“Very disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Derry, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed overnight last Saturday, was really disappointed as it was our first time in it. When we arrived and got checked went up to room - the headboard had been pushed together to make double bed only to reveal an ugly piece to board at each end, then discovered the headboard was covered in dust, also no bath towels, but got some later. Found it all very disappointing for the standard of hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anne G
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Anne G,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate all feedback we receive in order to ensure we are meeting the expectations of our customers. I am very sorry to hear your stay did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you this is not the level of hospitality that Hastings prides itself on. I have passed on your feedback to the Housekeeping Manager for review and we are currently monitoring the staff service levels.

I appreciate that you were disappointed with your overall stay at the hotel. We would love to have the chance for you to stay again with ourselves and I am sure we can improve on your last stay. Should you wish to visit again, please contact me directly on conf3@eur.hastingshotels.com and I can ensure you will be looked after very well.

Warmest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just back from another weekend break to Belfast Europa. Great time as always thanks to the staff.

Rooms are beautiful and so comfortable, clean and luxurious. The food is wonderful and
location of the hotel is also perfect for walking to the shops and my family and I always look forward to staying in the Belfast Europa.

The thing i liked best about the hotel and which makes our stay extra special is the wonderful helpful and friendly staff who always go the extra mile to make our stay memorable - Mary, Linda, Andy, James on Reception and also restaurant and concierge staff.

I really enjoy staying in this hotel when i come to Belfast.

Gillian from scotland

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gill1873,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted to hear you were able to experience once again, all that we have to offer at the Europa. I will pass on your kind comments to our staff who will be delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. We certainly hope to welcome you and your family back to the Europa Hotel in the near future.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here while at a conference at waterfront. Room at back of hotel, very small. Got dizzy circling around the bed sideways. Very tiny bathroom although up to date and functional. Great shower. Room décor from the 70s and stale smelling. Breakfast buffet nice and food hot. Staff clueless. No one could answer simple questions or give correct answers. For example, we asked about airport bus that leaves from bus depot behind hotel and were told it leaves every 20 minutes. But we were leaving on Sunday and it runs less frequently. Asked how long to walk to waterfront and they were not sure (10 minutes).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank NanHB
Dear NanHB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate all feedback we receive in order to ensure we are meeting the expectations of our customers.

In relation to the size of the bedroom, it is most likely to have been one of our Classic Bedrooms which are the smallest of our room types. There are larger rooms available such as our Superior or Executive Bedrooms should you prefer a larger room for future visits. I appreciate your feedback in relation to our staff members. The Concierge and Reception are able to provide information about local attractions, amenities and transport options for guests. I have passed your feedback to the department managers for review regarding this.

I appreciate you were disappointed with your overall stay at the hotel. We would love for you to have the chance to stay again with ourselves and I am sure we can improve on your last visit. Should you visit Belfast in the future please contact me directly on conf3@eur.hastingshotels.com and I can ensure you will be very well looked after. We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Had the Calamity Jane afternnon tea on the 7th Sept as part of a 60th birthday celebration. The service was first class, the staff couldn't do enough for us. They constantly refilled the tea pots and the sandwiches and scones. We were really impressed, and to be honest I enjoyed the afternoon tea more than The Merchant. First class service and first class staff. The cocktails in the piano bar afterwards were excellent. Highly recommend this venue.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Euro_traveller16
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Euro_traveller16,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent visit to the Europa Hotel. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the Calamity Jane Afternoon Tea. I certainly hope it was a special occasion for all. Our Piano Restaurant Manager and Bars Manager will be delighted to hear you had a fabulous day! We hope to welcome you all back to the Europa Hotel again soon!

Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

So, not sure how to say this nicely... but we did not have a Four Star Experience.

While it might meet 4Star criteria, but it was so all over the place as far as service, and amenities we just kept scratching our heads.

We arrived via taxi, and although there were three men in hotel uniform out front not one helped us with our luggage. Not one of them could be bothered to put his drink can down to help my 87 year old mother in law. So after two trips slogging through the lobby with our bags, we then got the eye roll at the front desk about "checking them" while our room was made ready. Oh did I mention it was noon, not 7 am. They "checked" our bags, hilariously this means they sat in the lobby unattended. I know this because after a long lunch we were able to get into our rooms. They asked if we wanted our bags sent up, and of course we said yes and pointed to them by the front door. About an hour later we called, and got an attitude that we had to come claim them... whatever, when we went downstairs they were still sitting there, no one around and we just took them with not a soul stopping us.

Not off to a good start.

The room sizes are all over the place. Our room was decent, on the 10th floor over looking the Shankkill and the Falls road area, my mother in law was on the same floor, same side of building in a room so tiny she could barely turn around in it. The furnishings are dated and worn. The bathroom was spacious and the shower was wonderful as soon as you figured out how to use it.

We called Housekeeping for an additional pillow, and got a message machine. Ok fine, left a message. No pillow that night, so when we left the next morning for sightseeing, I left a note on the bed asking for a pillow. The bed was dutifully made, but no pillow. I called again, left message but also followed up with the folks at front desk only to be told that they never check those messages, "haha and they'd take care of it". A pillow did arrive after that. This begs the question, why have a message machine, or at least change the greeting to call the front desk?

No Airconditioning, which we sort of understand in Ireland,except that hotel rooms get very stuffy and you also couldn't open the windows because on that side of the building is where all the tour buses park for the Opera House with their engines running sending exhaust into your open window. Since we were on the same floor as the Bill Clinton Suite, we suspected that room at least had AC.

I think breakfast was included, but we were never offered it and rarely saw anyone around much to ask them.

Having just spent 5 days in Dublin, where the people could not have been nicer and more accommodating this was very strange

The beds are really comfortable, but since it was sticky in the room it was hard to get a decent nights sleep.

On the plus side, the location is great easy walking to numerous restaurants and sites. The Hop on Hop Off bus pulls up in front and you are across the street from the Crown Bar.

The Europa has a long history in Belfast, and with a little TLC and some staff training could really be something. Our staff experience after talking to other folks in town for the World Police and Fire Games and staying at the Europa was pretty much consistent, odd and bad.

In one case they'd lost all the laundry that couple had sent out and kind of didn't care that they were leaving the next day. They did confirm it was delivered to the hotel, but couldn't find it in the building. Nice.

If you are considering a stay in Belfast, plan to book very far in advance since the summer tour season books fast and full. Opt for the Hastings only in the event you waited too late for the Fitzwilliam or something else.

Room Tip: Do not opt for a economy/budget room. It will be tiny.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JulianaCI
Dear JulianaCI,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay at the hotel. We appreciate all feedback we receive to ensure we are meeting our customer’s expectations. I am very sorry to hear your stay did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you this is not the level of hospitality that Hastings prides itself on. I have passed on your feedback to each Department’s Managers for review and we are currently monitoring their service levels.

In relation to the size of your Mother-in-law’s bedroom it is likely to be one of our Classic Bedrooms. There are larger rooms available to purchase such as our Superior and Executive Bedrooms. The Executive Bedrooms also feature air-conditioning.

I am delighted to hear that you experienced the convenient location of the hotel to local shops, restaurants and attractions. Belfast is a fantastic city and the hotel is a great base for visitors.

I hope these issues did not affect your overall view of the hotel and we would love to have the chance for you to stay again with ourselves where I am sure we can improve on your last stay. Should you wish to visit again, please contact me directly on conf3@eur.hastingshotels.com and I can ensure you will be looked after very well.

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't fault it at all. Quick visit but lovely. Staff very friendly. Lovely breakfast. Found the valet parking very useful even if there was extra charge for it. Staff were very helpful with any queries we had also

• Stayed September 2013
Dear min1212,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I will pass on your kind comments to our staff and concierge. Belfast is a wonderful city and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Europa Hotel on your next visit!

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We recently attended a wedding at this hotel and decided to stay over so that we could enjoy the evening without having to worry about getting home. Check in was efficient and our room, which was for 3 adults was beautiful. The room was big, with a writing desk and seating and the beds were huge. I was particularly impressed with the walk in shower and bath in the bathroom and the dressing gowns and slippers was a luxurious touch.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear SharonBarry633,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I hope you had an enjoyable day at the Wedding! I am also thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back at the Europa Hotel soon on your next visit to Belfast.