“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Lavey-les-Bains, Switzerland
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I've stayed at the Ramada Encore several times now and I have to say you won't get better value for money anywhere in Belfast or indeed anywhere in Northern Ireland.

One recommendation I would make is to sample the hotel restaurant. Belfast has a handful of decent restaurants, most of which are extortionately priced. I found there to be an excellent choice on offer at a very reasonable price. I can recommend the sirloin - both my partners and mine were cooked to perfection.

Excellent location, close to city center, cathedral quarter & concert venues.

Staff are friendly (Hotel manager, Mark, made us feel very welcome) and the rooms are always spotless.

We will be back!

Thanks, Damian & Kerri

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Firstly I would like to say that for 4 years I have worked in the hotel Industry. I always try to be fair when writing my Trip Advisor reviews as I know that people can be quite harsh, embellishing any negative experiences that they have and disregarding the positive experiences.

My experience with the Encore Ramada was not very pleasant. We booked this hotel as I was getting married in Belfast City Hall, and would be spending the night before the wedding with my Bridesmaids here, and getting ready in the room before heading off to the Merchant to spend my wedding night there. I e-mailed the hotel to see if there was any possibility of getting a cheeky upgrade to one of their superior rooms, I explained our situation and how I thought the extra space would come in handy whilst trying to get the dress on! The reply I got was as follows:

Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately all our room are the same size, our exc rooms are still the same size as our standard rooms.

Kind regards,

I didn't expect to be given an upgrade and I knew I was being cheeky by requesting one, however I did find the response to be excessively blunt. The hotel that I work at in Dublin gets upgrade requests from Honeymooners/brides-to-be on a daily basis and we nearly always try to accommodate the request. If we are unable to we at least thank the guest for choosing our hotel and congratulate them on their upcoming wedding! This E-mail did not give me a great first impression of the Hotel's customer service.

The hotel itself is in a great location, very central and in the lovely modern Cathedral Quarter of Belfast. Casey checked us in and she was lovely! Very friendly and helpful. She organised for our wedding flowers to be stored in the Hotel's fridge. The Lobby area is nice and modern and the rooms are very clean. The bathrooms were clean and modern and the shower had good water pressure.

The beds weren't great. We stayed in a twin room and the beds were very hard. Each bed only had 1 very thin pillow and I had to bulk it up a bit by putting some towels under it! The walls to the hotel are also very thin, I was kept awake until about 3.30am listening to the guests in the room next to us having a conversation, not an ideal situation to find yourself in the night before your wedding. I could also hear the noise from the lift.

My work colleagues in Dublin organised for a bottle of Champagne to be in my room, which it was....although the Encore never left a note with the Champagne, so I had no idea who left it in my room. I actually thought it may have been from the hotel and went down to reception to thank them for it! It was only a few days later that I was informed by a friend that my work colleagues actually organised it. It seems like the reception was very disorganised, normally when a surprise has been organised to be left into a room, you would expect to find a note informing the recipient who sent it.

It was my poor work colleagues who then experienced just how disorganised the Encore appear to be. When ordering the Champagne, my friend provided her credit card number and confirmed with the hotel that they must only charge it for the Champagne. It turns out that they charged the card not only for the champagne, but also for one of the bedrooms that we had booked and an unknown c.€300 charge that is still being investigated.

When one of the Bridesmaids went to check out they were told that their room was already paid. They asked the hotel to double check as they knew they had not paid and the hotel insisted it had been. They thought that maybe I had looked after the payment of the room, but it turns out that the hotel just decided to randomly charge my poor work colleague's credit card!

To call the experience a shambles is an understatement. My poor work colleague's credit card was charged for nearly €400 when all she wanted to pay for was a bottle of Champagne!

We have been in touch with the hotel several times and they really don't seem to know what they are doing. From my own experience in the industry, I know that mistakes can happen, but we would fix them straight away, nearly 2 weeks later the Encore still seem to be confused about what happened and we are still waiting for them to rectify the error.

In conclusion, I would still recommend this hotel as somewhere clean, reasonably priced and in a great location. Don't expect too much re sleep quality and make sure you DO NOT give them your credit card number. Pay cash at all times!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DubinLass
Co Down
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife on a saturday night. When checking in staff were not really friendly and just went through motions. We had paid for an upgrade to an executive suite and on arrival in room this was certainly not the case! No robes, no drinks, small room, not even a bath! Went down to reception only to be told there is no "executive" rooms, all rooms are the same! Would send up the robes etc. Told her to forget bout it and just charge me the basic, this couldnt be done. When they sent up the extras it was a basket with soap etc, robe, slippers, small box of pringles, tin of coke and bott of water! When checking out I got no conversation at all, very ignorant, never asked did I enjoy my stay or anything. Overall a bad experience and I wont be back

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We are just back from a wonderful weekend in fantastic belfast . Our son and his beautiful girlfriend , gave us as a Christmas present which included Michael Mckintyre show, titanic exhibition etc etc . We ate out both nights wagamamas and mac both very good, the ramada encore city centre easy walking distance to everything , staff were really great , very helpful and friendly especially the bar staff and receptionists. The receptionist printed off our travel documents free of charge , wifi free , great atmosphere in bar area 1/2 price cocktails from 3pm , room rates brilliant , bedrooms of good standard , wet room was great bonus as not expected . All in all a great time had by all . If back in Belfast we will certainly use ramada encore again. Thanks for a fab weekend. D M J and F

Room Tip: No tip for choosing a good room , just be in the bar for 1/2 price cocktails from 3pm
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank james037
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Nice, modern hotel located close to many restaurants and pubs. About 5 blocks from
the heart of downtown. A little out of the way from the bus and train stations. It took a taxi to
get there because it's not on the local bus routes.

Rooms were pretty basic and one of the coldest of our 3 week trip to Ireland. Complained to the front desk on 3 occasions. There were no extra blankets in the room, so they gave us another Duvet but never fixed the heating in the room. From other reviews, it looks like it's a chronic problem. For the price, there should have been some amenities in the room, soap, shampoo etc.

Front desk staff was very friendly but the front desk was always in chaos because of understaffing. One clerk checking out several bus loads of tourists at a time.

Room Tip: Check the Day's Inn right at the bus station. HIghly recommended by others. Eat at the Kitchen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SanDiegoWayne
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as part of a “Grand Tour of Ireland” trip with JustGo Holidays.
JustGo value for money cannot be faulted, but I would suggest researching the hotels they use carefully as some of them can be “Iffy”. If you are travelling with this company be prepared for regimental timing at all hotels, particularly in the eating department !!
The rooms here are comfortable and good, although no baths, the food is good and the staff are helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New Westminster, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We booked in here for 4 nights. free WIFI for only one half hour per day per room. The hotel computer in the Lobby was slow & missing keys. The hotel staff were not up to speed on what was available in the area re restaurants or services & one of the managers was quite abrupt with us. Some of the staff tried but,I really think they lacked the training, the INTERNET & the will on the part of the owners. I would highly recomend you stay elsewhere in Belfast as the people in the city are truly lovely, warm and helpful.

Room Tip: book into the Europa or another hotel or B&B!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family