“Good Attempt but Lags behind”
Review of Harlem Cafe

Harlem Cafe
Ranked #50 of 1,116 Restaurants in Belfast
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I like the premise of Harlem much more than the experience. I've had mixed reviews from friends and looked online a lot for other peoples views before eating here and have to say it looks the part but doesnt fulfil on its potential. Everything is presented really well but the substance, service, food, atmosphere just doesnt cut it. I get the feeling that the owner has taken a look at the other kitch restaurants in town and thought they could do it better, but IMHO they have fallen short of the mark. Really great location but every venture here seems to be troubled, hope thats not the case for Harlem because with a little less focus on presence and more on quality this could be something special.

1  Thank spdm7326
Write a ReviewReviews (1,203)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I called in for a coffee to meet someone.Arrived a bit early and waited as instructed by the blackboard .Three staff came over and asked me if I was being looked after.At the sametime the owner was admonishing staff for hanging around when coffee was being served up . Got a good table and there is a genuinev buzz in this place .It was a Monday afternoon and you would have thought it was a Friday night.Just a lovely atmosphere All sorts of people enjoying a meal or a simple coffee.The coffee was great and again about three people asked us for our order after we had ordered and again the same guys kept checking in on us . Just need to work on table staff allocation and a system for guests .
Definitely will be back for some of the food which looked good .Had lunch here sometime ago and It was fine.

2  Thank Liketogetoutandabout
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went to the Harlem Cafe this morning with friends for breakfast. I love the decor and it's so refreshing to be met by friendly staff. We ordered a full fry, an egg breakfast, French toast and a croissant with tea and coffee. Everything came quite promptly and looked very appetising. Unfortunately our food must have been sitting out for some time as it was really quite cold. It was only the fact that we were being treated to breakfast that stopped me from complaining. It was such a shame after it had been recommended to us and our friends were only in Belfast for that day. Also we noticed that the food hygiene rating was only a 4 so something wrongbthere! I would go back but next time I will definitely tell them that I would like my breakfast freshly cooked and hot, as I don't think it was on this occasion! All in all a bit of a let down for such a lovely place.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been going for lunch to this fantastic spot from it opened, and each and every time I go whether it's with friends or family I'm impressed. Always busy, owner usually in attendance with her usual welcome, calm and poise. Food tasty and well presented and nothing is too much trouble-lunch or morning coffee is a must in delectable surroundings! Don't miss out!

1  Thank heatheri706
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This cafe is wonderful!! and their food is amazing i'm so glad I found this place and will be back again for more gluten free options.

1  Thank Keeva F