“not a 3* hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
derry
“not a 3* hotel”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Hotel itself was in an ideal location central to the shops & bus depot! The hotel reception was lovely made the hotel look appear a lot nicer than what it actually was.
The staff were lovely and very helpful at reception, I arrived at 10 past four to be informed my room was not ready only had to wait five minutes although I was surprised at this because we were late to check in.
the room itself was big, but it smelt of smoke, the beds had not been cornered or made properly, doing this job myself i know how it should look.
the bathroom was not particularly clean either the toilet seat was dirty and had hair around it, also the bath tub had hair around and the tub was wet. The floor looked like it hadn't been mopped as well. I was very disappointed with this as I expected more from a 3* Hotel. I've stayed in 1* hotels that were cleaner than this one.
The walls are very thin i could hear the room next's doors conversation word for word and more at night people were running up and down the halls at all hours of the morning.
Another shock for me was that you had to pay £10 for wifi!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
lisburn
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is an ideal location to city centre it is reasonably priced with that in mind. Rooms are basic but very clean, staff seem very busy and there is not much atmosphere in the hotel but it is good value and provides what is needed. Would recommended for a convenient stay if you are not looking anything fancy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 2, 2013

reception staff were extremely unwelcoming and unhelpful, there was a mix up with my online booking but no one seemed to care, i wasted most of my day making phone calls trying to sort it out myself. Hotel is in a good location but i would not recommend this hotel because of the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ryan F, General Manager at Jurys Inn Belfast, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to learn that there was a mix up with your online booking and you also found my reception team unfriendly. To minimise the risk of this happening again I would be most grateful if you could let me know your booking details, so I can follow this up with the agent concerned. My reception team are a very friendly bunch and I would also be keen to find out who you spoke to during your stay as this standard of service is not what we are about here in Belfast.
Please accept my apologises again and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Regards
Ryan Foster
ryan_foster@jurysinns.com
Ireland
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I don't know which was colder...the hotel lobby or the staff. The place was empty but the staff were running around like headless chickens ignoring the customers standing waiting! The reception staff could not have been more unfriendly if they tried.

The room was very very basic and total atmosphereless. There was apparently a choice of pillows but all 5 pillows in the room, even the supposed soft ones, were like bricks! The bathroom was....need I say more other than I will NEVER stay here again.

One last thing...we ordered a bottle of Prosecco at £30 and it was given to us at room temperature. I don't think the barman knew what he was giving us!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank feedee61
Ryan F, General Manager at Jurys Inn Belfast, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry your stay was not what you expected but I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly, so I can ascertain the date and room number you stayed in. I would also like to know which members of my team you encountered during your stay so I can follow up on the points you mentioned in your review.

Apologises again and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Regards
Ryan Foster
ryan_foster@jurysinns.com
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

OK, so I stayed in February which is not exactly high season - but the cost was similar to one of those so-called Hotels with clueless staff and limited service. This is an actual, proper Hotel.
Location is excellent.

Room Tip: Go high - there can be a bit of noise outside. Also, rooms could be better sound insulated.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The staff were very helpful and courteous. However, the hotel itself had a run down look. Our room was really cold - you had to be in bed in a jumper to feel warm! Breakfast was pretty revolting and I avoided it on the second morning. There was no room service. It also appeared to be hotel policy to tidy but not fully clean the rooms if you were staying more than one night. So no clean glasses, no clean towels. We had a bottle of wine from the hotel bar and the empty bottle was just left there. All in all - not even worthy of a budget hotel and certainly not deserving of its 3 star rating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Beth K
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at Jurys in Belfast several months ago. We were in an upper-floor room with a window that looked out over a courtyard. Early the first morning, casks of beer were delivered, with the delivery man dropping metal barrels onto the cobblestones of the courtyard one by one by one ... dozens of them. CRASH rumble rumble rumble .. CRASH rumble rumble ... On vacation, we like to sleep later than 7 a.m. We complained to the desk and were told that the beer was delivered only every couple of days and it wouldn't happen again during our stay. The next day at the SAME time there was another delivery, not of beer, but of food ... no crash, but the metal trolleys were rolled back and forth across the cobblestones, making loud noises again.
It was totally unnecessary! Why unload in an open courtyard bordered by the guest rooms?
ALSO -- we parked on the side street right next to the hotel and planned to leave the car there overnight. The signs seemed to indicate that it would be OK, but just to be sure, we asked at the front desk and were told, "Oh no! You can't park your car there!" Before moving the car, we took a taxi to meet some friends and asked the cab driver about it. He said of course we could park there. So we did, and the car was fine until he morning.
After returning home, we received an email survey asking about our stay. I told them about being awakened by the crashing twice, and about being told that we could not park on the street when we could (and did). I received an email saying that they could not control deliveries, and they were sorry that we had received a parking ticket. So, way to fail reading comprehension too. Next time, we plan to stay at the Europa!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the street rather than the interior courtyard
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple