“walls of the falls”

Book In Advance
More Info
$36.64*
and up
Belfast Combination Ticket: Titanic Belfast Admission and 48-Hour Hop-On...
Ranked #20 of 225 things to do in Belfast
Coagh
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“walls of the falls”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

some nice murals capturing the feelings of the community in this republican heartland. place is worth a visit most locals drive or walk thorugh it and never notice the murals etc but to a visiting tourist well worth a bus tour through the area just to say you been here.

Visited January 2013

272 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 256 helpful votes
“Worth a brief visit”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The only reason you will have any need to visit here is because of the history that has gone on so as long as you make it a brief visit you will complete the political tour of Belfast by stopping here.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Preyom
belfast
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“why bother”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you want to be depressed and wonder what it was all about then go ahead It is a soul less working class area with nothing to offer. I lived there and got out

Visited March 2013
13 Thank socoBelfast
Sunderland, United Kingdom
186 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 496 helpful votes
“ok, to tour but be aware.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We spent the day exploring the Falls Road area having heard so much about it and having read several books on the "troubles". It's a great area to explore but please before you arrive check with someone perhaps in your hotel or tourist board that there isn't a demonstration going on. People with cameras who are not known may not be welcome or even assaulted things can turn nasty quickly here if your face doesn't fit.

In saying that we drove and walked around all the murals. Some good ones on the Whitrock road just off the Falls. I would not recommend you visit at night or if any kind of demo/celebration/ etc is going on or if anything is happening in the area thar may involve alcohol. If you don't believe me, theres a reason the Police still parol here in armoured vehicles and carry machine guns!

Finaly bear in mind everything you read here is one sided; some of the things may be grounded in truth but much is distorted and any real historian would tell you the real facts behind the murals etc. But as a study in social hitory and the history of Belfast/ NI/ UK it is a must see

In summary, watch your security, things can go wrong very fast here especialy where alcohol is involved and have an open mind as to what people are trying to represent or misrepresent.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank JohnSunderlandUk
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“An amazing day - felt completely welcome and at home”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I visited Belfast with my 75 yr old Aunt in Nov 2012 - we only had two days and I wish that I could have stayed longer.

We started our day with a Black Cab tour - Pat our driver was informative and was able to answer questions both from my Aunt who had limited history of the area and me who has followed the troubles.

After the Tour which took us through both the Shankhill and Falls areas, I caught a bus back up the Falls Rd - my aunt stayed in the city.

I spent the most wonderful and memorable day wandering the area. I stopped and looked at the murals, the many memorials, visited the Sinn Fein shop, the Repulican Museum and went in and out of shops and cafes to get food, newspapers, drinks, cups of tea etc. I cannot praise the friendliness and welcome from the locals that I received enough.

I am always willing to have a chat and found that the average person was interested in what I was doing and where in Australia I lived. They were also keen to know what I thought of Belfast and their area.

I never felt depressed or unsafe - the only time I thought I should get a move on was when it was getting dark and beginning to rain - only so I didn't get lost and saturated.

I was able to find a taxi to take me back to my B&B - again he was keen to talk about Belfast, Australia and how both the North and the Republic are faring in these troubled economic times.

I will return to this city. I was a teenager during the height of the troubles and never thought that I would visist in more peaceful times. I felt safe and welcomed - Belfast is still a city like anyother and so as a solo female traveller I am sensible.

Visited November 2012