“Very pleasant stay in Belfast.”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed October 28, 2012

As I live near Belfast I rarely stay in the City, but as my partner and I were going to a function we decided to stay. We booked The Europa and duly checked in on a sunny Friday afternoon. The manager James McGinn was working in the foyer as we arrived and took the time to meet and greet us. The hotel concierge took care of our car and it was parked at the nearby McCausland facility. We had a very nice evening with an excellent good sized room. Breakfast was a busy but we were well looked after. The day was spent in Belfast and we returned to the hotel mid afternoon to find our car at the front door with our luggage on board. Two excellent concierges ( with a sense of humour ) looked after us really well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barryabsLisburn
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear barryabsLisburn,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves and received the full service the Europa has to offer. I have passed on your brilliant feedback to our staff members and especially Mr.McGinn and our Concierge Team . We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa.

We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Europa Hotel is possibly one of the best hotels in Belfast. It is home to some of the most important conferences and events hosted in Belfast and has hosted a number of personalities through its, and the city’s, turbulent times. Today, Belfast is safe and vibrant.

I was at the hotel for an international conference on tourism and events in June, 2012. I opted to stay there as the conference was taking place at the hotel, and given the rates I found it affordable and comfortable.

I arrived late at night, and had to search myself to find the receptionist. However, I finely checked in and went to find my cosy room. I was there during possibly one of the worst two days in June for years, weather concerned. That is according to the locals! So the added value of staying at the same hotel where my conference was, actually increased.

My only ‘negative’ concern related to wife which was unavailable in the rooms except for the last night. But it was not much about the hotel as it was the external BT service. WIFI was still available in the bar though and conference rooms.

Breakfast was fine, and so was lunch and the food at the gala dinner. Room came with a lovely rain shower and had a lovely kettle for some hot tea after a wet yet great visit at the ‘new’ Titanic Experience. I also opted not to have my room done yet always found some clean laundry outside my door.

The hotel is extremely central and just 5 minutes away from the main streets and town hall

Room Tip: Had a basic room and was just fine!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear nokkla,

Thank you sharing your review on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with ourselves. I have passed your great comments on to our staff members.We are unfortunately currently unable to offer Wi-Fi in our Bedrooms on a complimentary basis, this is an issue I have currently passed to our managers for review. I hope this issue did not affect your overall stay. Belfast is such a fantastic City and we would love to have you return to ourselves. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is right in the heart of the city, next door to the bus station (regular buses from the airport to here) or only a 10 - 15 minute taxi ride from City airport for about 11 pounds (depending on traffic).

The hotel staff are very nice and helpful on arrival. The foyer area is really very nice, with lots of space and a feeling of luxury. The room I had, whilst small, was very nice. The bed was excellent, really really comfy (and I am very fussy about beds) which led to a great nights sleep. The shower is probably the best shower I have had in a hotel, very powerful!

I did not take an evening meal in the hotel. The breakfast was the only disappointment, a buffet style breakfast. I think some of the food had been hanging around for a while (hence why I don't rate this hotel is excellent). It is not hard to get bacon and eggs right, but they seemed to make it hard for themselves, for what ever reason. The food was OK, just not at the level of quality one would expect for a hotel of this standard.

1  Thank yorktraveller_8

Dear yorktraveller_8,

Thank you taking the time to post your recent review of your stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay with ourselves. My apologies on the quality of the breakfast you received, I have taken this up with our Head Chef to ensure this does not happen again. I hope this issue did not affect your overall stay. Belfast is such a fantastic City and we would love to have you return to ourselves. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Review based on a Thursday night stay in a standard room located on the fifth floor to rear of hotel.

Best points:-
Location - close to transport links, restaurants and night life;
Reception - professional, friendly, courteous and informative;
Shower - the best 'power shower' experienced to date.

Worst points:-
Bed - although soft and comfy, you would need a 'grapple and hook' to keep from slipping to the centre of the bed;
Room - one of the smallest experienced to date;
Bathroom - very small with no hand towels and hair in plughole;
Temperature - hard to regulate due to do no air-conditioning;
Soundproofing -  heard music from downstairs until 1am, then vocal neighbours from 1am-2am (not a courting couple).
Maid - awoken at 8am by maid who wished to clean room.

In conclusion, although on initial inspection a nice hotel, found too many faults to make this a 'must see again' hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Croftlyn

Dear Croftlyn,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of your stay at the Europa Hotel. I am very glad you received a warm welcome by our staff upon arrival. I am disappointed your room type did not live up to your expectations. The room you selected was our Classic Bedroom, which is the smallest of our room types having been part of the original Hotel which was built over 40 years ago. We do have larger bedroom types available to purchase. My apologies for the level of noise your room also received during your stay -this is an issue we are currently looking in to. I would like to apologise that our House Keeping Staff interrupted you so early in the morning. This is an issue I have taken up with our House Keeping Manager to ensure this does not happen again. I appreciate you where disappointed with your overall stay and we would love to have the chance for you to visit and stay with ourselves again where I am confident we can improve on your last stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here in July this year with my husband and brother in law and sister in law. Totally in awe from the moment we arrived. Receptiion staff so nice on check in. Had executive bedrooms on 9th floor. Very spacious room and the bed was so comfortable. Foyer area fabulous with plenty of luxurious sofas and gas fire. Had lunch in upstairs piano bar and music playing while enjoying our lunch. Jazz in downstairs bar on Saturday afternoon - such a treat. Had lovely dinner in restaurant and staff were so courteous and friendly. In the evening great band in the lounge and had some lovely cocktails. Before retiring to bed went up to piano bar and lovely relaxing piano music with fabulous views of Belfast. Breakfast again had lots to offer including a chef on hand if you wanted an omelette also porridge available. On checking out again the reception staff so polite and friendly.The Europa is so close to centre for shopping and not far from the City Hall. Will definitely be going back before Christmas. Can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views over Belfast. Executive rooms are to the side of the hotel for a qui...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear arumlily28,

Thank you so much for posting such a brilliant comment on your recent visit to the Europa Hotel. I am so delighted you got to experience the full our Reception Team. We would love to have you return to the Europa and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Location is very good - right in the middle of the City. Room was small but well equipped. Great shower - torrents of water if that's what you like (I do). The room's highlight was the bed though - really comfortable mattress and fantastic linen. Really top quality - only the best Geese/Ducks gave their lives for the pillow and quilt filling.

Didn't eat there, but the staff have the professional friendliness that you expect from a five-star.

Valet parking is offered - very good but not cheap.

Overall - great hotel in the centre; rooms slightly small but bed makes up for it...

Dear Nicholasfinlay,

Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with ourselves. Belfast is such a fantastic City! We would love to have you stay again at the Europa and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I book travel for the Company I work for in the United States. We had three employees travel to Belfast to meet with a client, and the client suggested that they stay at the Europa.

Everything was going smoothly until I called to request an early check in. After several unanswered emails, I called the hotel and requested an early check in. They stated that the only way to do this would be to book for the night before. I reiterated that our employees would be getting at 9:30am after a long day of travel and need their rooms for a nap before meeting with clients. The lady I spoke to on the phone verified that she understood, and that everything would be taken care of.

Monday morning I get into work and discover that the hotel "lost" our employees reservations and had no room for them on Sunday morning when they got in. The employees finally found a room for our employees to stay in, but since they lost their reservations they now made our employees pay with their own credit cards for their rooms, even though I had already sent over a credit card authorization form. If they had lost the reservations, and needed our travel card to re-verify, why didn't they just pull the info from there? One of our employees said that the staff at the front desk was unwilling to help them.

I called the hotel to see what the trouble was, and they told me that because our employees didn't show up on Saturday night, they gave away their rooms. When I asked why I was told that this was the best way to secure an early check in when they have that policy, they said that they didn't know. I did receive an apology email from the hotel manager, and they so graciously agreed to refund us for the night that they refused to give our employees their rooms. When I asked if they hotel staff had offered them an apology for the mistake or if they gave them any kind of incentive to go back, our employees said that the staff never even acknowledged their mistake. Needless to say, I am never booking anyone here again!

This hotel also charges for internet access.

3  Thank eawright1659