“Great Hotel in Excellent Location, but shower / bathroom not good enough”

Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed here on a short 2 night city break in March. The hotel is very centrally located, being a stones throw away from the historic St Ann’s Cathedral. We were easily able to walk to all the main touristy sites such as Titanic Belfast, City Hall and Crumlin Road Gaol. We took the bus from the airport and had told the driver the name of the hotel on boarding - who then very kindly called us out on reaching the St Ann’s Square bus stop. The hotel has a nice lobby and reception area, and there is also an in-house restaurant adjacent to reception – which we didn’t visit.

Our twin room was spacious, comfortable and had a pleasant décor. There was a TV in the room but no fridge or mini bar. Breakfast wasn’t included in our stay, so we opted not to pay the extra £12 to have this at the hotel.

I would also recommend the 1 day excursion to the Giant’s Causeway with Allen Tours, which can be booked via reception for the bargain price of £16! This includes the journey there via a very scenic route looking on the coast on one side, and cliffs, caves and fields on the other! The tour has a number of additional stops at a castle, the rope bridge and a brewery. Our tour kind was very knowledgably and kept us entertained throughout the journey.

The worst aspect of our room, by far, was the design of the shower, which was on the same level as the rest of the bathroom with only a partial partition. As the rate at which the water went through the plug hole in the floor was extremely slow, it was only a couple of minutes before I was standing in a puddle of soapy water. Within 10 minutes the water had penetrated the entire bathroom floor, a few more minutes with the shower on would have resulted in water seeping through the bathroom door and onto the carpet in the room.

We did complain to reception on check out and they acknowledged this was a regular problem / complaint. Overall I would recommend this hotel provided you can book it at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
RE_Manager_13, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Tahir10

Thank you for your review and I am glad to read that you had an enjoyable and busy time while here exploring the sites on offer.

I apologise regarding your shower issues while it is not a routine issue the pipes do at times get clogged up after guest use, something our maintenance & housekeeping teams are always checking.I am sorry that on this occasion it appears your was not fully operational and I hope that it did not take from what seemed an enjoyable visit by yourself.

There are newer reviews for Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here last weekend, we came over on the ferry with a coach load from the panthers supporters club, we were over watching the panthers play belfast giants- ice hockey! Good location, very close to all tourist attractions, room was clean with everything you would expect staff very kind and helpfull, no parking but as we on coach that wasnt an issue as the coach parked elsewhere anyway. Drinks at the bar expensive but i had expected this.

Dear dawn p

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your trip over to Belfast & staying with ourselves, I hope that we can look forward to seeing you again in the near future for another enjoyable visit.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel is modern and clean. It's in a good location, only a few minutes walk from the main shopping district and bars / restaurants. The lobby & bar has free WIFI however the bedrooms only have 30 minutes free after which there is a charge which in 2014 is ridiculous. I used a booking site to make the reservation and it was pay on arrival however when I was checking the receptionist advised me that payment had already been taken from the credit card attached to the booking site which annoyed me as it had taken away my option of paying with cash or debit card. The same happened to my travelling companion, they had their card debited 1 week before arrival. There was a boiling kettle like hissing noise all night in the bathroom which could be heard in the bedroom even with the door closed. A good point about the room was that there is a plug beside the bed which although sounds simple, it's lacking in so many hotels & with smart phone batteries not lasting so long it's always a welcome feature. There is no parking facilities however there is an outdoor pay council carpark across the street or a private underground car park €27 for the duration of the stay it was quite an extra expense & had I realised how much I would have paid extra for a hotel with free parking.

1  Thank bl0ndie895

Dear bl0ndie895

I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay us as much as we would have expected you to.

Regarding our internet charge we offer very competitive rates which are similar to many Belfast hotels, we have recently upgraded our speed to twice its previous speed with no extra charge to our guests.

I apologise for the debiting of yours & your friends room charge before your arrival and have spoken to our Front Office Manager to pass onto his team as this is not our normal procedure unless you have purchased an "Advance Purchase" rate.

On the noise coming from your bathroom, it sounds as though the fan in the bathroom has been on, usually this noise is minimal and not a problem for guests though I apologise that it was too loud on this occasion, however I would empathise that we do have our front desk manned 24/7 in order to help with any guest needs and I am sure our team could have moved you rooms had you required or had maintenance look at the fan noise had it been reported.

I do hope that you choose us again should you be back in Belfast and allow us to show all of our good points and do our best to ensure you encounter no bad points.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The room was quite nice and suitable for our visit but the bathroom floor tiles and grouting was quite stained so was concerned about hygiene. We only paid £20 each night for two nights we were there so cannot complain but if I had been paying the 2 night package for £158 I would not have been happy at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
1  Thank Lorraine M

Dear Lorraine M

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to enjoy another great stay.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

clean spacious room, check in and out very efficient, and special mention to the very professional and accomodating night staff. This is ideal if you are out and about in Belfast due to the close proximity of the cathedral quarter.

Dear 846Anne

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of our great location and the surrounding Cathedral Quarter.

I hope that you choose us again in the future when next having a Belfast break so that we can again offer you a great place to relax.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed as part of a larger group. Room very clean and ready early on arrival day. Had a lovely meal in the bar - the menu before 7.30pm is great value for money. Plenty of choice at breakfast. All staff really friendly & helpful. Great location for exploring shopping centres and Titanic Belfast. Would stay again.

Dear GemBz

Thank you very much for your kind review regarding your stay with us and I am delighted we helped you enjoy your trip, I hope that you choose us again in the future for your next stay in Belfast.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Up on arrival found this hotel better than expected.check in quick and simple as other people at tge time around reception.however found room being nice and spacious enough.and then night came over- it was damn windy and there was something wrong with window- wind blew in;all over this heating is switched off during the night,so had almost no sleep on first night.wind blowing in through window,making terrible noise + heating off = extreme sleep like under the bridge.didnt report straight away as partner was sleeping and disnt want to wake up. wanted to report this next morning,but up on our leave,there was no one at desk and we didnt have a time to wait as going for a tour.came back in afternoon and asked if extra heater could be brought to room in case room is cold- as we left heating on at morning in hope room will be warm,thought it will stay warm whole night and we wont use heater,but on return of dinner found the same- heating off and cold room. We got lucky there wasn't wind that high anymore - so warm and quiet room gave us good sleep.concluding our stay- nice room and comfy beds,friendly staff.if I would get something similar to deal I've got for stay,would stay again,but 70-90€ I think I is slightly too pricey.
Oh, and room service - delivery charge of 7.5£??? This beats most of 5* hotels and waiter must be retired president's personal servant.
P.s. stayed in room #511

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
RE_Manager_13, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear BravoJohny

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to read that yo0u did not fully enjoy your stay.I apologise for the poor first nights sleep that you had, though I wuld stress that we would have been more than happy to move you rooms had the issues been reported to reception, though I understand your reasons for leaving it.

We do have staff on our desk 24/7 and I am sorry to read on you not being able to find a member of staff at the desk whilst you were there and have asked our Front Of house manager to look into this.

I would also like to add that after discussions with our Food & Beverage Manager and guest response we have reduced our room service charge significantly from this week onwards.

Thank you again for your review and I hope that you may stay with us again should you return to Belfast and allow us the oppurtunity to give you the kind of treatment we hope to give all our guests.