“Over priced and poor service”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
“Over priced and poor service”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I visited the bar area for two glasses of wine before my meal. I found the service poor - no wine menu when I asked for it? I was told red or white. That was it.
The price was highly over priced in comparison to other venues within the area.
I wouldn't rush back based on this short visit

2 Thank davidmartin6571
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear davidmartin6571,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your recent visit to the hotel. I am very disappointed to hear your visit did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate your comments regarding the service levels in one of our Bars. I have certainly brought this to the attention of our Bars Manager and I can assure you we are looking into this and monitoring their service levels.

We would love to have the opportunity for you to visit the hotel again. Please feel free to contact me on conf3@eur.hastingshotels.com for your next visit I will ensure you will be very well looked after.

Warmest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Myself and my partner have stayed at the Europa Hotel numerous times and always have a ball!!! the service is brilliant, very efficient!! the rooms are clean and spacious with a great view on either side of the hotel!!! sometimes great a great deal with them as they run special offers. We will definitely be back as its one of our favourite places to stay!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear kaitlyn1212,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback regarding your stays at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted to hear you continue to choose the Europa as your place to stay when visiting Belfast. Belfast is a fantastic city and we look forward to welcoming you both back to the Europa again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

£240 for one night in belfast I think is over priced , location perfect , hotel fantastic , but check in at 15pm and out at 11 am ... Other than that would stay again . Staff where very friendly and obliging .

• Stayed August 2013
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear oxfordirish,

Thank you for taking time to post such a positive comment regarding your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience the full service we at the Europa have to offer. Room rates at the hotel are seasonal and fluctuate accordingly. We do have some fantastic offers available on our website should you wish to stay again. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to our staff. I am delighted to hear you experienced the convenient location of the hotel to all your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Europa Hotel on your next visit to Belfast.

Brigstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Growing up in the 70s, studying the NI troubles at uni, and having a journalist friend who holed up in the 'hardboard' hotel, this was some where I wanted to stay for various reasons.
The staff at the hotel were brilliant. Top class concierge and reception.
The room (536) was good but the bathroom a bit tired with black mould round the shower, missing bits on the bath taps. I never understand why hotels don't deal with these relatively minor points which I always notice!
We booked through booking.com so paid £130 for two rooms, without breakfast - the latter was an extra £10 if you paid at reception.
Comfortable beds but waterproof under sheets which I always find make me hot!
Free wifi in public area. Used my BT open zone in room.
Positives- the location, reception and concierge staff and some of the Piano bar staff (Sunday lunchtime).
Negatives- no towels when we arrived and wanted a bath straight away. Given crisps with late night hot chocolate in the Piano bar on Saturday. Waitress informed me they couldn't offer me a biscuit! Irritating as there are yummy biscuits in the rooms and I'm sure she could have gone to housekeeping cupboard!
Breakfast was pretty good, good choice of food but apart from the front of house man, the staff were young and unmotivated. No juice glasses, Had to ask for coffee, not offered refill, and a tray of dirty dishes was next to us all the way through our breakfast.
In this hotel the good service is partially undone by the weakness of some of the less motivated members of staff.
Van Morrison is a regular at the hotel and I'm thinking of coming back in October so might give the hotel another go. I enjoyed my stay and loved the city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear mollychop,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding you recent stay at the Hotel. We appreciate all feedback to ensure we are meeting our customer’s expectations. I will pass on your kind comments to our Concierge and Reception Team.

In regards to the bathroom I can assure you the Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers are looking into this and we are monitoring our staff levels closely. I will certainly pass on your feedback to our Causerie Restaurant Manager regarding your experience of breakfast at the hotel.

Belfast is a fantastic city and I am delighted to hear you experienced the convenient location of the hotel to the city centre and attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Europa Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Me and my girlfriend (now fiancée) had booked to stay at the Europa a few months ago for the tenants vital festival. I then decided I would propose to her as we entered our room. When I informed the hotel of this the help and support I got was amazing and they upgraded my room immediately at no extra cost. I arrived at the hotel the day prior to my proposal plans with bunting and champagne so they could place it in our room and again they couldn't have been more willing and helpful. When we made our way to the bar and shared our good news with the bar staff we then received a free drink as a gift from a hotel which had already been more than good to us.
Proposal aside it is a fantastic hotel to stay in and in a very central area of Belfast. The staff our the most pleasant an helpful I have come across and I would just like to thank them for making our big moment so special.

1 Thank Braidsider
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Braidsider,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive comment regarding your recent stay at the Europa Hotel! Congratulations on your engagement! We are delighted to hear you had such a fabulous stay at the hotel. We certainly hope you have a great time planning your Wedding together. We look forward to welcoming you both back to the Europa Hotel very soon!

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed with the Europa for 2 nights with family as part of a wedding group. We arrived very late as reception was in a different venue. Our check in was excellent, Concierge spotted that we had 2 tired children and a few bags and was straight over to help us. Night receptionist very efficient, checked in and settled in our room very quickly. Booked interconnecting rooms and got rooms 911 and 915. Rooms were excellent, very spacious and spotlessly clean. A big thumbs up for the beds, very big and extremely comfortable.
Breakfast in the morning very high standard. Met by a very nice host that took the time to explain the breakfast service. All foods are self service and a very high standard. Loved the information booklet on the table, it explained where all the breakfast food was sourced from, all locally produced.
Had a few friends over for drinks on the second night, spent the evening in the upstairs bar. Again very comfortable surroundings and table service very good. It makes a big difference when a member of staff smiles at you and makes you feel at home.
I would definitely recommend the hotel and will be staying again before Christmas. A very enjoyable experience and lovely staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Brendan K,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive comment regarding your recent stay at the Europa Hotel! We are delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay . The Europa Hotel prides itself on providing the finest locally sourced ingredients. I will pass on your kind comments regarding breakfast to our Head Chef, Causerie Restaurant and Piano Lounge Team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back at the Europa Hotel for Christmas! There is a lovely atmosphere in the hotel at Christmas and look forward to seeing you soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This Hotel is very central easy walking distance of most attractions & site seeing. Staff very friendly and helpful. Excellent rooms. Met Charles Dance on my last visit. Rooms superb. Good Food. Situated next door to the Opera House & Good Irish Pubs opposite.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear paulsand186299,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay and experience the full service we at the Europa Hotel have to offer. I am delighted you experienced the convenience to all the local attractions from the hotel. We certainly hope to welcome you back to the Europa Hotel again soon.