“Excellent hostel”
Review of Lagan Backpackers

Lagan Backpackers
Ranked #11 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Belfast
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here for three nights and had a brilliant time! The cooked breakfast included in the price was an unexpected surprise. You usually get bread, cheese and cereal in most places. The breakfast was better than most hotels I've stayed in. Steve is excellent at helping you with your stay. He will sort out the black taxi tour and tours to the giants causeway that pick you up right outside. There’s also a beer vending machine and the hostel encourages everyone to meet and talk with group meals etc. Only downside was the strange French boy who hoovers your room even if you’re asleep in bed. I found this more amusing than annoying though. Excellent location - would definitely stay again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 11, 2013

LOVED this place. This was the first hostel I'd ever stayed at and it set the bar extremely high. The nightly cookouts were a great way to meet new friends, and the free breakfast was great. They set up a bus tour for us to see Carrick-a-Reede and the Giant's Causeway which was fantastic. The entire hostel group ended up heading out to pubs together and having a great time. Would absolutely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hostel is small enough to make the atmosphere really friendly - sort of like a little family for the three days I was there, especially traveling solo! Really well organised, clean, secure - everything you could ask for! Free hot breakfast in the mornings!

But the staff is really what makes this hostel one of the best I've ever stayed in. Thanks so much to Steve, Shona and especially Alice - you guys are the best. Thanks!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Having previously stayed at another really good hostel in Belfast I came here a little reluctantly as the other one was full. I am so glad I came here. Excellent location, extremely friendly and helpful staff, friendly and relaxed atmosphere and clean facilities. There were lockers in the rooms, free wifi, free cooked breakfast, and I even got a free paella dinner on the first night which was perfect for meeting fellow travellers. They do your laundry got you for £4 if you want as well. I absolutely loved my stay here and felt very welcome, especially thanks to the staff, namely Aussie chick Alice. Will definitely recommend to all my friends!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My friend and I decided to stay at this hostel once again. We had previously been here in 2011 and since we had a positive experience we decided to come back. This time we found out that they have a pin code locks. I dunno if I was so much into the idea, but it was alright. They also seem to have repainted some of the interior walls as well. Our room was comfortable but smaller than last time. The free breakfast is a great plus and add to the value. We also found there were other Finns at the same time and a Finnish staff member, so that was nice. I did see one rat or a mouse running during breakfast in the inner "back yard" where the grill is. So I thought that was kind of awful.. I hope there isn't any. All in all staff is helpful and they give you good piece of advice if you ask them. Do the Black taxi tour. It was worth going!

Room Tip: Room number 13 is the best.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Lagan backpackers staff are wonderful! They are really helpful, always around and very friendly. The rooms were really clean and so were the bathrooms. We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed the breakfast that was included in the cheap rate and we also got a free dinner of paella and free drinks! 24 hr tea and coffee facilities are available as well. Great value for money. The location is great and it's easy to walk pretty much everywhere. The security in the rooms was great with a key pad to gain entry.

Room Tip: Room 13 was really lovely with a sky light.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Lagan backpackers went out of its way to provide excellent facilities for its guests! Not only the price is low (15 GBP per night for the double room that i stayed in), the bathroom was amazing compared to the previous 5 hostels that i have stayed in during this trip. It has plenty ( i found 6 in 2 floors only :)) with hotel like cleanliness.

Moreover, the hostel also provided FREE hot breakfast that you can choose from 5 menus (full english breakfast, toasts and jams, porridge and something and i forgot the other 2) as well as cheap communal dinner every night. This gave you chance to mingle around to meet new people.

The location itself is good. It is located near convenience shop that has atm machine. It is also close to Some Belfast attractions including Queen University (highly recommended to take pictures there) as well as Botanic Garden and Ulster Museum (free entry). You can also take scenery walk to the city centre (around 20-30 mins) but alternatively, the hostel is close to many bus stops to city centre.

Lastly, the owner was pretty helpful. Once you checked in, he will give you some advice and directions to go around Belfast. He will gladly help you to book any tours around Belfast and you can also ask him for directions to places. Even if he didnt know, he will google it and advise you how to best reach it ( unfortunately i didn't ask for his name)

One thing that it lacks is the sound proof. I often woke in the middle of the night because other guests that had just came back from drinking etc will talk loudly outside the building and can be clearly heard from my room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends