“Good location, but not the cleanest” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Europa Hotel - Belfast

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
“Good location, but not the cleanest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 611 facing the city street.

The good: the location and short distance 5-10 minute walk to main strip of shops, city hall, restaurants and bars. Breakfast was decent.

The bad: you have to pay for Wi-Fi, noise factor as there is no air conditioning and have to leave the window open , bad lighting in the bathroom.

The ugly: elevators were a pain, we had sheets that had residual dirt from past visitors, towels stainedwith old blood our something unmentionable, our room was next to the elevator so noisey, and the room is right over the hotel sign so the bright lights came in on the top of the drapes.

We have heard other positive and very negative tales from people on our tour. definitely not a fabulous stay.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear sand1580,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate all feedback we receive to ensure we are meeting our customers expectations. I am sorry to hear you stay did not live up to your expectations.

We are currently unable to offer WiFi complimentary in the bedrooms, however we are delighted to offer this complimentary in all the public areas and lounges throughout the hotel. The room you had booked is in the older section of the building over 40 years ago which does not have air conditioning, however we do have larger rooms available to purchase which do feature air conditioning. I am disappointed to hear of the condition of the sheets and towels in your bedroom. I can assure you I have brought this up with our Housekeeping Manager to ensure this does not happen again and we are monitoring their service levels closely. I am sorry you did not receive the usual standard of service that we pride ourselves on at the hotel.

I appreciate you were disappointed with your overall stay and we would love to have the chance for you to visit and stay with ourselves again where I am confident we can improve on your last stay. Please contact me directly on conf3@eur.hastingshotels.com should you wish to visit Belfast again and I can ensure you will be very well looked after. We look forward to seeing you again.

Warmest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
warrenpoint
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in an executive room. Check in staff were very pleasant, Andrew and Linda looked after us very well. They both made us feel very welcome.
The room was really lovely, very clean with a brilliant bathroom and view of Belfast. The bed was so big and very comfortable.
There was music in the lobby bar and we enjoyed the atmosphere. I had a few cocktails made by Andrew in the Piano Bar which were lovely, especially the grapefruit one which Andrew recommended.
The breakfast was excellent on both mornings, a great selection of Northern Ireland produce and plenty of it. Personally I love the muesli which is delicious and the Guinness malt bread. The staff in the Europa are all very friendly and go the extra mile to make your visit most enjoyable. The Europa Hotel is very central and a good base for walking around Belfast and close to the historic pubs, Robinsons and The Crown across the road.
It is also beside the bus station so you can easily make your way around. There was a Belfast Tour Bus outside the Europa, we did not go on it as we had done it before.
Thank you to the Europa, we look forward to returning again sometime

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shelly-ann
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear shelly-ann,

Thank you for taking your time to post such positive feedback about your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay and were able to experience the full service of what the Europa Hotel has to offer. I will pass on your kind comments to Andrew and Linda in our Reception Team and to Andrew in the Lobby Bar. Hastings Hotels prides itself on using the finest locally sourced ingredients and our Head Chef will be thrilled to hear of your kind feedback regarding the breakfasts.

We hope to welcome you back to the Europa Hotel again very soon.

Derry City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Have stayed in the Europa a few times before and once again it didn't disappoint.
The staff are lovely and friendly and very helpful. They have no problem accommodating your dietary needs. Great central location. Will definitely be back !!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear LHann13,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive comment regarding you recent stay at the Europa Hotel. We are delighted you have chosen to return to us and that once again you had a wonderful stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Europa Hotel again on your next visit!

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

My daughter and I visited Belfast briefly after a trip to Dublin. Our entire trip had a historical bent, and the history behind Europa helped emphasize this.

Our beds were comfortable and the shower was awesome. I added the rubber duck to my collection. The room seemed small until my daughter pointed out that we had added a suitcase at our last destination, and our room had three chairs and a desk.

We both enjoyed the breakfast buffet. My favorite breakfast is poached eggs on buttered brown bread. The servers were more than happy to help me slip those slippery eggs onto my bread. Kudos!

Kudos also to the concierge whose name escapes me. He arranged for a black taxi tour, which was perfect. He also aided me when my credit card went missing.

I have always felt that if you hire quality people who love what they do, then get out of their way and let them work, you will have a successful business. This was reflected in the service we received during our stay. I look forward to returning for a longer visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear justteach,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted to hear you had an excellent stay and were able to experience the full service we at the Europa Hotel have to offer. I will pass on your kind comments to both our Head Chef and to our Concierge Team.

Belfast is a fantastic city and we hope to welcome you back at the Europa Hotel again soon!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had booked a one night stay here as part of a tour of Ireland (Southern and Northern) I had been really looking forward to staying in the Europa. When we had made the booking we specifically requested 2 rooms next to each other as my husband and I were travelling with our three daughters. As we checked in we were given two rooms that weren't even on the same floor, let alone next to each other. When we complained the staff on reception said if we wanted a room on the same floor my husband and I would have to have the room for disabled visitors. There was no hint of an apology. The rooms were furnished to a very high standard and the room the girls were in was very large and spacious. Our bathroom however had no bath and I felt as though I was in a bathroom in a private hospital!

We went down to dinner at 9 o'clock. The food was mediocre, I ordered the Thai vegetarian curry and it had just been slopped into the dish, to the extent that the waitress spilled in on the table as she delivered it to me. As we were finishing our main course some of the waiting staff began getting their bags etc. from a cupboard obviously wanting to go home.

Breakfast the next morning was also a disappointment, in fact we had to ask for fresh eggs to be poached as the ones my husband had on his plate were inedible.

I found most of the staff we came into contact with were unfriendly, I think for the price charged it was poor value for money. We won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ABIGAIL1970
Dear ABAGAIL1970,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay at the hotel. I am very disappointed to hear your recent stay did not meet your expectations. I appreciate you were disappointed your request of having rooms next to each other was not met. We take into consideration and will do our best to meet all guests requests during their stay, however we cannot guarantee that all requests can be met. Due to the high occupancy of the hotel on this occasion, to do our best and ensure your rooms were close, the fully accessible room was the best option to meet your requirements. I have brought your feedback to our Reception Manager and I can assure you we are monitoring their service levels very closely.

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed during your dinner and breakfast. This is an issue I have raised with our Restaurant and Head Chef for review. I understand you were disappointed with your stay at the hotel. We would love you to have the chance to stay again where I am sure we can improve on your last visit. Should you wish to book again, please feel free to contact me directly on conf3@eur.hastingshotels.com and I will ensure you will be very well looked after.

Long Island, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Well, after the long flight, we were sort of tired, so having a room where you literally did not have to budge to reach anything was kind of convenient, at first. After a little while, with my friend and I sharing the room, it got a little, uh, shall I say c-l-o-s-e. The bathroom is quite different from American bathrooms and takes a while to figure out; it is also the size of a broom closet. There is no air conditioning at this hotel, so the windows have to be open (we were there in July) and that means you will hear the drunks from across the street all night long. Luckily we were only there 2 nights. Belfast is a small and pretty city, but this hotel is quite dreary looking from the outside. It is knows as the most bombed hotel in Belfast. I guess all that patching up took its toll. The food was no different than the rest of Belfast, rather awful. Don't expect anything near gourmet, and they ruin lamb. And one mystery I couldn't figure out - they are very miserly with towels and washcloths. We just got one of each for the two of us. When I asked for more the first night we got more outside our door, but the next day, after our room was made up there we were again with just one towel and one washcloth.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear susmug,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate all feedback as it allows us to ensure we are meeting our customers expectations. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I am sorry you felt that your bedroom was not up to standard, however the bedroom type was one of our Classic Bedrooms which is part of the original hotel built over 40 years ago. We do have other rooms available to purchase which are larger and feature air conditioning. I apologise that your towels were not replenished the second day to your requirements. I have passed this feedback on to the Housekeeping manager to ensure this does not occur again. I will pass on your comments regarding the food and beverage to our Head Chef for review.

I certainly hope these issues did not affect your overall view of the hotel. We would love you to have the chance to stay again where I am sure we can improve on your last stay. Should you wish to book again, please feel free to contact me on conf3@eur.hastingshotels.com and I will ensure you will be very well looked after.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have stayed in the Europa a few times and it never disappoints. The location is excellent with the train station nearby and the option of valet parking (excellent service). The rooms are extremely comfortable and very clean. The staff are pleasant and helpful but to be honest the rooms are so nice I've never needed to request anything extra.

It is a city centre hotel so there's no spa or swimming pool. It's a five minute walk to City Hall and five minutes the other way if you want to head up to the University area.

I've stayed in this hotel on a couple's trip and on business and it was suitable for both.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Debbie M,

Thank you for taking time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. It is greatly appreciated as we aim to ensure we are meeting our customers expectations. I am delighted you had the opportunity to return to the Europa and were able to experience the convenience to the city and the full service we have to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Europa Hotel soon.