“Luxurious Stay”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I stayed at The Europa in Nov last year & it was such an honour to stay in a hotel which is so iconic,, loved every minute of it, our room was beautiful & the bathroom was so luxurious! The food was delicious at dinner & breakfast, a proper ulster fry, recently found out the hotel was 40yrs old on my 40th birthday too, 8th July 2011! Unbelievable! I missed out on the 40 winks deal, but I will definatley stay again sometime

• Stayed: November 2011
carrolll, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

It is fantastic to hear of your wonderful experience in the hotel in November. It is delighful to hear that we were able to excel in every area from the bedroom to the breakfast right through to the dinner.
Thank you very much again and contact the hotel directly and we will get you the bast deal on offer.

There are newer reviews for Europa Hotel - Belfast

Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed over a weekend in the middle of December.

Pros:
Location is great; it is right next to the bus depot in the city center. Normally this might be a turn off for people, but as it rains so much here it's great to be so close to reasonably-priced transport to the airport. For people arriving by train, the train station is about a 10 to 15 minute walk away on the other side of the city center. It should be noted that the city center in Belfast is quite compact, so any city center location is likely convenient.
Breakfast is plentiful, diverse, and of a high standard.
Staff are very friendly.
Cons:
Rooms are tiny and a bit dated.
The hotel in general is loud; it seems to be geared towards guests there to seriously party (at least on the weekends). I'd request a room on a high floor and away from the elevators, but I don't know how much that would help those seeking quiet on the weekends.
Some things are a bit off - I requested wake up calls both days I stayed; the first morning worked great; the second morning, the call came over 30 minutes late.
Another tip: The tourist info center is just a few minutes walk away by city hall; I'd suggest going there to book any tours/research destination information as opposed to using the concierge at the hotel; I booked a tour that cost 25 pounds through the hotel that I later found out cost 16 pounds through the TI. I understand there will be a markup in using the hotel, but the concierge didn't have nearly the information or options as the TI. The concierge also told me the wrong time for tours at city hall, which really is a highlight of Belfast.

Room Tip: If you require quiet, make sure you say so upon check-in to get a better room location.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank KPfeff

Dear KPfeff,

Thank you for leaving a review on tripadvisor and providing us with such detailed analysis.
I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly providing the best in Irish Hospitality(making up for the weather) and also about our high standard of breakfast offering available.
Thank you for mentioning our prime location coupled with the fact that you visited us during the peak Christmas Party Season in the Centre of Belfast, like any other city centre hotel, the noise has been greater than at any other time of the year.
May I suggest as you mention the size and the noise of the room, I would suggest not booking the smallest room type available and opting for our executive rooms which are much more spacious and also at the back of the hotel where it would be peaceful. I have also invesitgated your remarks on the concierge service. This £16 offer was a very special rate agreed between the tour company and the TI only not in conjunction with any hotel. I have also checked on the City Hall times, these are the times that were provided on the city hall website and would have been checked directly with the website at the time.
All in all I thank you for your feedback and certainly your remarks have been taken on board.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

Attended a work christmas dinner, and was really looking forward to a lovely meal but was very disappointed. The service and staff were nice and polite it was just the food.
The starter: The soup was average but flavourless (needed much seasoning) but you only got 1 roll.
The main courses: the steak was dry and over cooked as were the brussel sprouts. My girlfriend had turkey and ham which was also dry as if it sat under a heat lamp for a long time. Although i got a steak, i wasnt given a steak knife (no-one was) ended up having to ask for one. The staff started clearing the table before we had finished eating which was really off putting.

I was very disappointed with the overall experience. Do not intend to return.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank wooger87
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Hi Ricky000,

Thank you for posting your review from your attendance of our Christmas Party Night. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the service our staff provided for yourself and your girlfriend. I would like to apologise that the quality you feel you received was not up to your standard. I have addressed this with our Head Chef and his team on this issue and we would love to have you return to experience the full-service the Europa has to offer.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

lovely hotel with warm attentive staff central location and rooms were lovely with bathrooms well stocked,we just ate breakfast which was plentiful buffet style.would recommend for concerts theatre shopping or weekend away.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2011

My mother and i decided to avail of one of the fabulous offers that the Europa were offering coming up to xmas. On arrival we were greeted with wonderful staff at the reception area who were very accommodating and pleasant!
Our room was spotless and so comfortable which led to a wonderful sleep!
The breakfast was included in the price and i have to say- it was just amazing and set us up nicely for our we shopping trip in town. Again, helpful staff and fab service.
I cannot rate this hotel and their staff high enough!
My mother and I will definately be back in the new year! Top Class Hotel!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We stayed for a couple of nights in a Superior Double room. There was a great atmosphere in the Hotel, and staff etc were very helpful and friendly. Our room was very clean and adequate but all in all nothing stood out about it, especially considering what we paid for our stay. One of the main issues I had was that there is a claim made on the hotel website that all rooms have superior soundproofing.... This isnt the case when you can hear loud music from another floor, and when you are woken by revellers partying in another room at 5am.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank obeda

Dear Obeda,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience. I do apologise to you on behalf of the hotel for the noise you experienced from the function room. This is the busiest time of the year hence greater noise levels are to be experienced. Our executive bedrooms at the back of the hotel are probably more suited to yourself being away from the busy street.
I also apologise on behalf of the guests who kept you awake during the night. If any noise occurs, please contact reception and we will get a member of the Night Management Team to quell the noise.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Don't get me wrong, the majority of our stay at the Europa was fine. The breakfast was lovely, the shower was brilliant and the room was clean. On arrival, we discovered that our TV remote was missing and half of the curtain was hanging down. While both issues were resolved quickly, I would have expected house keeping to have noticed these problems before we arrived. The main problem was when we went to bed. We were woken twice by drunken revellers shouting in the corridor but I do accept that this is difficult for a hotel of this size to control. However, when it was quiet, I still found it hard to sleep due to the heat in the room - it was stiffling and there was no air con unit in the room to enable us to make it cooler. A score of 2 may seem harsh but the basic aim of a hotel is to provide a good night's sleep and I'm afraid I was absolutely shattered the next morning. Guess we'll go back to the Hilton for our trips to Belfast.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GoofNi

Dear GoofNI,

Thank you for letting us know of your opinion regarding our stay at the hotel. I apologise to you on behalf of the inconsiderate guests disturbing your peaceful night. Definitely if there is any problem from neighbouring guests, please contact reception and we will have our Management Team take care of the problem.
Thank you for notifying us of the temperature in the room. We have notified our Maintenance Manager of this and he has addressed the temperature accordingly. If you prefer a room with air conditioning, our Executive rooms would be your preferred choice.
Thanks again for your feedback and have actioned accordingly.