“Afternoon Tea at Maryville House” 5 of 5 stars

Maryville House
2 Maryville Park, Belfast BT9 6LN, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #9 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Northern Ireland
“Afternoon Tea at Maryville House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We enjoyed our afternoon tea at Maryville House. It's a quaint house with plenty of interesting furnishings. We were there on a Monday afternoon and the place was quite busy even then.The young staff were efficient. The sandwiches and tray bakes were lovely although some cream would have enhanced the scones. There is a good selection of teas on offer. We arrived with 2 babies and felt very comfortable which is not always the case in restaurants (Though I have to say the babies behaved impeccably and most people didn't even realise they were there!) We had 3 coffees to finish off our day and there was no charge for them which was a nice touch. My only criticism is the lack of baby changing facilities. The only thing available was a changing which would have to put on the ground. We were able to change the baby standing up as she's walking but there would be no option with a younger baby. Some kind of drop down table would work and there is plenty of room for it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janey 3352

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, nice location, great afternoon tea. Would recommend this to anyone interested in seeing Belfast as it is ideally placed near the city centre. Staff were really helpful in suggesting tourist activities and gave us loads of brochures and helpful tips

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Douglas, Isle of Man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've just returned from a weekend break in Belfast to visit a friend from Uni and a group of us decided to stay at this quaint little B&B. The B&B is beautifully deocrated and the family rooms (Earl Grey & Chamomile) we're very comfortable and cosy. The only downside was the shower in our room (Earl Grey) was not very powerful and would have been difficult if we wanted to wash our hair during the stay. The afternoon tea which is available all day practically was delicious as was the made to order cooked breakfasts. All in all we have a every enjoyable & pleasant stay here and would definitely return if I was visiting the area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I debated whether to actually post this review as I don't really like to be negative online, however the service I recieved here made me think that a private email probably would have been ignored as much as this will. Afternoon tea was tasty but the service was downright awful, verging on neglectful and at some points rude. DO NOT make the mistake of booking for a group of friends greater than 4 as they will charge you £5 per head for the booking and then penalise you for someone not turning up. This happened in my case. They refused to understand that of course I have no control over any of my friends pulling out at the last minute..and they were only penalising me who made the booking. They kept the £10 extra deposit I paid on my card..even though they clearly did not premake enough sandwiches for 6 people (there were 4 of us, and only 2 sandwiches were left). I will also add that although initially you think the private rooms are a nice touch, it leads to your group being thoroughly ignored without any means to attract attention. They didn't seem to know what they were doing. We had to request more tea as the 'premade' sandwiches took so long to arrive that there was no tea left. Not one person approached us during our meal to enquire whether everything was ok.

Seriously, pick up your game. There was one (quite young) waitress who was friendly. The rest seemed grumpy and unwilling to help.

• Stayed December 2012
10 Thank Gp7eg
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

stayed here for the second time with my friend when we had a 2 night break away in Belfast. We had a bit of a disaster the night before in a city centre hotel so were hoping this would be much better - and it didn't disappoint. When we checked in we were greeted by a lovely staff member who escorted us to our room - it had a double bed in it and she then suggested she would give us a twin room at the front of the house. This was a bigger and much better room. The tea coffee and homemade scones and traybakes were just scrumptious. and such a personal touch.
We went out for drinks to a Lillys - just across the road - was really handy and great fun! The only problem was, as this was a Saturday night and we were back home late, we panicked slightly when we couldn't get the key to turn on the front door...... The key appeared to stick and not turn - which really left us in a bit of a stick - as we had left the list of telephone numbers in the room upstairs.......!!! It took us quite a while to sort it but we did eventually get the door opened...... as this was almost at 2am we were in a bit of stick as we had no idea who to call should we not have managed it...... anyway once in, we slept well as the beds were very comfortable.
The breakfast the next morning was scrumptious - and cooked to order. the Tea rooms are really quaint - would highly recommend them.
This was my second time to stay here - once with my boyfriend earlier in the year and the other with a pal - would highly recommend for either.

Room Tip: check the keys turn on all doors before the tea rooms close and always bring the numbers that are in...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
County Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Lovely room and cakes out in the hall are a realy nice touch.
I am here on buisiness for 5 nights cost nearly €300 and I am very dissapointed that the best they have offered me for breakfast at 8am is made the day before - help yourself fruit salad and make it yourself toast. No fruit juice or cereals. Where is the organic yoguart and other lovely breakfast options as advertised?
Not availible until after 9am....come on...... I have to be in Belfast and working by then.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was there with my sister, her boyfriend and a friend of mine. We arrived just after midnite and as arranged, there was someone there waiting for us. Orianne explained us everything and was really helpful and friendly. The bedroom was so nice, like in the movies, full of cushions, lovely furniture, and we had a great sleep. Bed very soft and pillows just perfect. Fresh pastries just outside our room with juices and desserts. Breakfast took a bit longer than we thought, but it was because it was made at the moment, and you could feel the difference in the tasty, everything was soooo delicious!!. It is about 35-40 minutes walk into town, but along the Lisburn Road there are lots of little shops, so it is worth to walk (if the weather permits it!). Overall, I really enjoyed our stayed and I am recommending it already to my friends. Thank you very much for such a great stay, speacially to Orianne!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends