“Great location - noisy room!”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location - noisy room!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hotel lobby really nice - good customer service. Our room over looked the front onto the road. We went to the bar and listened to the most amazing man playing the piano - I could have stayed there all night - it was just beautiful.

I treated myself to a white Russian seeing as we were on hols - it was absolutely sublime - I haven't tasted as good since! So I ordered a second and what I can only describe as something akin to a tumbler of milk was delivered to our table. The same cocktail - chalk and cheese!!! Definitely made by another less competent barman/woman - I sent it back and was met by a moody response from the waitress. I watched as the mixture was poured from the water tumbler into a more suitable cocktail glass!! Serious lack of consistency there - such a shame - id love to shake the barman/womans hand who made the first one, they should take a bow at a fantastic job!! My main disappointment other than this was the noise. Our room had an adjoining door to another room (my pet hate) and we could hear laughing and talking quite clearly from the adjoining room - no problem - our room was nice and clean and had a sort of sitting room next to bedroom so I thought i'd sleep ok.

The quality of the walls in the hotel between the rooms must be poor as we were kept wide awake by the "extra curricular" activities of the couple in the room on the other side of our bedroom. Grand for an hour or so but It was shocking - we could hear everything - fair play to their stamina as this unbelievably went on from 11pm till around 3pm. Not really the type of thing you want to hear repeatedly for 4 hours. Their bed was obviously backed onto ours. Not the kind of thing I wanted to ring down to reception to complain about either. So poor sleep all round unfortunately.

Breakfast was nice. Overall I found this hotel average - I wouldn't be running back.

Room Tip: Go listen to the Piano man in the bar if you are there on a Saturday
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
NORTH WEST ENGLAND
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Just a quick note to say that I had the pleasure to stay at the Arno Suite on 11th July for the second time in two weeks.
The Europa is always excellent. Food continues to be first class. Obviously the location and the history sell the Europa, but the staff go the extra mile and ensure that every visit is just as enjoyable as the last!

Hope to return to the Europa soon!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear AS1690,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so pleased you had a wonderful stay with ourselves and received the full service the Hotel has to offer. I have passed on your great feedback to our staff members and we look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit.

Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Possibly one of the best hotels in Belfast. Right in front of the "rockin" Crown bar and grill which serves some of the best Cod in all of Northern Ireland. The rooms were clean, the bed was firm and the shower was hot. Our staf was pleasant except for the noise that could be heard from several bars across the street that were frequented by young people. But, that all shut down at 11:00 a.m. and the hotel itself was very quiet. We did not mind the noise from the fifth floor of the hotel. It was nice to see young people so full of vim, vigor and vitality. Go. You will like this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Buckeyesandi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with ourselves and I have passed on your great comments to our staff members. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

my wife and I stayed in the Europa for one night on a room only basis. reception was excellent, quick check in. room was excellent, shower something else! while it's not cheap it's very central so no need for taxis to get in to town. parking is also very convenient at either of the two car parks available. all in all a great night was had in Belfast!

Room Tip: ask for a room at the front of the hotel on a higher floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear darren ,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so delighted you enjoyed your visit and received the full service the Europa Hotel has to offer. I passed all of your very kind comments to our staff members especially our Reception Team. We would love to have you return to the Europa again and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed with a friend at the Europa for one night this past weekend. The hotel in and of itself is very nice. The rooms are very big, with luxuriously comfortable beds, a large bathroom with a great shower, and many in-room amenities including bottled water, bathrobes and slippers.

I am not normally one who makes a big deal about things at hotels that go wrong - it happens. The AC in our room wasn't working and it was quite hot and stuffy. We waited for 40 minutes for someone to come up and when he did we got nothing but attitude, excuses and arguments. While we were expecting a handyman of some sort what we got was Jonathan the concierge - perhaps this wasn't his job and that was a reason for the rudeness and condescension - doesn't make it right.

Not only did he lie about the AC working, he stopped just short of calling me and my friend stupid because we didn't realize it. (And BTW, the AC indeed WAS NOT working. Upon returning to our room hours later, it was still stifling hot. I realize that concierge is not an easy job. But I am not a hard person to get along with and am definitely not someone who makes ridiculous demands of a hotel's concierge. All the other concierges that we encountered during our stay were friendly and helpful.

However, Hannah, who worked the reception desk was just lovely. She basically took over as our concierge - getting us checked into a new room with working AC, making a dinner reservation for us, etc. She was working very, very hard and yet still always had a smile on her face. She should be commended for her professionalism.

The included breakfast was enormous and the service at the restaurant was quite good.

I would rate this hotel higher were it not for our experience with the conceirge.

Room Tip: be aware that only the executive rooms have air conditioning. usually not a concern for Belfast, bu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank euromerp
Dear euromerp,

Thank you for taking the time posting your review of the Europa Hotel. I am very disappointed to hear of the level of service you received while staying at the Hotel. I would like to apologise and I can assure you we are looking into this. I am delighted that Hannah provided you with the full service the Europa has to offer and I have passed on your kind words. I appreciate you where disappointed with our overall stay with ourselves, and we would love to be given the chance for you to stay again with ourselves where I am confident we can improve on your last stay. Should you wish to stay again with ourselves please contact me directly on conf@eur.hastingshotels.com. We hope to be seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards.
Co Down
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We would stay here at least two times a year. It is so centrally located to all the amenities of Belfast. The rooms are large and very clean . The 1st floor lounge is a great place to start an evening , end an evening or just even stay the whole evening . The staff are all so friendly . You get a great breakfast to set you up for the days activities. The Crown Bar straight across the strret is also with a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room mat the rear if you want a quiet night as the main thorough-fair can be noisey, espec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gavin F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on your recent stay at the Europa. I am so pleased you had a wonderful stay with ourselves and received the full service the Europa has to offer. Belfast is such a fantastic City and we look forward to having you again.

Kind Regards.
Queensland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

When we read that this hotel had a reputation for explosions, we were a bit concerned. No need to worry - this was the best hotel we stayed in over our entire trip. Service excellent, little bath duck a lovely touch. Walk in shower, plumbing that worked, EXCELLENT restaurant . I had a birthday dinner there and the whole experience was excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EnjoylifeQueensland,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves and received the full service the Europa has to offer. I have passed on your fantastic feedback to our staff. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.