“Certainly not 4 Star standard”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Certainly not 4 Star standard”
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Recently stayed in the "4 Star" Europa in Belfast - what a let down! Check-in took too long with 4 reception staff on duty. When we got to our "Executive Room" the air condidtioning had been set at 5 degrees, the outside temperature was only 6 degrees - so not a good start. Having read some reviews on this site I decided to investigate if some comments made by previous guests had been rectified.
Firstly, the booking and personal details of the previous occupants of room 1036 were still there, as was their scarf! On checking the bathroom, one of the glasses had been used at some point as an ashtray and there were lipmarks on the rim - yuck! I went straight to reception to complain, and the girl behind the desk simply said she would let housekeeping know - but NO APOLOGY. On returning to the room several hours later, the offending items were still there and remained there for the duration of our stay!
By now it was dark and half of the lights in the room were not working - probably only needing bulbs replaced, but again poor housekeeping. There was no form of heating at all in the bathroom, therefore if you showered in the evening before going out, you had the same wet, cold towel to use the next morning. The overall standard of this Executive Room was certainly not up to 4 star standard - cigarette burn in the dirty curtains and yet these rooms, according to the hotel, had only recently been refurbished. I could go on, but I think this is giving an overall picture of the Europa.
On checking out we left the comment card and letter for the General Manager. The Duty Manager did come to discuss our concerns and reduced the cost of the room - but this was not the issue, in 4 star hotels you should not have 2 pages of comments plus a comment card! 10 days later we are still awaiting a reply to the letter!
I just hope that "the great and the good" that have stayed in the Europa in the past had a better experience there than we did.
Nowadays in the vibrant, exciting city of Belfast, with lots to offer the tourist, a famous hotel like the Europa should be driving the standard of city hotels into the 21st Century not dragging them backwards to a time when travellers had little other choice. There are now a WIDE selection of hotels for all budgets in Belfast and my advice to those coming to the city would be to look around and spend their money wisely.

• Disliked — Overall Poor Standard
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Touring_Tetankae

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2007

When we first arrived our booking was not "in the system" despite us having a voucher, but it was sorted out within the hour.
Very comfortable room and bed, you could open the windows-(Why oh why do hotels feel the need to have the heating cranked all the way up??), fabulous bath and shower, and a great lounge/bar that you can enjoy a drink and watch the world go by. Everything within easy walking distance as well.

• Liked — Centrally located and very comfortable.
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ozzie52
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I have just returned from a 1 night stay at the Europa Hotel. Even though this was on a busy Friday evening, I found the staff to be extremely welcoming and attentive. From the moment I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted in the hotel lobby by the concierge asking if I required any assistance. The receptionist was friendly and offered me all the usual extras eg wake up call, morning paper.
My bedroom itself was amongst the best I have stayed in, with great quality of furnishings. The bedroom sapce and the bathroom were also impecably clean, offering all the amenities expected of a hotel of this standard.
The hotel had a fabulous buzz about it, and even though the bar was busy, I rarely had to wait more than a few minutes on a drink. Even though I didnt have the opportunity to dine at the hotel, the newly refurbished restaurant on appearance has to be amongst the best in the city.
Even the breakfast the following morning, which can, as we all know be hit or miss, was excellent, offering everything from porridge and Irish whiskey to a full cooked breakfast.
I would have no hesitation in recomending this hotel to anyone, and whilst other hotels continuously open up around the city, in my opinion the Europa still remains at the forefront!!!
Bravo to the General Manager and his team!!

• Liked — Attentive and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Whamman
belfast
Reviewed November 22, 2007

Stayed here with four friends having booked five months ago on a ttavel website. I phoned two nights before to confirm check in times to be told only one of three rooms was booked.Staff were not very helpful and I was told they were fully booked.I phoned the web company who assured me the rooms were all booked (I had paid in full when booking).phoned the hotel next morning as requested to find it was still not sorted and after a long wait they found the booking.I confirmed the details and was given booking references.
We arrived next day at 1.30 and told we could get our rooms at three but they had two doubles for us not two twins as booked and confirmed.They said they would fix this.We came back later to check in and got one twin and one double on a smoking floor despite booking non smoking.My friends were moved to another double and given a put up bed no refund or reduction was offered.
Rooms were nice and bar also nice but breakfast while plentiful and good was somewhat marred by a bad attitude of waiter.
Also check in is at 3 and check out at 11 so not great value for money.
Generally hotel was ok, very central , comfortable but for a 4 star in the city centre it could do with being more efficent . There are plenty of hotels now in Belfast where things probably run a lot smoother.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank fitzBelfast
Cornwall
Reviewed November 21, 2007

Just like to say that my wife and I really enjoyed our 3 night stay over the period 16th -19th Nov 2007. The hotel was lovely, in easy walking distance of everything. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. An enjoyable and relaxing experience.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank CornwallRunner
essex
Reviewed November 21, 2007

Stayed here with my partner and 2 kids (aged 4 and 9 months). we arrived at 3.30pm and were told the room was still not ready yet if we preferred we could check into a smaller one and could therefore pay less. this was quite annoying as when we initially tried to book on the hotel internet deal for £100 we were told we couldn't as we needed a bigger room to fit an extra bed and cot in, yet now they implied it would be possible.

we were told we could have complimentary tea/coffee in the bar. we really would not have been that bothered if we didnt have the kids but we just wanted to get into the room and relax. finally got in at 5pm which considering one has to check out at 11am seemed to make it even more of an expensive night. we had complained to the check-in staff who said there was nothing they could do. however, on speaking with the manager she did reduce the cost to the smaller room rate of £100 which certainly helped make us feel a bit better about the place.

After a small walk we decided to return for dinner as it was getting late and we wanted to relax. we looked at the bistro menu but decided with the children it would be easier if we had room service. we were told this would take 25 minutes, yet after one hour it still hadnt arrived. when the 2 meals arrived they were of very poor standard. my fish and chips consisted of frozen battered fish and approximately 10 chips. my partner had noodles and vegetables which was swimming in oil and was basically different coloured peppers. we also had a childs pasta dish which seemed the best meal. this amounted to £30 and we hadnt even had any drinks.

yes, the room was comfortable, although no fridge. the breakfast was also quite pleasant. but we had spent a few days in N.Ireland and had intended this to be a bit of luxury for us before we went home. we had paid almost half for a similar standard of room and better service in the lodge hotel, coleraine. Yet here at the europa we felt that it was overpriced with poor service, it did not in any way meet our expectations and we would definitely stay elsewehere next time.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2007
2 Thank Wheezie29
Devon, England
Reviewed November 6, 2007

As a former resident of Belfast the Europa is held in some affection as the original grande dame of hostelry in Northern Ireland. It has been through some well-documented trials in the past, so when a business trip home beckoned I was really quite excited about checking into the Europa.

I was not disappointed. It's got the best location of any hotel in the city centre. Front desk staff should be cloned and sent around the world....no-one does a welcome like Northern Ireland!

The room had been recently refurbished and was nicely done. Flat screen tv, comfy bed, nice bathroom, all good.

Breakfast was a bit tricky, but I did arrive in the wake of about 50 delightful American ladies who had clealy warmed to the charms of an Ulster fry!

It may not be as snazzy as some of the newer trendy hotels in Belfast but I suspect it doesn't want to be. The Europa is continuing the proud tradition of serving well the business traveller to Belfast.

It's a real treat to stay in a hotel with a heart.

• Liked — The warm Ulster welcome
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business