partner for the weekend. We had a lovely stay in this attractive hotel and could barely fault it.
The basic rooms were lovely, not huge but adequately sized, the bed was very comfortable and bathroom facilities were very good.
The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful which made our stay enjoyable.
We had a couple of small niggles which didn't ruin our stay at all. We arrived on an early flight and were at the hotel by 9.30am however check in isn't until 3pm which I feel is very late. We could leave our luggage with Concierge but it would have been nice to have freshened up before heading out.
Other small niggles were the odd glass bathroom doors, not a massive problem but bit strange, no food left when we called room service on the Saturday night. They claim 24 hours but this is limited to sandwiches only.
We will be returning again this year and as long as we can get a good deal with the hotel we will definitely be using them again.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

This is a truly great hotel but let badly down by the most unfriendly unhelpful reception
staff. One girl in particular didnt get her name must really not like her job.
Hotel is lovely with really helpful concierge staff who were very pleasant. Also restaurant
staff extremely cheerful and helpful... Bedroom a bit of a let down as very dark and facing
a wall. Could hear alot of corridor noise and in the still of night could hear noise from
bedroom next door. But I would stay here again no problem as its in a great location

Reviewed October 9, 2010

Valet parking service and options were fully explained as soon as we arrived, making decisions easy and quick.

Concierge was always available, friendly, and open with information and recommendations, especially about city bus tours, restaurants, and entertainment. Also willing to provide brief access to a computer as the guest computer for email was not yet up and functional.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2010

The rooms in the Europa are North American in size and are well appointed. Beds range in size between Queen and King and are very comfortable. High speed internet is provided at a cost through British Telephones which is a bit exorbitant.

The location is in central Belfast, next-door to Northern Ireland bus and rail terminal, about 300 meters from the Belfast City hall, and close to all shopping, pubs and restaurant's. Organized bus tours leave from Donegal Place, a short distance from the hotel.

Check-in time is in the afternoon; however, if you arrive earlier in the day the consierge staff will store your luggage in a secure room until you check-in. There was no charge for this service when we used it.

The only real draw-back in this hotel room is the shower. It is off the "Daisy Head" variety, it is fixed in place, it cannot be adjusted, and it faces straight down. Showering for etither male or female is difficult.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family