“very dissappointing stay”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We arrived on the 9th of Feb 2013 for a one night stay and from the moment we arrived there appeared to be a large group in residence who were permanently noisy, boisterious and very drunk and making a nuisance of themselves all over the hotel.After we had settled into our room which was very comfortable and spacious we decided to go for a drink but avoided the hotel bar and went out for a drink and dinner, on our return we thought about a nightcap but decided to give the bar a miss. Having stayed previously in the europa we were looking forward to breakfast but were sent to the bar area for breakfast where the few staff that were on duty seemed to be overwhelmed and we had to fetch our own coffee(which was at best lukewarm)clear our table and queue for quite a while for the cooked breakfast.The hotel appeared unable to cope and we certainly will not be returning as we were left very dissappointed

Room Tip: dont go in busy periods
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear airmilesLondonderry,

Thank you for providing your feedback from your recent stay with ourselves. I am disappointed your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would like to apologise for the level of noise that was in the Hotel during you stay. We had numerous members of staff managing the large event and I can assure you we where dealing with the issue. My apologies that the service during your breakfast unacceptable, I have taken this up with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure we continue to strive to provide the most efficient and highest quality standard of service. I appreciate you where disappointed with your overall stay and we would love to have the chance for you to visit and stay with ourselves again where I am confident we can improve on your last stay.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (4,535)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the the Europa on Friday 22nd Feb. I can say that we found the staff all very pleasant but one person stood out above the rest Hugh (Concierge)! We have both stayed here several times and have found that he always greets everyone with a welcome smile! Nothing is too much for him! What a lovely guy to welcome people into your hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear AnneF878,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so pleased you had a wonderful stay with ourselves and received the full service the Hotel has to offer. I have passed on your great feedback to our staff members especially Hugh and we look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My mother and sister stayed in Feb when Ethan Carter was in concert at the hotel.Their superior twin/double was 'Baltic'!!!!!!! They tried to adjust the heating but gave up. Their time spent in the room meant they had to keep their coat and scarves on the entire time!! Dinner proved to be a disaster also. Five were booked for dinner, three meals came out on time but half an hour later the remaining two were nowhere to be seen.After bringing this to their attention they apologized and said they must have forgotten!!! LOL!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear myra_grier,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am very disappointed to hear of your issues that arose during your stay. I would like to apologise that the heating in your room was not correct. This is an issue I have risen with our Maintenance Manager to ensure this never happens again. I would also like to apologise for the service you received in our Restaurant, this is no way acceptable and I have taken this up with our Restaurant Manager and I can assure you we our monitoring their service levels very closely. I appreciate you where disappointed with your overall stay and we would love to have the chance for you to visit and stay with ourselves again where I am confident we can improve on your last stay. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Lovely Hotel, friendly and helpful staff. The room was really comfortable and I would definately stay again. I didnt dine at the hotel in the evening as there are some lovely bars and restauruants in the area, the breakfast was nice though. Central location right in the heart of everything..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Corinne P,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so pleased you had a wonderful stay with ourselves and received the full service the Hotel has to offer. I have passed on your great feedback to our staff members and we look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Travelling for business with a colleague, we were both in agreement of our opinion for this hotel.

Firstly, I'd like to stress that there is nothing incredibly wrong with this hotel. However, there are some cracks in the facade (pun intended!). Europa Hotel used to be grand, for sure, but has been unable to capitalise on either the old charm or a complete regeneration. As a result, it mosty appears run down.

My main gripe, however, is the staff. At no point did we feel like guests (and after years of working in decidedly unfriendly locations, I don't expect much). Overall, they seemed bored and quite resentful when we showed up in our suits. Not sure if we're the typical customers, but you do expect a certain level of politeness.

I suspect that this hotel's 4-star rating is a nod to the past. It's not awful, and it was perfectly clean - but only book if you can get a good deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Beth J,

Thank you taking the time to post your recent review of your stay at the Europa Hotel. I am disappointed your stay did not live up to your expectations. I apologise for the level of service you felt you received from our staff and I can assure you we have brought this issue with the appropriate managers. I can assure you we are monitoring their service levels very closely. I appreciate you where disappointed with your overall stay and we would love to have the chance for you to visit and stay with ourselves again where I am confident we can improve on your last stay.

We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The restaurant in the Europa is lovely looking an the service was excellent. The food was good but that was it! There ad many other far better restaurants in the area and although I would stay a the hotel again I would not be eating again in the restaurant, it was fine, but not as good as restaurants near by.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Louise C,

Thank you taking the time to post your recent review of your stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall visit with ourselves. My apologies that the quality of the food you received was not up to your expectations, and I have taken this up with our Head Chef. We are continually striving to improve our service and appreciate your feedback. We would love to have you return to ourselves, where I am confident we can improve on your last experience. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am a return guest to the Europa having already written several comments. This comment relates to my last stay in December '12.

The issues I raised with the front desk staff being poor has actually occurred again. This time it was obvious that the problems I encounter at the front desk seems to be originating from the 1 staff member with blonde hair. The same person from before.

On check in again I was met by anything but a warm welcoming smile, I genuinely thought there was some type of problem. However when someone else walked past the desk that she recognised the Ice cold exterior thawed long enough for her to crack a smile and a big hello was given. When that person had passed the icey mist decended again and I really was going to pull her up and make a scene but as I was on a holiday I didn't want to get into an argument.

Europa Hotel I need you to listen for a minute to me, I travel all around the world on business and for pleasure and I can't stress this enough....your front desk staff that greet incoming desks have got to get their act together. As a customer service respresentive and the FACE of the hotel these are the people that can make or breaks and guests stay. Its honestly the last time I let that blonde lady treat me so poorly. I have one more chance for the Europa as I actually like the hotel but right now I'm finding it hard to recommend again as why should a paying guest be treated like an inconvience when checking in.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Seanie_pc

Dear Seanie_pc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am very disappointed to hear of your recent experience upon checking in at the Europa Hotel. I would like to apologise for the level of service you received on your returning visit to the Hotel. I can assure you I have taken this issue up with the appropriate member of staff and we are continually monitoring their service levels. I hope this issue did not affect your overall stay and we would love to have you return to ourselves.

We hope to be seeing you again soon.