“Great place!”
Review of Lagan Backpackers

Lagan Backpackers
Ranked #12 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Belfast
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This was definitely a great place to stay and see Belfast from! It is located a bit farther from the center of the city, but it is still within walking distance and the friendly and helpfulness of the staff more than makes up for it. Also the room I stayed in was very spacy and comfortable. The shower was not the cleanest but I had a short stay so it was manageable. The hot breakfast is a fantastic addition that adds to the experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Almost perfect hostel! :)
Staff is great (greatly appreciate free welcome whiskey :) ), great breakfast, great people to hang out with.
Belfast is also great city full of places to visit and a lot of shocky history. Black taxi tour is must see!
I recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The hostel is big, always a free shower with lots of hot water. The staff are more than willing to help with any questions you have, not that you could have any! They give you a full tutorial of Belfast when you get there! Really great hostel

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed in the Lagan Backapackers for one night and found the place really nice.The staff was really friendly and the full english breakfast deligthful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lhoyet
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed here for three nights. I was supposed to be in a single room, but the first night they put me in a double room. The room was quite alright, with a sky light. There was a bathroom in front of it that was always kept clean and full of toilet paper.

The people running the place were quite nice, especially the girls, who were in charge of cooking breakfast.

For the next two nights I was transferred to a single room, which was quite alright, although right next to the reception so you may have to bear with hearing all the conversations going on outside your room, as well as out on the street outside your window. But worry not, it does quiet down as the night goes late.

The bathroom near my room was a bit dark, though. it would be nice if there was a bit more light in there. But it's clean, which is what's most important.

The matresses are a bit old, although I can deal with it. It would be nice if they could get better pillows though since the ones in both rooms I were in were rather flat.

All in all though, for £28 a night, it was a pretty good stay :)

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I recently stayed in Lagan's Hosel with a group of friends for a weekend break. We had read good reviews of this hostel and decided to book it. On arrival the hostel appeared to be pretty average. The mattresses on most of the beds we're in dire need of replacing, the hostel appeared a little run down, the shower room was being rennovated and only showers on differnent floors were available, and some of the 'art work' in the bathrooms I found offensive.
The lady who worked the reception was extremely friendly and informative about the hostel and Belfast itself, so these issues were put aside and we carried on with our weekend away.

Our real problem arose when we returned home from our evening out after the bar had closed. We rang the bell (as you are not given a key to the front door and you are told to ring the bell and someone will answer) and waited... and waited, rang again and again.... after 10 minutes of ringing the bell and waiting in the cold we reached the conclusion that the bell to the front door was either broken or that the wireless pager was out of range so we knocked on the door several times as well as continuing to ring the bell. Eventually after another 5 minutes had past the door opened by what appeared to be person who was staying in the hostel. We informed him that we had been waiting 15 minutes and were cold and wanted to go into the hostel. This person appeared to be joking about letting us in and tried to close the door in our faces and he was more than happy to leave us on the doorstep. After I showed him my key to the hostel to prove I was staying there (we were not given any tokens to prove we were staying there in place of a front door key) He said he was staying there and didn't know if he should let us in. So we asked him if he could get someone who could allow us in and we would wait outside. Eventually the door opened and we got into the lobby to which we were greeted by the owner and 2 other people (it is unclear if they worked there too, were staying in the hostel or if they were friends of the owner visiting him while he worked the night shift) who appeared from another room and then the owner showered us with abuse about 'banging' on the door and swore at us several times.

The owner's extremely aggressive behaviour and outbursts led to a slight confrontation with one of our party, who did not appreciate being left in the cold and being abused in this manner, as he tried to climb up the stairs to bed... so therefore the manager threw him out and threatened the rest of the group with a 300 pound fine if we let our friend into the hostel. Reasoning with this man seemed impossible and after nearly 30 mintues we returned to our room to look for alternative accomodation.

Later when our friend was returning from the bathroom and she met the manager and tried to reason with him and explain the situation. He revealed to her that he (and the other people he was with when he opened the door) had seen us all standing outside from inside the reception and "stood there with his arms folded and laughed at us"

The following morning as we were now checking out a day early as we were extremely uncomfortable staying in a place that the manager was abusive and had allowed our friend to sleep in his car for the night , we tried to speak to the manager again in a 'calmer environment' about the incidient before leaving. He was unapproachable, didn't greet us or ask us to give us an explanation about what had happened the night before, wouldn't allow any of us to make our points or attempt to listen to us, swore at us, and was confrontational. When I calmly confronted him with regards why he stood laughing at us while we rang and knocked on the door he replied that he didn't open the door because we had 'banged the door'... I asked why didn't he open the door to us to see what the problem was and to ask us why we were knocking and not ringing the bell he again shouted " because you banged on the door'... He also told us repeatedly that we were only outside for 5 mins and that he had CCTV footage of us banging on the door and that we were only outside for 5 minutes. When we asked to see this CCTV footage of us outside 'banging' on the door while we only waited for 5 minutes and not the 15 minutes like we said, he again yelled profanties at us while screaming 'you banged on the door!'. We realised we were unable to speak with a man so arrogant so we settled our bill for the 2 nights despite the fact we were not going to stay that night, thanked the recepionist who had been very polite and easy to deal with and left.

This was a nightmare situation that could have been avoided if he had just opened the door to ask what the problem was instead of coming over with all guns blazing when we finally managed to enter the hostel. I didn't think it was possible to meet someone who was worse then the character Basil Fawlty but I did last weekend and it was not even a fraction as funny as the t.v show, it was like something out of the movie Horror Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank Fiona P
laganbackpackers, Owner at Lagan Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

Ok i am not allowed to insult you the way you insulted me when you were asked to leave because of anti-social behaveour. And it seems if i describe the insident(the actual version) my response gets cancelled as it seems like i am insulting you so ill stick with this.

This review is nothing but vindictive because i asked you and your group to find alternative accommodation. One of your friends appologised to me on email for the incident you guys created
Your essey version of what actually happend is less than candit and very well fabricated to make you sound like the vicim instaed of admitting to making the hostel a nightmare for other guests.

There are many reviews here and other sites left by people that behaved resionally while at my hostel. I hope other potential guests will keep them in mind

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Lagan Backpackers should be closed down. The accommodation is infested with bed bugs. I actually got bitten by bed bugs while sleeping on the bed. I had vacate the room and slept in the sitting room. I am still facing the consequences of these bed bugs. I will advise everyone, if you love your body and enjoy peace of mind, please avoid the accommodation

Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank Seun B
laganbackpackers, Owner at Lagan Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

WOW eventually you guys will grow up and accept responsibility for being removed by the police, or get sued for defimation becuase of all the lies!
Any backpacker will read that all the bad reviews are from group that was made to leave by the police! becuase of bad behavour and extreme intoxication that made everyone in the hostel uncomfortable and not feel safe.
Out of thousands of online reviews the only really bad ones are from you guys! Your identities wont be safe forever... Then ill see you in court!