“smoking room in non smoking hotel, another central reservation mess up”
Review of Hilton Belfast

Hilton Belfast
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
uk
“smoking room in non smoking hotel, another central reservation mess up”
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I telephoned the Hilton Belfast to make a reservation and was transferrred to Hilton central reservation. I spoke to an American lady who took details of my requirements; a double, smoking room, for 2 nights, Saturday and Sunday.
On arrival at hotel at 8.15pm I went to check-in. The receptionist was very polite and efficient until I asked if was smoking room. No, madam, we dont have smoking rooms. I was infuriated. I know smoking or indeed non-smoking rooms cannot be guaranteed but the central reservation had made a booking for me for a smoking room in a totally non- smoking hotel!
I was stuck in Belfast at 8.15 on a Saturday night looking for a hotel room. The manager and staff at Hilton were very apologetic and helpful and called several hotels to find me a room. I have stayed in Hilton Belfast previously, prior to the non-smoking rule, so the review is based on this time, approx 2 years ago.
Unfortunately the only room available was in Europa( see review) but beggars cant be choosers.
This is 2nd time out of 2 that Hilton central reservations has made a mistake with my booking. In June I made reservation for Conrad Hilton in Brussels but upon arrival the receptionist told me was no reservation. After checking it appeared the Central booking department had booked me into the Hilton Brussels, a hotel in a different league to Conrad. The Conrad staff found me a room and the stay was very pleasant but....
PLEASE HILTON GROUP, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, this is not acceptable for a Hotel group such as yours. A room in the wrong hotel and a smoking room in a non smoking hotel. Guests deserve and expect better.

3 Thank Georgia62uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2009

stayed here on the summer special deal where you stayed two nights and only paid for one so we did get a bargain break away to see the tall ships leave belfast. room we were allocated was on the 12th floor and i couldn't fault it - linens were all clean and room had a lovely view of the big wheel but the bathroom floor hadn't been hoovered or mopped in a while as it was thick with dust- we cleaned it ourselves !!!! service at reception was very good and we had no problems whatsoever with them and breakfast was delicious , fresh and hot so again no complaints there - just like everyone else has commented the price of car parking is ridiculous - it really is something whcih should be addressed by hilton group as it is extortionate . If you are planning a stay here i am sure you will enjoy yourself as it is within walking distance of most of the city centre attractions

1 Thank Juicylady
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton Belfast early August and took advantage of the 2 nights for 1 deal. Two nights bed and breakfast for two cost £129.

We checked in and were given a room on the Executive level as it was our anniversary which was a lovely touch. The check-in staff were delightful and extremely helpful giving us directions, advice and arranging taxis.

The room was standard Hilton fare with a huge bed, quality linens, a lovely bathroom with a great shower and the usual tea/coffee making and ironing facilities. We used the Executive lounge on our first night and were looked after well. The lady serving on our second night was a little sharp and this was the only less than perfect part of the stay.

Breakfast was good, a nice Irish buffet with fresh oj and views of the river. We didn't dine at the hotel at night but the restaurant menu and wine list both looked reasonably priced with a good choice.

The hotel is located by the river right next to the concert hall, slightly out of the city centre but only a ten minute walk from the City hall, big wheel, shops etc.. Perhaps not the best location for a single female but ideal otherwise.

We did both the causeway and city tours and both companies collected us from the hotel. We booked online for the best discount and called to arrange the collections.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

3 Thank jul222
Dublin
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We got a great deal on the Hilton as they have a 'two nights for the price of one' offer running on all of their branches for the month of August. We were really impressed with their Belfast branch too - nice rooms, great service, perfect location and just the best breakfast I've had in a long time - they even have a designated egg chef. The only issues we found were: 1. There were doors connecting our room to the next and a lot of noise (tv, talking) came through which was annoying at 7am. 2. There is no free parking and even the discounted rate is £18. This is a little ridiculous for a 5-star hotel - city centre location or no city centre location.

We did manage to find cheaper parking nearby though which I would recommend to any guests. There is a pretty basic lot carpark on Dalton Street which costs £3 a day or £15 for a week which is perfect unless you're driving a ferrari. The security in the carpark isn't great but it is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel so it's a good option for anyone who doesn't worry too much about on-street parking.

1 Thank TravelJournoDublin
Belfast
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton to attend a concert at the Odyssey Arena and it is well located for that as it is an easy walk there and back. I had never stayed in the Belfast Hilton before but was familiar with many others in the chain in the UK. It was great to receive a complimentary upgrade to an executive room on one of the top floors so it was off to a good start. The lobby was all marble and little seating apart from a few isolated settees but all very tasteful if not a bit clinical. All staff encountered in all parts of the hotel from reception to dining to the girls preparing the rooms, were very pleasant and helpful and they could not be faulted throughout the stay.
Our room was a very good size with a huge superking bed. The mattress had perhaps seen better days. It was rather shallow, very firm and not a little lumpy in parts - not up to 5 star bed standard. The decor was tasteful but bland in the usual Hilton corporate style but good nonetheless. The small table and two chairs set up was a nice comfortable touch. The view of the city was excellent out over the blue lit dome of the stunning Victoria Square Centre and to the hills beyond.
We ate from room service as the concert was looming. Of our three meals mine was really rather paltry for almost £17, the ingredients costing an estimated wholesale price to Hilton of quite possibly less than £1 -quite a profit and that didn't include the tray delivery charge to the room. Still it filled a space even though it was basic and bland.
The night was quiet with no noticeable noise from the town outside and well below. The only sound was a slight rumble from the aircon fan which worked well and cooled the room as we wanted. Simple controls for this but no actual temperature indicators, so it was hard to be sure how cold it was going to get.
Breakfast was buffet style and provided the usual Hilton offerings but unusually no natural yoghurt was available to add to fruit, just mini pots of mullerlight. No thanks. As a coeliac I had to be careful about eating from the buffet in case I accidentally ate gluten. My request for a clean pair of tongs to help myself to reduce the risk was happily met. No cereals, no porridge, no toast, no bread, no potato bread, no sausages, no muffins, nothing with flour was to cross my lips or my next days would be spent in pain, nausea and frequent loo visits. I ate what seemed to be safe but I was amazed to find that the bacon in the tray had been placed on a bed of bread slices, presumably to soak up the fat runoff. I had never seen this before but I wasn't going to miss my bacon so I managed to take bacon from the top that I was pretty sure hadn't been in contact with the dreaded bread below. You are always on the defensive with coeliac disease or you pay the price. The breakfast room was pleasant and bright with a wall of window looking out over weed strewn terracing and flower beds with only weeds and no flowers or shrubs. Not a pretty sight and definitely not 5 star landscaping. Some weedkiller and evergreen low maintenance planting and it would have looked the part.
Yes the discounted hotel rate of £18 for 24 hrs parking from arrival in the adjoining car park seemed steep but it is city centre and Belfast is unjustifiably one of the UK's most expensive cities for parking so if you park you really do pay.
My overall verdict is that the standard of the hotel was good and the room very pleasant. Staff were unfailingly warm and helpful. Does it merit 5 stars? Perhaps not, probably four and in parts a bit more. Good location, good staff, a few gripes here and there but nothing that would put me off from staying there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FaircriticBelfast
Worchester
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed here a number of times the last being for 4 nights in April. I find the accomodation to be very modern and clean. The staff were also very helpful. its conveniently located at the bottom of town and has some nice views out across Belfast.

I would recommend this as a comfortable business hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Ireland
Reviewed July 18, 2009

On arrival at the hotel it certainly looked impressive. We were allocated "a newly refurbished room" on the 7th floor. The room looked impressive but had a terrible smell of damp. We were re-allocated a room on the 8th floor. This was also "newly refurbished" and looked smart.

As we had arrived late we decided to go straight to bed. In the middle of a mini-heatwave we switched the air conditioning on. The noise was reminiscent of someone driving a tank through the room. And so we decided to switch it off. But we could still hear next door's on!! Went to bed and realised the bed wasn't a standard Hilton bed, no this felt like it was bought on special in a discount furniture store. The mattress was thin and you could feel springs poking at you, and creaking with every move.

Could it get any worse? Yes, the walls and doors are paper thin. We were woken numerous times during the night by noise from the corridor and neighboring rooms.

So all in all we got very little sleep in this humid, sticky room.

Bathroom was a decent size but lacked that important magnifying mirror. Water pressure in the shower was decent.

Fitness centre is small and has a low ceiling making it an unpleasant workout venue.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was probably the best part of our one night stay. Staff were helpful, service fast and a very decent buffet offering.

Car parking, what a rip off! We would have been better off finding an on street option. £18 for 12 hours.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple