“not impressed whatsoever”

Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
York
“not impressed whatsoever”
Reviewed February 21, 2007

I did not enjoy my recent experience at the Hilton- ok the hotel's decor is nice but the staff I spoke to were unhelpful and not at all clued up on local information, bordering on rude. Also My bathroom was not up to the cleaning standards I have come to expect in an apparently 'top of the range' hotel.

It was a last minute business trip to Belfast and I had no choice but to stay at the Hilton, as my hotel of choice 'Holiday Inn Belfast' was fully booked. However I will avoid staying at the Hilton again, i'd rather sleep on a park bench.

• Liked — the bed was quite comfortable
  • Disliked — uncleanliness
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank LillyYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
wales
Reviewed February 20, 2007

loved the room the breakfast and the evening meal,booked a deal direct with the hilton for just over £70 double bed bed and breakfast and buffet evening meal on first night.enjoyed so much we booked evening meal for the second night,allthough this was a set course for around £20 ,you could eat elsewhere if you prefered.thought the room was comfortably 4 star our party were quite pleased.hired a car to tour area impressed with giants causeway and the castle in carrickfergus,a mention also for bangor with its harbour and nearby pub which on a sunday has a jazz quartet which we enjoyed over lunch.
if its pubs your after pick up a map showing the belfast town pubs also wetherspoons to be found on bedford street by the bbc,head straight up street from hilton and turn left at city hall, drink prices were half the price of the hilton in some bars(other than the vaudeville) one suggestion is if your driving from airport to hilton avoid belfast town streets, you will end up going in circles in the one way system ,head down the m3 take the docks/city centre turnoff (not docks only) follow the seacat signs and arrive at the hilton by going over albert bridge.
we all enjoyed stay, more so at the price we paid.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank airtool
Larne
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Very very disappointed. My girlfriend booked this hotel deal for my birthday - dinner, bed & breakfast for £123 on the Hilton's own website. She thought this would be a nice surprise for me but we were not overly impressed.

Check-in was fine. We asked for a menu for dinner and were told this was available in the restaurant. We went into the restaurant and there was nobody in sight so we went up to our room thinking we would get the menu a bit later in the day. As it turned out there was no menu for dinner. It was a carvery, which was fine with me but not to everyone's liking. I was curious why reception were not aware of this when I checked in.

I must state that the carvery was very nice BUT we ordered 2 glasses of house wine when we sat down, and then another 2 with our main course. When we got the bill it showed that each glass of wine was £8.25!! How is this possible, or how can they justify charging that price for a house wine? £4.00 would be the most I have paid for a glass of wine in the only real 5 star hotel in the country - The Culloden. This hotel is at best a 3 star - no more.

Check out time was 12noon. We were at reception to find a large queue and only one member of staff on reception (who was on the telephone). Should a so-called 5 star hotel have one member of staff to check everyone out when they arrive down at 12noon? I have seen better service in Jurys on Great Victoria Street which is a 3 star hotel.

On our bill were 5 items from the mini-bar when I only had 1 item. Then, after waiting in the queue for 10 minutes, we were asked to take a seat while someone went up to our room to check that I did only take 1 item from the mini bar. When they discovered that I was indeed telling the truth did they apologise? No. Will I stay there again? No. Should you stay there? No.

Try the Culloden for a proper 5 star hotel instead of this overpriced excuse for 5 star quality.

• Liked — It was sunny when we left
  • Disliked — Ridiculously overpriced , not 5 stars
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KM50
Northern Ireland
Reviewed January 20, 2007

Arrived at 2pm. to check in but was told that the room wouldn't be ready till 3, which was a bit annoying as I was stranded there on a cold wet windy day - but that was my only gripe really.
The bed was the best I have ever slept in, mattress just perfect and lovely smooth quality bedding and pillows.
Didn't have dinner there but breakfast was OK with porridge on offer but, unusually for such a class of hotel,no fruit or yoghurt and only orange juice on offer (poured out at the table).
Service throughout was efficient and polite, if sometimes a little impersonal.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — late check-in
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Kabiven
niles, illinois
Reviewed December 17, 2006

I was there for a week or so with my mom and friend for an Irish dance competition. It was the GREATEST!! I loved it. My cousins visited us at the hotel which made it better and they wished that they had booked a room there. The front desk was very nice, and i love how they have apples in a basket in case you're hungry. I take one every time I go to a Hilton. The room was wonderful, and my mom and I have never found comforters or pillows quite as soft, fluffy, or warm as those at the Hilton. Good job HILTON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed February 2004
3 Thank jackskellington
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2006

To put my review in some context, I'm a 40 yr old company director and have, in the past worked for quality hotel groups in UK and overseas. I've been using four and five star Hilton hotels as a matter of choice most of my adult life and in most parts of the world.

I stayed in this hotel for two nights (14th-16th Dec) and 'ate in' both nights.

When it was built several years ago this hotel was quite a development for Belfast as previously there had only been one five star property in the city, the Hastings Culloden Hotel.
My impression now is that the hotel is starting to show its age and faces serious competition from more recently built hotels in the city, of which there are many.
The hotel's design and decor are not wearing well to the extent that it now appears to me to be pretty unexceptional. I'd usually expect a five star rated property to stand out from the local competition, usually mostly four star. However, it is maintained well and is perfectly acceptable, if annonymous. This applies equally to public spaces as well as accommodations. If I recall correctly, the star rating system relates mostly to facilities and less so to the quality of the operation and its on quality where the hotel falls down.
Staff were mostly not very welcoming and would not make eye contact with guests when passing. I found other guests more friendly. My perception was that staff regarded guests, not as the focus of their efforts, but as a nuisance to be worked around. To me this is a very telling indicator of how well the staff are led, motivated and trained by management.
An exception to this were the receptionists, notably Sian and Nicola who were very helpful at all times.
As said above, I ate in both nights, purely for convenience. I ate in the restaurant on the first night and the food, to be generous, was bland. On the second night, due to a private function I was told I could not eat in the restaurant, something that staggered me. The bar was suggested, however this was full to overflowing, nobody else was eating there and it was not a setting for a quality eating experience. I had a room service meal and this was not even up to the standard to the previous nights meal and was more at a three star hotel level I'd judge, to be very generous.
The 'spa' is closed due to refurnishment, something that I think may not be advertised on the hotel's website.
Unfortunately I didn't check tripadvisor prior to making this booking and if I had, I'd likely have gone elsewhere. I booked this hotel mostly because for me the location was very convenient. I find that if you lack local knowledge, booking within the top three or five tripadvisor rated hotels is normally pretty reliable. Its telling that this hotel is some way down the Belfast hotel rankings.

In summary. I'd suggest this hotel just barely gets by as a five star property, though it is a pretty anonymous hotel and will likely fade from memory quickly. Eating in is not recommended. Belfast is full of innovative restaurants and bars serving good food.
While some staff as mentioned are a delight to deal with, most aren't welcoming and I'd suggest this indicates 'issues' within the mangement team. If I was to stay here again, it would be in spite of recent experience. Probably I'll try a local four star alternative, at at much better price point.

Hope this is helpful.

• Liked — Was of an acceptable standard for a short stay, but wasn't a true five star experience.
  • Disliked — Staff and quality were not up to standard.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid. Use tripadvisor before you book!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
15 Thank UlstermanAbroad
Liss, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2006

Stayed here with my boyfriend in August this year.

Hotel is quite big and near the theatre/hall, so handy if you are going to see a show/concert. Not very central, about 10/15min walk down the road to the main city centre, from where you can catch buses to a number of locations.

We were ripped off by the staff on the first day, as we wanted to go to the castle and the conceirge told us that it would be better to catch a taxi as it was miles away! This cost us €10 and the castle isn't like a normal visiting castle, say like Warwick and there was a wedding going on, which cut our visit short. However, on coming back to the city we caught a bus that just cost us €2.50 and we found out we could use the ticket all day on any other bus.

Having said that, most of the staff were helpful and pleasant. We had a slight problem when we got to our room in the first instance, there was a guy repairing the air con, but they let us into the room anyways and then we ended up changing as he was there for a while. An oversite on the hotel's part.

Breakfast is always very good at the Hilton, plenty to choose from.

We went into the bar one evening and over priced, and rather lifeless, considering it had been refurbished.

Overall, nice hotel, not right in the city centre and if I had a choice, wouldn't particulary use again.

• Liked — Big breafast and options
  • Disliked — Position of hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — St James Street Restaurant for an excellent meal!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple