“Coffee”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Harlem Cafe

Harlem Cafe
Ranked #4 of 85 Coffee & Tea in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, European, British, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Coffee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I called in for a coffee to meet someone.Arrived a bit early and waited as instructed by the blackboard .Three staff came over and asked me if I was being looked after.At the sametime the owner was admonishing staff for hanging around when coffee was being served up . Got a good table and there is a genuinev buzz in this place .It was a Monday afternoon and you would have thought it was a Friday night.Just a lovely atmosphere All sorts of people enjoying a meal or a simple coffee.The coffee was great and again about three people asked us for our order after we had ordered and again the same guys kept checking in on us . Just need to work on table staff allocation and a system for guests .
Definitely will be back for some of the food which looked good .Had lunch here sometime ago and It was fine.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Liketogetoutandabout

Northern Ireland
“Quirky cafe but a bit on the cool side!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Harlem Cafe this morning with friends for breakfast. I love the decor and it's so refreshing to be met by friendly staff. We ordered a full fry, an egg breakfast, French toast and a croissant with tea and coffee. Everything came quite promptly and looked very appetising. Unfortunately our food must have been sitting out for some time as it was really quite cold. It was only the fact that we were being treated to breakfast that stopped me from complaining. It was such a shame after it had been recommended to us and our friends were only in Belfast for that day. Also we noticed that the food hygiene rating was only a 4 so something wrongbthere! I would go back but next time I will definitely tell them that I would like my breakfast freshly cooked and hot, as I don't think it was on this occasion! All in all a bit of a let down for such a lovely place.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“The cafe to be part of!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been going for lunch to this fantastic spot from it opened, and each and every time I go whether it's with friends or family I'm impressed. Always busy, owner usually in attendance with her usual welcome, calm and poise. Food tasty and well presented and nothing is too much trouble-lunch or morning coffee is a must in delectable surroundings! Don't miss out!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank heatheri706
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This cafe is wonderful!! and their food is amazing i'm so glad I found this place and will be back again for more gluten free options.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Keeva F
Ireland
“Lovely but a few little suggestions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Have been to the Harlem a few times for breakfast and lunch which have all been lovely , lovely food and atmosphere and brilliant service .

Since we had such nice times before I decided to bring some Italian friends who where visting on a Friday evening. We arrived and seated to a lovely table ordered some drinks and settled in for the evening for a long over due catch up . It soon came to light that this was right beside a member of staff polishing cultery the constant clattering of the cultery was extremely noisey and the noise interupted our conversation on numerous occassions , we were going to ask to move seats but every seat was taken.
I should also note that the member of staff polishing the cultery was right the middle of the restaurant surely this should be done in a section of the kitchen or away from the main restaurant so it isnt so noisey and interupting peoples conversation . I must also note the polishing of the cultrey lasted the full length of time where there almost two hours.

We ordered a Charcuterie Board which was very disappointing as it was fully of loads of white hard bread , no other choice of bread on the board , it was also far too much lettuce, the selections of olives where very few and not a mixture of olives and I thought it could have done with a little bit of cheese, chutney and possibly a few crackers , we had to order a separate cheese board as the Charcuterie board was so disappointing especially priced at nearly £13 and the additional cheese board was nearly £8 , The meats on the Charcuterie Board were also slightly greasey . Would advise you to avoid the Charcuterie board unless it has a revamp on the above .

We ordered a Carrott Carrott cake but found this to be very dry even with the additional cream .

I would suggest the Chef updates the Charcuterie Board including a little bit of cheese , cutney ,crackers and more mixed olives and peppers and possible some humous and bread sticks I wouldnt even mind paying extra for this but the board we were served was very dispointing from a food perspective .

It would be lovely to see a "Tapas" style sections to the evening menu a mixture of tapas would be lovely to order along with a craft of Sangria and I think this would particularly appeal to the ladies that lunch/dine on a Friday evening or Saturday evening .

All in all the above are only some suggestions of my previous visit I still think that Harlem is streams above the rest of the Cafes/restaurants in the Belfast area just some suggestions for minor additions etc.

Visited January 2013