“Attentive staff, but distracting party elsewhere in the building”
Review of Belfast Castle

City Sightseeing Belfast Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with 48-Hour Pass
Ranked #30 of 233 things to do in Belfast
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Majestic castle dating back to 1870.
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Booked for a working meal, it was quite distracting for the better part of the night as a different function kicked off in more than one way. I left somewhat disappointed - and somewhat hungry as the vegan option was a small salad with sliced beetroot and an overly sweet dressing. Not what I would ever want to order. Indeed, I do not eat beetroot. And there was no appreciation that a vegan would not wish to eat ice cream.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The brasserie in the basement is the best thing about the place - its shop and bar - all great. Upstairs is too big. The location, the view and the gardens make this one of the best venues for a wedding reception.

2  Thank MervynLogan
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Belfast Castle is a fabulous venue for a wedding reception - stunning views, etc... but the wedding catering????

At my daughter’s wedding reception, Belfast Castle, Oct 2012, I expected good food, not mass catering that was probably contracted out as cheaply as possible.

Canapés: The vol-au-vents looked old, tasted stale. The fish contained bones that had to be removed from one’s mouth in public. Two guests ran to the toilets to spit out the prosciutto, describing it as slimy and disgusting.

Starter: the chicken Caesar salad's “home made” croutons were stale, soft and obviously not home made. The chicken bits had that taste of 2-day-old chicken, and mine had almost no dressing while my daughter’s was overloaded with dressing. Other guests mentioned the dressing problem and the stale chicken.

Main: I had the most unusual looking salmon “en-croute” I have ever had the misfortune to eat. My filo was completely raw. I suspect the salmon was cooked the day before then wrapped in filo and microwaved. It was grey, translucent and cutting it was like cutting through thin leather. My daughter, the bride, exchanged hers for the beef. I would have done the same only I did not want to draw further attention to the problem.

The beef was ok as were the desserts.

One lady had a vegan meal, later began vomiting all night. She drank only white wine with the meal so her illness was not drink related. She commented that it was the worst tasting vegan meal she had ever eaten; the word she used was “disgusting”.

Another guest described how he had seen a waiter drop potatoes on the floor, scoop them up and put them back into the serving tray.

We received a substantial refund plus apology from Castle Catering but this will never fix the embarrassment and damage done. My advice: sample everything on the day before it gets near the table.

5  Thank xandrasong
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We try to go to Belfast a few times a year. One of the main attractions is the TISO shop in Cornmarket. I found it a number of years ago and have worn a track to it. I look forward to each visit to replace gear in need of replacement or to top up what I already have. It is impressive at many levels. The staff are all involved in outdoor activities and the products are well tested. I shop there mainly because of their sound advice and I am guaranteed to find the best of the latest products reasonably priced. I'm a hill walker and depend on good gear when I am out on the hills for 10 -12 hours in all conditions. On my recent visit I was introduced to RAB and bought a cleverly designed windproof jacket which will serve me well for many years of hillwalking and more.... The previous time I was introduced to Icebreaker thermal wear made from 100% merino wool. On this trip I hoped to purchase two tops but found they didn't have my size. Mary Mernagh, the kind lady who assisted me knew I was disappointed and phoned another UK shop to see if they had my size... The tops are in the post. There is no push to make you buy something you don't need. Instead what you get is something which improves the quality of your outdoor experience as a result of top class advice. I am very grateful to the good people who staff this shop and to TISO for coming to Ireland. What about opening a shop in Dublin or Cork? There are lots of walkers, cyclists, swimmers, backpackers etc etc who would wear tracks to it.

1  Thank CorkSculptor
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Every time I am in Belfast, I visit Belfast Castle. It’s quite a long drive from the city centre (15-20min) and it’s not very easy to find, but it is worth it! Especially on the sunny day! Most of the city of Belfast and the bay are on the palm of your hand!
Built in 1870 by the Third Marquis of Donegal, this flamboyant building is situated on the outskirts of Belfast, in Cave Hill Country Park. Don’t hesitate to ask locals for the directions, they ARE friendly!
By the way, if you are there at Christmas period, enjoy an enchanted tour of the Castle.
Tickets available at Belfast Castle reception £3 per person includes tour and refreshments. Booking is essential, group bookings may be taken with a maximum of ten people per group. But there are only few dates available, so check at the reception first: 028 9077 6925.
P.S. Ask about the white cat. There are nine of them in the gardens!

1  Thank Guennady K