“A little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Muriels Cafe Bar

Muriels Cafe Bar
Ranked #2 of 85 Coffee & Tea in Belfast
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, British, Pub, Irish, European
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Golden Mile
Luton, United Kingdom
“A little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I came upon Muriel's Bar while I was staying in Belfast on business in the very busy run up to Christmas. I'd been doing some early evening Christmas shopping and was in desperate need of a drink. It was very busy but the lady behind the bar looked at the security TV and told me that a seat had just become free upstairs. She could see that I was struggling with a briefcase and shopping bags so she offered to bring my Guinness up to me - a really nice gesture, which was appreciated. Although a little dark, the upstairs area was like stepping back in time with a very tasteful décor - it was almost like having a drink in someone's sitting room. The lady behind the bar was constantly up and down serving drinks and food and when she saw that I was coming to the end of my pint, she offered to bring me up another. I have to say that I have never experienced such 'hands on' service in a pub and I will certainly be back the next time I'm in Belfast.

• Visited December 2013

• Greek first
newtownards,n.ireland
“quirky and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

my wife and i had lunch here recently,and really enjoyed it.the food is good and great value,and the staff are really friendly and attentive.the place is eccentric which gives it so much charm,really to be recommended.

• Visited November 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Possibly the best bar in Belfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Muriels is always on the top of my list to vist when I return home. It is probably the best bar in the city. Its quirky, eccentric style adds to the craic that is always had. A really good selection of beers, cocktails and gin.

The staff are always polite, professional and not shy of engaging in a wee bit of banter.

Looking forward to my next visit in the Summer of 2014.

Thank you.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank dBa X
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Great Gin, bar service poor!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had a great table upstairs in this lovely little bar with excellent service from the manageress. The food was of average bar quality but the variety of gins and the knowledge and helpfulness from the manageress was fantastic!
Later in the evening on trying to get served at the bar the whole atmosphere of the evening changed. We waited around 20 minutes to get served as staff served only those who were drinking at the bar. The bar man was rude and confrontational when we told him we had been waiting such a long time and suggested that we should have pushed our way in! When we took our drinks to the table we came back down and had to queue again to pay. We tried this twice and again had to wait a huge amount of time so gave up and sat back down. The bar man approached our table pointing at my friend and accusing our table of not paying for our drinks. He shouted this out so all the other tables could hear and became very confrontational. We tried to explain that we had tried to pay however he pointed and shouted again at my friend! This behaviour in my book is highly unacceptable. On asking him to see the manageress he explained that she was too busy to come up stairs, however on asking another member of staff she arrived within a couple of minutes. We receivd an apology from her however I'm not sure if I will be in a great rush to return unfortunately.
A great start to the night unfortunately ruined by a rude bar man!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Loouisiana
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Always on the list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Lovely little bar for lunch throughout the day or drinks in the evening. Love the story behind this wee bar, make's this place even more unique. Very friendly staff and good bar tenders with a big selection on Gin's. Generally good choice of food and nice portions. Always on my list when in Belfast.

• Visited November 2013