“Good spot of lunch at a charming cafe”
Review of Cafe Renoir

Cafe Renoir
Ranked #465 of 1,113 Restaurants in Belfast
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This lovely café near the Ulster Museum and Botanic Gardens was a pleasant treat a friend took me to for lunch the other day. The prices were very decent and the size of the meals we had were plentiful. I like the idea of having the food come out on boards instead of plates; it went well with the relaxed country/earthy theme of the café. I did enjoy our lunch at the café and would recommend to any families and groups of friends looking for a nice independent café to go for a lunch while touring the area.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Called to Cafe Renoir on monday evening to use two treat ticket vouchers which we had bought. Had been there 6 months earlier and bought pizzas which my nephew had raved about, the reason why I purchased the vouchers. Had to wait for 20 minutes to be served a coffee and a glass of wine while we waited. When we finally got pizza, we were extremely disappointed. Three were completely left and had to be put in the bin. I don't know what they had done but the base was covered in black soot like stuff that when you lifted a slice your fingers were covered in black dust which you couldnt get off!! The toppings were fine and the base wasn't burnt. it was just this layer of dust that covered the bottom of the pizza!!. It was as if the base had been set on top of charcoal and had retained all the ash. Definitely would not go back. Complete waste of my money.Great improvement needed.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Me and my friends from school went to Renoir for breakfast before school last week.
We all ordered a big breakfast. and big it was.
no grease swimming round the plate, tasty sausages and a free tea in the price.

We will definitely be back.

Thanks guys

Reviewed January 8, 2014

A group of us girls had a booking for this establishment last Friday night. Having never tried here before, we thought it looked like a lovely wee restaurant to try out.
On arrival, we were seated near the entrance and shown the limited Christmas menu. We were offered drinks immediately, but a long period of time passed before the waitress came to take our order. It was only then that they informed us they were out of both steak, and chunky chips. A little bit of a let down to be honest. Most of the group went for burgers, and another a pepperoni pizza.
The food was presented nice, however half way through the meal, we discovered that one of the burgers had not been cooked through properly. This was brought to the attention of the waitress, who explained that it wasn’t raw meat, rather a collection of some of the spices (?). She immediately offered a new burger, and this arrived about fifteen minutes later. The pepperoni pizza was rather greasy, and only partially cooked.

Putting dinner aside, the group were willing to have some desserts and coffees. Again, a long time past before the plates were cleared, and the dessert menus brought down. We all selected different desserts and coffees, but these seemed to take a very long to appear, and when they did they were delivered slowly bit by bit.
They had run out of cinnamon for the steamer and they caked the banoffee dessert in cream. When most of the desserts had been brought down to the table, the waitress informed us they had run out of both vanilla and chocolate ice-cream and would not be able to make up the sundaes. Laughable that on a Friday night, a restaurant could not have steak, chunky chips, ice-cream, or cinnamon for a steamer.

A few of the girls went up to use the bathroom. Unfortunately the men’s toilet was out of order, and we had to share the ladies toilet with the men. Nothing like doing your make-up, while a man squeezes past to use the bog.

The times on the restaurant state they are open until 11pm on a Friday night, however the waitress made it clear to a group coming in at 9.15 they would be closing within 15 minutes. Nothing like feeling your night is coming to an end before you want it to.

Although we still had a good night with good company, none of us were impressed by the overall experience that we had received here. We requested the bill, and laughed that they wanted to charge 10% service charge as it was a group over 6. The waitress brought out the manager who seemed rather blank and not forthcoming with apologies about the restaurant.

He was quick to blame his supplier for the lack of food. We asked why the restaurant was closing early, and he said that as January is a “quiet” month, they had considered closing at 5pm, but was none of their bookings had left their numbers, they had to honour their bookings. As a group who had left a number on booking, this was nothing but a ridiculous excuse.

The waitresses never seemed too pushed to serve a large group, and although polite, their customer service could do with a reworking. Simple things requested such as coke with no ice, or decaffeinated coffee were completely blanked, and we ended up with coke & ice, and a regular coffee. It wouldn’t have harmed to mention pre-ordering what they had in stock, rather than getting our hopes up for steak sandwiches, and sundaes only to have these dashed later.

As someone who works in the industry, I find this level of waitressing lazy, and the level of management disgusting. If a restaurant can’t get their supplier in check, and just wish to a close on a Friday night, then they should just close and be done with it. As a customer, I don’t appreciate the half-efforted evening that we experienced. Thankfully Botanic has some other lovely restaurants who will get repeat business, but not cafe renoir.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have been coming into Renoir for many years.
Every year the management changes but it stays consistent. The manager at the moment who has been here for a few years is fantastic. He is a bloke and not a girl as pointed out in a previous negative post. Him and his staff are lovely and friendly and can't do enough for people as I can see while sitting drinking coffee. While the place is dated and old fashioned it could do with a makeover as it looks dirty but isn't. However it has a lovely atmosphere making me feel at home and not in a hurry to leave, especially as I can get a fry and unlimited coffee for £6.
I only come in for breakfast and lunch so can't comment on dinner. But I have never had a bad meal so to speak. Sometimes the chips are a tad soggy or the eggs are overdone but 9 times out of 10 it is perfect. It looks like it depends on what chef you get.
The staff have changed a bit recently and that's no bad thing. They are just as lovely as the old staff and I am able to chat to them as well. One thing I do find odd is that they used to do pizza at lunch and now don't. I would love that to come back as they where fantastic. Other than that I will continue to come in for my breaky and lunch.