“Regular Visitor”

Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Regular Visitor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times over the past 8 months sometimes for a month at a time and I find the hotel very comfortable. the rooms are always clean, towels replaced everyday. The beds are comfortable and the noise never really bothered me if i was on the road side of the hotel. The rooms are very warm and i didnt even have my radiator on. The walk in shower has very good water pressure.

The staff- Very friendly and helpful. i have never had a bad experience from any member of staff.

The breakfast in the morning is buffet style, the bar food has a good range.

The hotel also does daily deals in the bar area.

The hotel is only a few miles from Belfast city airport, you can walk to the city hall in a few minutes or you can walk to the oydessey.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the 40's as they have less people walking by
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian C
JTopping, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Dear Brian C,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us and I hope I can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Jonathan Topping

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Turkish first
N.Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

Just back from an over night stay with my chum c/o groupon deal & was very pleased. Room on 5th floor looking into courtyard so no bother with noise. Everything you would need in room for a short stay, beds extremely comfortable & 2 thick pillows supplied (previous comments were bad on this). Only niggle re room was the heat! Middle of the night, radiator wasn't on & window open but still very stuffy!

As part of deal ate in restaurant at night, staff very pleasant & helpful, had the steak which was cooked as I like it but couldn't believe that they didn't have any English mustard? Staff very apologetic but surely they have been asked for this before? Breakfast next morning was excellent.

All in all a good hotel to stay in, great to see so many local people using the hotel, attending concerts, shopping trips etc. Would definitely go back if the price was right.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank NIrelandMags
Dear NIrelandMags,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us and can I advise you to keep looking our for special offers as they are available quite often!

Milton Keynes, UK.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

We chose the Ramada Encore Belfast as we were to attend a wedding at Belfast Castle and wanted a place to stay that was close to the castle as well as the city centre. We also got a good deal through Expedia.

We arrived at 9am and we knew that our room wouldn’t be ready until 3pm, but as my other-half needed to dial in on his laptop to his office to do some work we asked about the possibility of an early check-in if a room became available and we were advised that if a room was available sooner then this would indeed be possible.

Customer service / Staff
So we settled down in the lobby to make use of the free Wifi instead and at about 10am we decided to order some food and drink, as we had been up and travelling since 4am and were pretty hungry. Now, this is where we started to question the place we were staying in!..... We ordered a coffee, a Sprite, a bacon and egg sandwich and veggie sandwich, but were then advised that we could not order the two food items until midday as only the breakfast buffet was available until this time. I explained that we had been travelling since 4am and it now felt like lunchtime to us and not breakfast time and could they not do anything for us as my other-half had to work so we couldn’t go out to eat elsewhere, the waitress said that we could get the food we wanted if we ordered it as room-service instead, so I explained that we didn’t yet have a room, so we were told that nothing could be done for us then. I was gob–smacked as it was obvious that they COULD do the food (As it was available for room service) but it was a case of just being down-right inflexible and unhelpful to customers. I wasn’t asking for the moon on a stick, just a couple of sarnies!

With this in mind and not wanting to “shoot the messenger” (The waitress in this case) I went to the reception and pleaded our case! The receptionist went off to check, but came back and I was told the same thing. So I asked the receptionist if in that case they would they turn a blind eye to us bring a Subway sarnie in there?!.. To which I was told no! So I flounced off, muttering loudly about bad customer service under my breath! When a few minutes later, a waiter appeared and said that the chef had advised him that we wanted sandwiches and could he take our order. Am not sure what happened in that space of time, but I was very grateful and the food was nice.

I did start to worry that we’d booked in to a Fawlty Towers establishment after the initial “can’t do” attitude, but after that we were pleasantly surprised, we managed to get in to our room at midday (3 hours early) and every member of staff we encountered were excellent. They were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Three members of staff that stood out for us were Hakan, Sean and Emma. They were all so good at what they did and made us feel valued as customers. We must say too, that we thought Sean was hilarious in his manner, really friendly and jovial and had great local knowledge. We couldn’t criticise anything about our customer service after the “sandwich-gate storm” had been rectified!

The Room
The room was bright, modern and airy, basic yet very adequate on the whole. The only slight criticisms that we had were that the double-glazing was not only filthy on the outside, but also didn’t block out much of the traffic noise, the pillows weren’t very comfortable and the bedroom doors really slam loudly, it’s hard to close them quietly and in the morning slamming doors woke us up a few times. On the up-side, the bijou bathroom was fit for purpose, the bed was comfortable, the room was equipped with the basics and the blackout curtains worked a treat.

The Area
The hotel was about a 5 minute walk from the shops, bars and restaurants and also just a 5 minute walk from the number 300 bus that was the 24 hour shuttle from Belfast International Airport. The bus stop closest to the hotel is outside the university.

Overall
I have stayed in many hotels over the years and I also used to be a mystery shopper / diner, so I do have high standards. For the money I though this hotel was great value, it was lovely and modern without compromising on comfort and despite the shaky start with the staff / hotel rules I found our stay to be enjoyable and we would definitely return again. I know the hotel manager reads these reviews and hopefully he will be able to respond to the initial issues we had and praise the staff that I mentioned as they were a real credit to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bradders33
Dear Bradders3,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay in the Encore. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Ramada Encore is an OK 3-star hotel in the very heart of Belfast. Lots of businessmen, 15 mins from the Goerge Best Airport. So lots going for it. The staff could not have been more helpful throughout the hotel and breakfasts were buffet-style 'Full English' and a good selection of everything you may want.

The negatives were: 1-thin pillow (mentioned by other customers) - we asked for an extra one and it was brought to the door immediately.. No bath (walk-in shower area) and no fan (so mirror steamed up all the time...and the door was blistered from constant steam. We asked for a quiet room with a courtyard view (following tips from other trip advisers) and got a quiet room facing a very close multi-storey carpark.

However, would I stay there again? Yes - at £79 for two of us I think it was just right for what we needed. Can I also recomment a fantastic new foodie restaurant/cafe opened by people from the Republic called AVOCA. Worth a visit...only a short walk.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Jingle05,

Thank you for reviewing your stay in the Encore. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and will be returning to the hotel soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Fantastic hotel. Comfortable and great location. My only complaint is I booked months ahead for a twin room but was given a double. When I spoke to reception they said they would not change the room as they were booked out. But surely having checked in at 1pm there would have been a room available? Also there was one bath towel and one dressing gown and we didn't bother ringing housekeeping for more, it seems strange to not automatically supply two.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Puzzl,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. We do try and accommodate all guest requests, but unfortunately from time to time we are unable to do so. Please accept my apologies if your stay was unduly affected by this.

I hope I can welcome you back to the Encore soon,

Stirling
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Our stay was part of a Stena Line Ferry/Hotel package from Stranraer.
Hotel was brilliant location close to St Anne's Cathedral and the many Bars and Restaurants of the recently developed (and still developing) Cathedral Quarter.
Hotel room was adequate, clean, comfortable bed, TV, Tea/Coffee, free 1/2 hr internet, all you need, but no wardrobe, which for a couple of nights is no problem. Good walk in shower within compact en suite.
Hot breakfast buffet style was fine, and evening meal was good value and quality.
Great idea for early diners was to pay in pounds what the time was at ordering for your Main Course. (Fresh Haddock mushy peas& fries £6.15 when ordered at quarter past six)

Room Tip: If you like fresh air like us and leave window open a room away from the busy By Pass (Lower numbers...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
JTopping, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Dear Golfer37,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in the hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope I can welcome you back to the Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre soon.

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

My colleague and I booked the Ramada via Hotels.com for a conference in the Waterfront. The conference team had arranged a special deal with the hotel for attendees giving a slightly reduced rate for B&B and complimentary internet, approximately €55 per room per night.

I arrived around 6pm and checked in. My colleague who arrived 2 hours later was told on arrival the hotel was full and they would have to send him to another hotel. This was also the case for at least 3 others including friends attending the conference. The hotel was seemingly unapologetic and claimed that others had stayed on for an extra night in the hotel thus filling all their rooms.

The room was overlooking the car park which was great from the point of view of peace and quiet but not obviously great for anyone looking for a bit of a view. The room was simple and clean and perfect as a place to put your head for the night.

The complimentary internet (wired internet) code didn't work and after 2 calls to reception they agreed to allow me to charge a 24 hour pass to the room and cancel it at check-out which they did. The hairdryer didn't work and the lightbulb in the shower area was blown.

Wifi in the reception area is basic and needs to be logged into every half hour.

Breakfast was fine with a small self-service buffet of cereals, fruit, bread and cooked English breakfast staples.

Overall, the hotel is good value for a city centre stay at €55 B&B. However, the complete disaster of over-booking the hotel for so many people with a large patnering event was put a big dampner on the stay as friends and colleagues were spread in hotels all over town rather than in the same hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the car park for a quieter night's sleep. There's no air conditioning cont...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Dear cloudsteph,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in the hotel. Overbooking of hotels is not a common occurrence in Belfast, however on periods of high demand in can and does happen in most hotels, not only in Belfast but around the globe. We do out utmost to prevent any of our guests not getting to stay in the Encore, however on the rare occasion when we are forced to outbook guests to our competitors we always try and accommodate our guests as much as possible, with complimentary taxis and upgrades of hotel type if available.

Please accept my apologies if this impacted on your stay and I hope you and your colleagues will return to Belfast and the Encore soon.