“Afternoon tea, Christmas treat”
Review of Maryville House

Maryville House
Ranked #9 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Christmas afternoon tea was a lovely treat with fresh sandwiches, mini turkey tarts, little ginger bread men and lots of other little fancies. Very attentive staff and lovely setting for a Tea room. I had priced The Merchant and the Europa but this was half the price it was just lovely. Great treat for family and friends.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Eve R
There are newer reviews for Maryville House

Reviewed November 19, 2013

There's an excellent reason (amongst many) to return to Belfast and that's Maryville House. Extremely comfortable accommodation, beautiful decor, relaxing atmosphere, delicious drink and food (even home-made scones and cakes on the landing for guests), friendly people and close to lovely places to shop and eat on the Lisburn Road. Easy to get into the town centre - but so many bus stops why not stroll along a while, it's worth it. Great value too!

Highly recommended and looking forward to my next visit already. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank pemberton2
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed at the B and B at Maryville House for a conference at Queens Uni Belfast. I booked via an online booking site and promptly received an email from Maryville asking when I would be arriving etc. A nice touch, instantly assuring me that I was going to be staying somewhere that cared. The staff were really accommodating of my dietary needs sorting a gluten free breakfast for me, and making it early so I could get to the conference on time. The rooms are lovely, really very clean and beautifully decorated. Bed was comfy and the variety of complimentary tea, coffee, juices and cakes on offer was really good. Lisburn road has lots of cafes and restaurants on offer and is right on a bus route into the city centre. Lovely place. I will be returning the next time I stay in Belfast for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stunning wee gem on busy Lisburn Road in Belfast. Staff were very friendly and welcoming, and I just loved the quirkiness of decor and the Irish charm :)
I was only for a cup of tea and a scone earlier this year but I would love to go back again x

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ctipster2013
Reviewed October 7, 2013

As a tea room I loved this place, it is a nice place to treat yourself at the weekend but as a B&B it fails to deliver. (Brides-to-be pay attention)

We booked the whole house out for the accommodation for our wedding night for the bridal party as it fitted in with the theme of the day and our venue didn’t have bedrooms. We also booked a second night for us (bride and groom).

The first point that is still annoying me weeks later is that they gave us the smallest room (apart from the single). There was no wardrobe so I had to leave my wedding dress in my parents’ room the first night and hanging on the bathroom door our second night.
The next day when well-wishers came round we were crammed like sardines in our tiny attic room as they made it clear we couldn’t use the function room on the first floor – which we had specifically been told we could use when we booked! There was only one small dining chair at the desk.

The storage cupboard was also located right next to our room so we had the happy sounds of banging from first thing.

The arrangements at booking also included us all having a cooked breakfast in the function room and the staff tried to make us eat downstairs and told us there were only a few tables left! I refused. On the second morning we ate in the main restaurant.

In addition they kept trying to charge us more than had originally been agreed so get your quote emailed to you and keep it!

From the time we first went to see the rooms to the day of our wedding there was a high turnover of staff so I was constantly having to send THEM all their own details.

If you are using this for your wedding you probably want something smaller and less stressful – so this is not the place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank J_Judgemental
MaryvilleHouse, Manager at Maryville House, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Judith R,
Please find a review written by a bride and groom that held their wedding function in Maryville .
“Thank you so much for making our day so special. Everything was top – notch, we couldn’t have been more pleased with how the day turned out and that was largely due to the professionalism of your staff and the fantastic food” Kiera & John 2011

Thank you for your feedback on our B&B, which we appreciate – we are always looking to improve our services and facilities. It’s a pity that you have brought this to our attention 8 months later.
As you mentioned in your review, you booked our B&B rooms for your wedding party- not as a wedding venue - all rooms where shown to you, and you chose Darjeeling . We were surprised that you chose this room as you had the option of choosing one of the large family rooms – nonetheless we did not question your choice as you seemed to like this particular room. We have a regular guest who stays in the room of your choice in our B&B, it was organised so it would be free for your usage and to accommodate for your booking.
At breakfast time it was suggested to your guests as they were arriving at different times that the food would keep better and that the ambience of the tea rooms would be nicer for them, rather than an half empty large room. We thought it was in your best interest that the food was cooked to order – rather than kept on hot plates for a lengthy time – to ensure it being freshly cooked.
On the morning after your first night stay, the function room had not been booked off for you. Referring to the emails exchanged the function room was only requested for the day of your arrival. The room was booked for another function later that day. If you can recall, as when you were leaving asked, if it was a hen party and so kindly offered them a flower from your bouquet as a token of good luck.
Last but not least, yes there was a change of management, which was something we had not anticipated. We had been in correspondence with you for a lengthy period regarding your booking and the request for details, was simply to ensure that everything would be to your liking on your special day.
We wish you had brought your concerns to us at the time, for example when you were chatting to our housekeeper regarding your honey moon in South Africa, or when you were chatting to our supervisor about your vintage wedding theme, we would’ve been able to offer you a solution.
Kind regards,
Maryville House Management

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a weekend and were overwhelmed by the friendly Irish charm that welcomed us. The service was pleasant and above all had that Irish charm that you would expect in a rural environment and not in a city dwelling. The breakfast was a delight and the variety was amongst the best we have ever experienced. There was ample tea/coffee/juice and cakes/scones etc. Spoilt for choice is an understatement as this made the visit more than rewarding. We will be regular visitors to this spot and will most definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at Maryville House when I took my son to join Queens University.
I was completely delighted with the welcome and accommodation at Maryville. The staff could have not been more friendly and hospitable and I loved the quirkiness and tastefulness of the décor. As I will no doubt be returning to Belfast over the next three years, Maryville will become my first choice for B&B every time!
I will also be recommending Maryville to members of my family who will be visiting Belfast and I'm confident that they will have an excellent stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family