“Everything you expect from a Hilton....”
Review of Hilton Belfast

Hilton Belfast
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Suffolk
“Everything you expect from a Hilton....”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

A three day, two night trip to Belfast on business found me staying at the Hilton. The hotel is easy to find, and has a private (but connected to the hotel receiption via a link way on the second level) car park right next door.

On arrival, reception was quiet and I was soon on my way to my room on the 7th floor well away from the lifts as requested. My room looked out towards the east, with the river directly outside, the large yellow Harland and Wolff shipyard cranes around a mile away, and I could also see the hills in the distance.

The room was a good size with a single king bed. A comfy chair and footrest complimented the more functional work desk chair at the table. I was pleased to see plenty of electrical sockets, including (not that I needed them) European and US styles available – when travelling abroad I really appreciate this aspect of the work desks at Hilton hotels. There was also a room mini bar fridge. Confusingly this had a notice asking you not to put personal items in it, but then on two of the shelves inside there were signs saying the empty space was for your own items. I do appreciate the sensors in these fridges register if you take anything out and charge you, but the conflicting notices were somewhat confusing.

The bathroom was a decent size, but unfortunately only had a shower over the bath with a shower curtain. There was plenty of hot water with decent pressure during my stay here. Elsewhere in the bathroom there was a sink and toilet, with a decent sized and well lit accessible mirror for shaving etc. There was a tiny bit of black mold on the bath sealant and grout in my room, and the hall carpets were a little old and tired in places, but in general the upkeep and maintenance of the hotel was good.

My colleagues and I ate at the restaurant one evening, and whilst this was pleasant enough our recent experience at the Morblas seafood and grill at the Hilton in Glasgow made this a hard act to follow. We also ate breakfast here, and my special order of poached eggs on toast was quickly delivered each day. A few other items from the hot buffet bar made a very filling breakfast that set us up for the rest of the day.

We did get to experience the bar one evening, and the bar tender was excellent at mixing cocktails - some of which were new to me but my colleagues assure me they were absolutely perfect. At one point the bar tender had to go and get some fresh basil leaves from the restaurant kitchen, sometime after midnight, but this was not an issue and some strange concoction was delivered to my appreciative colleague shortly thereafter.

The only minor issue we did experience was when returning very late one morning; at around 2:30am (we had been working late, so were quite sober!). The door from the car park to the hotel lobby was locked. We did ring the hotel but there was no reply. In the end we ventured down to the ground floor where the 24 hour manned car park pay kiosk attendant let us out of the roller shuttered doors onto the road. From here we had to make our way outside to the main hotel entrance. I’m not sure who or what is being protected by shutting this door to the car park, especially as the revolving door to the hotel reception was unlocked and the front desk was unattended?

There is no swimming pool here, which was the only thing I would suggest is missing from this great hotel. Centrally placed to explore Belfast, this hotel is recommended for the business traveller or holiday visitor alike. The friendly and helpful staff here are a real asset, most appear to be locals and they made some great recommendations for dining in town on our second evening.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors for better view - east is better than west IMO.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CISSP_on_tour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
armagh, N.Ireland
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here. My 1st time was about 4 years ago and back then I thought it was pleasant enough - enough to think I would be happy to spend my wedding anniversary weekend there.
I only have one positive for the hotel and that is the staff we encountered who were all helpful and friendly. Especially the lady (I think her name was Mary) and the young guy in the executive lounge who are a credit to the hotel.
Now onto the negatives and boy were they major negatives in my opinion. I just hope management read the reviews as they 'seriously' need to get on top of the housekeeping department. The standard of cleaning in the room was disgusting (see photos) and we were in an executive studio. How they get away with it is beyond me - does housekeeping not do a check of the rooms before guests check into them??
Also housekeeping staff talking and making noise by banging doors early in the morning when you're trying to have a lie in is not appreciated.
Then there is the executive lounge which is limited in choice and is not replenished quickly enough. In all fairness to the staff though they were run off their feet as the lounge was full. We actually went down to the main breakfast in the restaurant on the 2nd morning to get a better standard of breakfast and even that was just ok. Again the staff in here were very pleasant.
There were alot of tourists staying at the hotel - we encountered American, Australian, Scottish and English which is great to see in Belfast but I just felt that there were so many other (cleaner) hotels in the area to really showcase what this wee country has to offer. Only for the staff we encountered this hotel would be a shambles. And only we got our room at a special price which was prepaid we would have left after the first night and stayed somewhere else. Our deal was called 'The Great Getaway' and I certainly couldn't getaway fast enough and will never be back sorry to say.

3 Thank chocpud33
craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

On arrival, we were upgraded to executive comfort, enjoying a large, clean and comfortable room. We had a luxury meal in the sonoma restaurant, and enjoyed a drink at the bar, where service was first class. Breakfast was filling, but i was disappointed that food and plates were not replenished fast enough.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Karla M
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Complimentary upgrade on arrival - room clean and comfortable - hadd dinner in Sonoma restaurant - staff excellent and food very good. Breakfast the following morning - excellent choice and staff again very attentive

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Jackie551726
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in a spacious King Executive Suite on the 12th floor (1215), with a fantastic view across the Lagan/city and access to the executive lounge on the 11th floor.

Breakfast at Sonoma was everything one would expect from Hilton - the staff, ambience and hot chocolate were very pleasant indeed.

Great reservations/reception/concierge team and attractive common areas.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ballymena
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights in an 'executive deluxe room' costing £438. There was a great view of the city from the room, but the room itself looked very 'tired' and in need of a thorough deep clean and the room service trays sat in the corridor ALL day. The breakfast was definitely not up to the Hilton standard that I have previously had at this hotel...everything was deep fried and when my husband asked for the kippers that were on the breakfast menu he was informed that he would have to pay extra for them because our 'deal' did not cover items on the menu, just the fried stuff!!! ALSO we were charged £2.75 for our complimentary bottle of water in our room.
On the positive side, the staff were friendly and efficient but we will not be returning to this hotel ... the Days Hotel @ £48 per room per night gave us exactly the same as the Hilton @ £219 per room per night

1 Thank misspiggybimbo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel looked tired on the outside, but luckily their rooms were not. Stayed in a twin room with a view across the river. WiFi connection was okay. I had to log in a few times which was a little annoying.
Had a 2 course dinner at the restaurant, and the food was delicious. Portion was small though.
Hotel is located near the central train station, and St.George market. If you are doing Belfast Hop-on Hop-off tour, they can pick you up at Hilton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family