“NEVER AGAIN”

Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Ireland
“NEVER AGAIN”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2006

My husband spent a weekend at the Hilton in Belfast recently and I was bitterly disappointed to say the least. We had stayed there before (when it was newly opened) and we were very impressed and looked forward to going back. Never again !!!!!

The reception area is cold in temperature as well as the staff who did not have the ability to welcome guests in a friendly manner!!! I was "processed" instead of being welcomed when I approached the frosty front line staff who were so busy talking among themselves, they didn't care about me - not to mention 2 porters who chatted among themselves rather than help me while I clearly struggled with my luggage !!

Nevertheless I looked forward to unwinding in the jaccussi which was broken - another disappointment.

The carpet in our room was totally stained and gave a horrible impression when I opened the door to our room the first time.

I have no problem staying in a below average hotel if the staff are friendly, welcoming and polite - I'd even settle for a little bit of manners.

I think it will be the Radisson next time !!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank 16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in January this year with my girlfrined for the weekend. I have used Hilton hotels before and always found them to be first class. After this experience, I would have to question staying at one again.
The hotel is situated close to the train station and you can clearly hear the noise. Our room on the fifth floor over looked a car park and a goods entrance to the concert hall next door. Lots of noise from here as well.
The best part of the room was the bed, which was exceptional as you expect from Hilton. The rest of the room was very poor. It was shabby and worn looking. On our arrival, there was a safety pin on the carpet beside the bed and the rest of the floor was quite stained and had bits of debris on it. It was obvious that the room had not been checked prior to our arrival. The bathroom was quite small and cramped with mildew on the bath and stains all along the ceiling. Very poor standard.
The bar was charmless and lacked any atmosphere. The staff were truly inattentive and preferred to talk to each other rather than serve guests. No sign of management in the bar at any time during our stay. Food in the bar was really basic and lacked any creativety.
Front desk staff were pleasant enough but was given a non smoking room despite requesting a smoking room. The concierege was very accomodating and really helpful in advising us on where to go and what to see.
The pool and spa were closed during our stay which was very disappointing as this was one of the main reasons we had booked. No mention of this on the website when booking or even from the hotel when we arrived. Saw a sign in the lifts on the way up to our room.
Breakfast was ok with a good selection of food. The place seemed understaffed as there was plenty of tables that were not cleared during the length of our meal.
Definitely not a five star hotel. A three star property that needs updating before they can justify charging the prices that they do.

• Liked — the bed was the only redeeming factor
  • Disliked — the shabby appearance of the room and the questionable cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the Radisson
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Knappogue
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2006

My friend and I admittedly got a great deal on this hotel for our one night stay, but I have to say that I have no idea how it got its 5 star rating. When we arrived, the bar was closed for refurbishing. We were given a room on the 5th floor, with a not so great view of the railway line and ship yards. The room itself was a disappointment, with stained bedcovers, a non-functioning hairdryer and signs of mould on the bathroom ceiling. I've been in upmarket B&Bs with better fittings.

We had pre-booked massage and beauty treatments in the spa as part of our weekend treat, but were told that the bookings had been made at the Hilton Templepatrick in error. We were told that we could not be accommodated for our massages, but that somebody 'would stay late' to deliver the beauty treatments we ordered. We then went on to receive the worst manicures and pedicures we'd ever experienced. After complaint, the beauty treatments were taken off our bill.

On the plus side, the reception and room service staff were very pleasant and helpful, but in general our Hilton experience was a real letdown.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank Screen_name_taken
Basingstoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2006

Got a great deal of £80 per night B&B with evening meal on the first night. Bargain. As we are Hilton Gold Members we got an automatic upgrade to an executive room with access to the executive lounge.

On arrival the concierge (Wayne) was very friendly and helpful and continued to be throughout our stay. Nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel is new and modern and although not located in the centre of the city it is only a 10 minute walk to the centre which was no trouble.

Our room was reasonably large, nicely furnished and clean with a very comfy bed and air conditioning and a great view. I was a little disappointed that there wasnt a seperate shower. We had access to the executive lounge which had great views of the city, free soft drinks all day and free alcohol and nibbles between 6 and 8pm (which seems a bit stingy - most hilton executive lounges have free alcohol all evening or even all day).

The service was excellent and the main restaurant was very good - breakfast was excellent (hilton breakfasts usually are). There is a small pool and gym that we didn't use but looked functional.

Overall it was a very pleasant stay at a bargain price (some freinds were staying at the 'cheaper' Days hotel which was only £10 a night cheaper and we had a free eveing meal included (and the Days hotel is nowhere near as nice)). Would recommend a stay here but go on the Hilton website and you should be able to get a good advance purchase deal.

• Liked — Free upgrade!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Book on line and get an advance purchase 2 night break B&B with dinner on first night.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

Having booked the Hilton for a business stay-over and based on the long standing reputation, I thought this would be top-class, cheapest room was £140.00, so this also led me to believe this will be good. Unfortunately not to be, the leisure centre and bar were closed for renovation and you had to pay additional for your parking so beware an additional £14.00. Also the hotel overlooks Central Station and the trains, particularly the freight trains on a balmy evening/night with the window open are quite noisy, and don't contribute to a peaceful nights sleep.
The breakfast was o.k. but is a buffet arrangement and although not particulrly busy needs more staffing and attention to restock and clear tables, etc. It may be function of large hotels but the staff were not very attentive overall. Also if you want ot go out in Belfast this location is quite remote to the city centre , although it could be walked in 15- 20 mins.
I'm sure there's cheaper, more comfortable, homely accomodation closer to the city centre that is available.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Particpant
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

Got a great internet deal for the Hilton which made it cheaper than the Travelodge type hotel I was originally looking at!
It's in a great location, right on the waterfront, though it did take a few minutes to find the entrance having walked from teh city centre - it's kind of round the side! Couldn't be more convenient for the train station though!
The room was exactly as booked, spotlessly clean & spacious (for a twin this is unusual as the 2 beds take up more space than one double!). Bathroom was good & the complimentary toiletries very useable without being "frivolous"

The restaurant was lovely - excellent breakfast buffet with just about everything you could want, and our "dinner included" option was great & highly recommended. There was a slight problem with my starter (what was brought wasn't what I ordered) but it as very quickly & efficiently sorted out & the attention of the manager who saw that there was a problem before I even said anything can only be compimented.
The bar was friendly & not too noisy or busy

Could have done with a few more hangers in the wardrobe, but nothing else I could fault!

• Stayed July 2006