“The original and could be the best!”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed November 6, 2007

As a former resident of Belfast the Europa is held in some affection as the original grande dame of hostelry in Northern Ireland. It has been through some well-documented trials in the past, so when a business trip home beckoned I was really quite excited about checking into the Europa.

I was not disappointed. It's got the best location of any hotel in the city centre. Front desk staff should be cloned and sent around the world....no-one does a welcome like Northern Ireland!

The room had been recently refurbished and was nicely done. Flat screen tv, comfy bed, nice bathroom, all good.

Breakfast was a bit tricky, but I did arrive in the wake of about 50 delightful American ladies who had clealy warmed to the charms of an Ulster fry!

It may not be as snazzy as some of the newer trendy hotels in Belfast but I suspect it doesn't want to be. The Europa is continuing the proud tradition of serving well the business traveller to Belfast.

It's a real treat to stay in a hotel with a heart.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank earlycheckin
Write a ReviewReviews (4,665)

Reviewed October 31, 2007

Stayed in Europa at Weekend, absolutely buzzin, great atmoshere. Location ideal for night out in City.
Lovely modern room, with flat screen, the most comfortable bed, duvet and pillows, didn't want to get up. The breakfast was excellent and just what the doctor ordered after night out!! Checkout v busy but we experienced efficient and friendly service.
Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Belfast.

2  Thank maggiemay93
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Excellent hotel with very good facilities. Well located in the centre of town for all facilities. No parking, though there is a public car park loacted close by.
However, I'm marking them down because of poor front desk service. The customer is something that seems to get in their way and is a nuisance to them. A quick lie will do if it gets them out of the way. Shame as it let the whole visit down for me.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank john_n998
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Very convenient to city airport bus station. I arrived at 2:00 p.m and room not ready. I went across the street to a pub for lunch while I waited for the room. The pub directly across the street had very good food at a reasonable price. Came back to the hotel at about 3:00 pm. Room still not ready although check in time had passed (if I remember correctly check-in time was 2:00 pm onward). I sat in the lobby until 4:30pm until the room was ready with a very surly staff who barely responded when I enquired twice in an hour and a half as to the time the room might be ready. Very poor attitude and couldn't care less. The room very outdated. There have to be better choices for the same cost of the Europa.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank wakeham
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I have lost count of the amount of hotels that I have stayed at in Belfast being a frequent business traveller. I must say that the Europa is one of the best.

The rooms are a little small, however have quality bedding and bathroom and even have a flat screen TV in every room.

I ate in the restaurant which was lovely. The staff are obviously used to business people dining on their own, and I was offered newspapers to keep me occupied. The food, and staff were all excellent.

Situated in the heart of Belfast you couldn't wish for much more.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Cath G
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Price quoted: £199 inc breakfast triple room. We arrived at 2.40pm and tried to check in, however we were only then advised check in wasn't until 3pm and that our room wasn't ready. We asked for parking and the concierge took the car keys from us. We stayed in the lobby waiting on our room for over an hour and 15 mins. I asked the lady again when would our room be ready, she advised she didn't know and it would be at least another 20mins. We decide to get something to eat and return in an hour. At 6.00pm we arrived back to the hotel and were given the key to our room. On arrival to our room there was a dirty tray left outside our door, which had been there most of the day, looking at the stale food. When we entered the room we were shocked to discover there was only a double bed. We had booked a triple room. I was to have the single bed as I am heavly pregnant and my to friends to have the double. I contact reception and they advised they would put another bed in the room. Then we went out for the evening, we asked for extra pillow and towels as the room had only catered for 2 people. On our return to my horror the pillow and extra towel was placed outside our room door on the floor. Not what I would call hygienic. To add insult the pillow was dirty. To further my horror we entered the room where I discovered my bed was a fold up bed. This was not what we booked. I was never advised at the time of booking a fold up bed would be what I was sleeping in, if I did I would not of accepted this room as I am pregnant and a fold up bed is not something I would find very comfortable to sleep on. The following morning on check out, the lady said our stay was £210. I argued and explained it was £199 where she agreed to deduct the £11. We checked out and asked the concierge to collect the car. When he returned he advised us this was £15. This was the 1st time we were advised of this charge so it was another disappointment. He said the hotel should have advised us of this charge. I can honestly say this was overall an absolute disgrace of service at the hotel. I have complained to the Hotel and I am currently waiting a response.

3  Thank karencjw
Reviewed October 18, 2007

After an initial hicup with the booking ref, which was dealt with very professionally, this was a brilliant place to stay. We got a good deal on price.

Right in centre, rooms lovely, great views. Breakfast top quality.
We thought the staff were particularily lovely, especially for a busy
city centre hotel. Receptionist was very friendly and helpfull and the older gentleman in the piano bar makes the best cocktails I have ever tasted.

Overall would recommend this if you want to see Belfast. Great city,
much friendlier people and friendlier to your wallet than Dublin. City bus tour goes a little way up the street which was really interesting.

1  Thank toriGlasgow