“Great hostel, definitely recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lagan Backpackers

Lagan Backpackers
“Great hostel, definitely recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were a group of four, 2 guys and 2 girls, and we loved our stay here.. The rooms were clean, showers were hot, wifi was great, and they have a free HOT breakfast. Great hostel vibe.. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in a twin private room. First the good things: Very friendly and cooperative stuff, very good breakfast, working hot shower.

Would have loved to give a better rating, but this place is in a very bad condition. The bathroom was disgusting, stinking of mould and wet as a dripstone cave. All the time you were in there, water was dripping from the ceiling. There must be some problem with ventilation. (The other bathroom i checked was mouldy as well, in the third the door latch was broken). Sheets and furniture looked really old and rundown. All night we were fearing for the old Velux Window to crash on us, because it looked so rotten.

We could not feel comfortable in this place. Hope there will be some improvements soon... I've been at like 20 something hostels before and this one was amongst the poorest places.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sdoe13
Syktyvkar, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

For 8 days this place became my home - real home,with family and my warm cozy bed. It's one of the few hostels where I've never encountered a single problem with showers - no waiting (yep,really lots of showers), the temperature is up to u,adjust it as u want. The staff were easy-going,ready to help(even with cooking) and join u in a pub or in watching a movie. Definitely a family atmosphere. Btw,u can choose the type of breakfast u want. When in Belfast - Lagan Backpackers! Best hostel I've stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Really kind staff there and fabulous breakfast. The location is not very near the city center, but you know, the Belfast is small. You can walk to city center in about 10 minutes. But there are some noise from other customer during the night. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The cooker is really good. We enjoy several dinner there, it is cheap (only £3 for dinner) and delicious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
St. Neots, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good location, although parking was on the side of the road and a bit of a nightmare at times, we stayed here for a couple of nights in an 11 bed dorm and something that struck us as a bit silly was that we weren't assigned to beds, they told us to go upstairs and choose one, then let them know which one we were in, however the dorm was such as mess, with people's possessions thrown all over the place that we weren't sure which ones were free. In light of this, when we went out through the day, my friend and I would make it obvious that our beds were taken, leaving possessions such as books and pyjamas on our beds, however one night when we returned to the hostel our things had been moved off our beds and thrown on the floor and replaced by other people's. My friend went downstairs to complain about this and they told her there was nothing they could do, we just had to remove the other persons belongings and replace them with our own. We did this, however a few minutes later the girl who had moved my things came in and was obviously annoyed that her things had been moved, I explained that this had been my bed for several nights and she moved her things to another bed. I was then sat next to my bed with my possessions left all over it when a guy came in and threw his bag on my bed and started to unpack, feeling that I'd made it very obvious that this bed was taken I again explained that this was my bed and he went off into another room to try and find a spare one. I then went down to complain, as by this point my friend and I felt unable to leave our dorm in case our possessions were lost or our beds taken, I was again told that there was nothing could be done.
Other than the bed issue the rest of this hostel was OK. WiFi was good and there was a wide range of hot breakfasts included in the price of the hostel. There was some decoration work going on whilst we were there and the place was relatively clean, just messy.
The only other thing that annoyed us was our experience on the first night, when people were coming in and out of the dorms as if trying to find someone, after a while someone opened the door and whispered someone else's name, before the manager came in, turned the light on and pulled someone out of bed before escorting him out of the dorm. We weren't entirely sure what was going on here, but it caused a great deal of sleep disturbance at about 3am.
I wouldn't go back to this hostel due to the lack of sleep and the fear of losing my bed or my belongings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Charlotte2610
laganbackpackers, Owner at Lagan Backpackers, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
My appologies. In future i will be employing a security gaurd that just stand in your dorm room all day incase someone misses the fact that you have pajamas under your pillow and attempt to take your bed.
We will also impose a 10pm curfew so that no one can enter or leave shared dorm rooms. Like in your case where a person getting very ill and me fetching him to take him to hospital at 1:40am after his friend left the room to seek my help. I should have let him die. At least you would not have been discomforted for 30 seconds. I mean its a dorm room as well. How do your room mates dare!.

Again my sinsere apologies
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Staff are extremely helpful and friendly. You get a hot breakfast included, which is unusual for a hostel. Not exactly central, however, it's less than a 5 minute walk to the centre. Less than 2 minutes from good coffee, meals and decent bars. The lovely staff and good location will have me coming back the next time i'm in Belfast

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank AlliK3
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hostel is on a quiet street that's only a minute walk away from some great attractions. The staff is super friendly and helpful - upon arriving I had to get to an ER, they checked to see if the nearest one was still open, and made sure to check in with me several times after I returned. They made the stressful situation so much simpler. On top of that they have showers with very hot water and great water pressure. After weeks of travel I was in heaven taking a shower!!

Room Tip: They let you see the room and choose what bed you want, which is way better than just being assigned...