“My Top Hotel Choice For Belfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Europa Hotel - Belfast

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Boston
“My Top Hotel Choice For Belfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Europa is a well-situated luxury hotel in the heart of the city of Belfast, fast becoming one of the top destinations in Europe. The service, decor, accommodation, amenities (gotta love the Hastings rubber duckie in the bathroom!), and full English breakfast are absolutely perfect! Every staff person that we encountered was polite and helpful. We arrived over two bank holidays and the Easter weekend and the front desk quickly offered to exchange money for us. We were prepared, but it was incredibly thoughtful of them to offer. The Piano Bar is a lovely respite after a long day; good drinks and view.

The historic Crown Liquor Saloon is directly across the street; an absolute must-see in Belfast with excellent pub food and a dining room upstairs if you decide not to dine at the Hotel. (Although given the quality of the breakfast, I imagine that the Hotel's dinner is excellent!) Robinson's Fibber Magee's is also directly across the street for music. Other well-known Belfast pubs are a little further away, but if walking doesn't appeal, taxis are quite reasonable. The Concierge at the Hotel couldn't have been nicer! There is also a Hop-on Bus. We didn't use it, but the route covers everything. There is so much to do in Belfast; The Historic Pub Crawl, Opera House, the Ulster Museum, Botanical Gardens, Ulster Folk Museum (Holywood), City Hall, Queens University, the informative and heart-wrenching Political Murals Black Taxi Tours (We've taken the tour twice), and the year-old Titantic Experience Exhibit, located in the waterfront area where the Titantic was launched. A rented car or regional train (the station is located right behind the Hotel in the Mall) can take you north through Antrim to Derry - or - south through Holywood. The express train from Dublin arrives at another train station (Belfast Central), so if you arrive from Dublin, you will need to catch a quick bus or taxi to the Hotel. While "location" is everything, I must get back to the Hotel. I have had the pleasure of staying at the Europa twice (2008 and 2013) and each time I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. This is quite a historic hotel with fantastic service without being pretentious, clean and comfortable rooms, convenient location, and every time I've booked directly with the Hotel on-line, an excellent value for the quality. Do not hesitate to see Belfast and to book at the Europa!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DHG
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear DHG,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves and received the full service the Europa has to offer. I have passed on your brilliant feedback to our staff members. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Ire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Firstly the hotel is in a great location - walking distance to centre of Belfast City. Room was compact but really nice - bed was huge so thumbs up for that! Very comfortable. Love a place that offers good tea & coffee facilities in the room without having to order it from reception. Lovely bathroom with separate shower unit and bath. Had issues with our room cards though - when mine worked, my colleague's didn't and vice-versa. We were at a conference so not always together so meant going up and down several times to get activated and re-activated. This happened several times over the course of the two days. Breakfast was buffet style and standard options available - hot counter of sausages, rashers, puddings, eggs, potato farls, etc. and cold counter of fruits & yoghurt and fruit juices. Self Toasting facilities etc. Just getting tables cleared was a bit chaotic and it seemed more a problem of being understaffed than lack of staff attention. Due to some of the chaos, there were a few dropped cups which smashed and cutlery falling etc. Staff were a bit overwhelmed with orders of tea and coffee. It was more of a necessity eating here than a pleasant experience. Street noise from the bedrooms is a bit of an issue but you are in the heart of a vibrant city so it is to be expected!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank IreMuse_27
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear IreMuse_27,

Thank you for posting your comments on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay with ourselves. I appreciate your feedback and we continually strive to improve our service levels. I have taken your comments on board regarding our staff and I can assure you we monitoring their service levels closely. I hope these issues did not affect your overall opinion of the Europa Hotel and we would love to have your return where I am confident we can improve on your last visit. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Claremorris Mayo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed on business in the Europa Hotel. Service was very good. I arrived and handed over the car keys for the porter to park the car and didnt have to worry about it until I left which was great, there was a charge for this-not sure if the porter didnt park the car if I would have to pay?
The room was excellent, newly decorated-I didnt eat in the restaurant as I was dining out with colleagues but if I was there for a fun weekend I would definitely give it a try. Breakfast was busy in the morning but the service was still good, I only had the cold buffet but some others had the cooked breakfast and seemed to be ok. Will return again to Belfast soon as I want to do the Titanic Museum and although it isnt that far from home we will stay at the Europa.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mary B,

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

For a I or 2 night stay in Belfast pay the extra and stay at the Europa Hotel. Easy to get to by train or bus from either airport as the combined station is next door to the hotel. The hotel is beautifully presented, the reception and restaurant area is first class as are the rooms which are very modern and comfortable. The lobby bar and upstairs piano bar are great places for a drink with relaxed atmospheres and friendly staff. The location is also spot on as it is a short walk into the shopping areas and The Crown Pub and Robinson's Pub are directly opposite and both are worth a visit, especially The Crown for a pint of the black stuff. Pay the extra £10 each for the breakfast as it is well worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front for a view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gary M,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so pleased you had a wonderful stay with ourselves and received the full service the Hotel has to offer. I have passed on your great feedback to our staff members and we look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit.

ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great location and good staff. Restaurant is geared at the pre theatre market and is just average but outstanding breakfast. Rooms modern, very clean and very comfortable. Night time entertainment is for an older crowd but the up stairs piano bar is excellent for just a relaxing drink and great to get a window seat and people watch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pksand1,

Thank you sharing your review on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves. I have passed your great comments on to our staff members. We would love to have stay again ourselves at the Europa and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Newry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

From arrival to departure you felt like a welcome guest. Helpful staff and easy check in. Excellent meal at a large function followed by a restful night. Breakfast first class, freshly prepared and loads of choice, plenty of healthy options and the traditional Ulster all available in a relaxed atmosphere. Definitely worth another visit.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank NewryPaul86
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in the Europa Hotel @ 10 years ago and it was extremely disappointing to say the least.
I then stayed a few weeks and wow - what a change. All very pleasant staff, smiling, helpful, understanding. It was our wedding anniversary and we even got a complimentary room upgrade to an executive room! But besides this I must say I felt extremely proud when I see the standard of this hotel which (like all businesses) is now competing in a world marketplace.

All I can say is well done, keep up the smiling, friendliness and good work . . . you are world-beaters!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Campbell M
Dear Campbell M,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves and got given the full service the Europa has to offer. I have passed on your fantastic feedback to our staff. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.